Chef's Table

Bloodhound 1

I don't believe it is on the same night on every ship. It really depends on the itinerary and length.

We were recently on a 10 day cruise and they offered it twice.

Whatever day it is on your cruise...DO. NOT. MISS. IT. It was fantastic!!!

Enjoy ;)

Does anyone know if they've changed the menu at all since it started being offered? I read a menu (that was from early 2012 I believe) and it sounded ok' date=' but not "wow", and I'm not sure it's totally worth it. We'll be on a 9-night cruise on the Gem, I wonder if they'll offer it twice.[/quote']

The menu is the same since they rolled it out earlier this year. However, we were told that they hope to change it up. When...I have no idea. The food on the menu now to be honest with you was definitely a WOW - everything was so good I can't even begin to describe how much. It is totally worth it. I

Here is what they announced. I believe you can sign up as soon as you get on the ship at the restaurant reservations desk, no pre sign up but if your haven suite or Platinum level you may have options.

We are thrilled to unveil our intimate, once-in-a-lifetime Chef’s Table Dining Experience. Guests who attend will marvel in an incredible culinary adventure as they feast on a nine-course, upscale menu consisting of unique and contemporary creations using the highest quality ingredients, sophisticated cooking techniques, flavor compositions and captivating presentations. All courses are accompanied by wines that are specially paired by the line’s Master Sommelier Andrea Robinson. Some of the dishes served at the two-and-a-half hour Chef’s Table dining experience are: an Amuse Bouche ‘Molecular Gastronome’ consisting of Spherical Mango, Vodka & Jalapeno Ravioli, an Orange-Wasabi Glazed Ahi Tuna Tartar with freshly-baked Sesame Crisp, Asparagus Cream, a Short Crust Tartlet and a delightful Grapefruit Moscato Granite, Plantain- Crusted, Pan Seared Sea Bass accompanied by Mango, Papaya & Avocado Salsa and Lobster Veloute, a Milk-Fed Veal Chop with Anna Potatoes, Sautéed Spinach and Truffle Veal Jus, a specially-selected cheese platter that boasts an assortment of gourmet cheeses and then the dessert grand finale, which consists of either a Yogurt-Mousse Dome with Lychee Raspberry Crème, Hazel Sablee and Lime Vanilla Reduction; or a Chocolate Log with ‘Spiced’ Dark Rum, Infused Banana and Cocoa Mousse. The Chef’s Table is limited to 12 guests per exclusive dining experience, incudes a behind the scenes galley tour, two photos and is offered once per cruise on board Norwegian ships fleet-wide, with the exception of Norwegian Jade which rolls out March 22, 2012.

I agree that the menu does not have the "WOW" factor of most other Chef's Tasting menus we have had elsewhere, but the food was very, very good. Not truly excellent as some (very high priced) tastings we have had the pleasure to enjoy, but very delicious nonetheless, and certainly the best food we have ever had on a ship, and the price was excellent! Worth every penny for the six of us, but it was a loooong dinner (ours was well over three hours, maybe even more). I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Robin

I agree that the menu does not have the "WOW" factor of most other Chef's Tasting menus we have had elsewhere, but the food was very, very good. Not truly excellent as some (very high priced) tastings we have had the pleasure to enjoy, but very delicious nonetheless, and certainly the best food we have ever had on a ship, and the price was excellent! Worth every penny for the six of us, but it was a loooong dinner (ours was well over three hours, maybe even more). I would do it again in a heartbeat!

Robin

Thanks for the menu, johnmpcny, and the opinions, Robin! We are real foodies, and have had amazing meals at some of the best restaurants in the world, so while it does sound tasty, it doesn't have that "wow" factor you mention. We might give it a try anyway, or I might treat my mom to it for her birthday (since originally we were going to take her to an NYC 3-star but ended up taking her on the cruise instead).

It seems odd to me that they have the same menu fleet-wide and it doesn't change, since that kind of goes away from the idea that it is a special meal suited to the chef's particular talents, and using seasonal foods, which is generally the case at land-based fine restaurants. And you're right that at $75 pp it isn't nearly the cost of many of those establishments!

We will be on the Star for a seven day cruise out of New Orleans. Can anyone tell me what night they did the Chef's dinner on a cruise of that length?

Until that Itinerary begins, no one will be able to tell you, because it changes with each itinerary. Currently the Star is doing the Bermuda itinerary, and the Chef's Table is on Thursday, while the ship is in port. It's impossible to say if it will still be on the same day during your sailing. :(

Thanks for the information WaldosPepper. We are on the first sailing for that itinerary so I will have to wait until I get on board.:(

I will be on the last Bermuda sailing, and will try to find out whatever I can for you. If I'm successful, I'll post the answer in this thread. It will only give you a little bit of notice, but better than nothing I suppose. I'll see what I can learn for you. ;)

Specific to the Sky....the Sky does 3 and 4 day cruises from Miami. We did a b2b last May so we were on both the 3 and 4 day cruises. On the Sky the Chef's Table was only offered on the 4 day cruise. We attended and had a great time. The event has a max of 12 people but ours only had 8. We were in a private room with our own wait staff, visits by the head chef, pictures with the chef and table mates, great food and wine pairings and a private tour of the galley the next morning with the head chef. Would do again in a heartbeat.

My DH and I will have our 1 yr old and 3 yr old sons with us and can't drop the 1yr old at the kids club. can we sign up for 1 spot at the table and switch partway thru so that we can both experience part of it and not leave the kids wandering the passageways aimlessly?:)

My DH and I will have our 1 yr old and 3 yr old sons with us and can't drop the 1yr old at the kids club. can we sign up for 1 spot at the table and switch partway thru so that we can both experience part of it and not leave the kids wandering the passageways aimlessly?:)

I have no idea if they would even allow you to do this but, I think you'd both be disappointed in the experience.

We were on the Gem 1-8 Sept, and had booked the Chefs table through the pre cruise concierge. The day of the dinner we received about 5 messages from various people apologizing but that due to lack of interest, they had cancelled it. Turns out only 2 couples had booked. We were offered a complimentary dinner with wine at Le Bistro instead. Very disappointing, but at least NCL did the correct thing we felt....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We were on the last cruise to Bermuda (Dawn from Boston) and had a wonderful time at the Chef's table. It was Tuesday night at 6:30 we sailed from Bermuda that day.

There was 16 of us ... a larger group than normal. We got on the ship around 11:30 and signed up right away for the dinner ... I was surprised there was seating left. Had great food, wonderful people, and a totally lovely time. Jan

We were on the last cruise to Bermuda (Dawn from Boston) and had a wonderful time at the Chef's table. It was Tuesday night at 6:30 we sailed from Bermuda that day.

There was 16 of us ... a larger group than normal. We got on the ship around 11:30 and signed up right away for the dinner ... I was surprised there was seating left. Had great food, wonderful people, and a totally lovely time. Jan

So it isn't really restricted to 12 people then...Hmm. Would you know if maybe a large number of attendees were staying in suites? Perhaps they booked as a group late and the ship accommodated them?

I only know of one group (for sure) that was staying in a suite, and they booked before the cruise ... doesn't mean that others weren't staying in a suite also. Jan PS - didn't get the impression that anyone knew any others before we all met

We are staying in a suite this Dec on the Jewel. According to the pre-cruise concierge, they will pass on the request for Chef's Table to the on board concierge but no guarantee suite guests will get Chef's Table before everyone else - it is first come, first serve as far as we can tell. Of course we will be putting in our request in an effort to participate. Nice to know they will accomodate more than 12 because other cruise lines who will remain nameless won't go above 12 for their chef's table experience.

Archived