Public transportation - Black Falcon to Quincy Market

McGregor

Take the Silver Line (the stop is right outside the terminal) to South Station. Follow the signs in the station to the Red Line heading towards Alewife. You'll take the train 2 stops to Park Street. At Park St, go up one flight of stairs (you'll want the set of stairs labeled Eastbound or toward Government Center or something like that) and take the Green Line one stop to Government Center. When you exit, you'll see a hideous building in front of you (our lovely City Hall!) You'll want to walk in that direction and past City Hall and then down the large set of stairs. Go across the street and you'll see Faneuil Hall. Quincy Market is behind that.

Sorry for all the details...I promise it's not as complicated as it sounds, but I don't want you to get lost! Also, if you don't know, it's $2.50 to ride the train one way.

Just to add to the above, the transfers from Silver to Red to Green are all included in that $2.50 fare at least.

I'd actually suggest Red Line to Downtown Crossing (one stop prior to Park Street) -- change to the Orange Line and take that two stops north to Haymarket, as that is closer to Faneuil Hall.

The transfer from Red to Orange is a bit of a shlep, though (still all free transfers).

Me? I'd walk from South Station along the Greenway to Faneuil Hall. Especially if it's a nice day.

The transfer from the Red to the Orange line is fine. When you transfer to the Red line from the Silver Line at South Station, make a right when you get on the platform and go towards the very front of the train which is right there. When you get off at the next stop at Downtown Crossing, follow the signs to Oak Grove and the Orange line is right there at the top of the escalator.

I agree about taking the Orange Line to Haymarket. The walk is flat to the market and you can go past the Hollocaust Memorial and the Union Oyster House.

I think the transfer from the Red Line to the Green Line is more confusing. To do that right, you have to walk all the way to the back of the train on the Red Line platform at South station and you have to look for the Lechmere signs at Park St. The trolleys always seem busier and more crowded to me.

Coming out of South Station I would would north on Atlantic Ave past the Federal Reserve. This is the beginning of the Greenway. However, I would consider making a right on the north side of Northern Ave and look for the steps down to the Harborwalk boardwalk along the harbor (http://www.bostonharborwalk.com). Follow this until you reach the Aquarium and then make a left and go across to Quincy Market.

Thanks for the great directions. We would consider the walk from South Station if we have good weather. What streets would we walk on? I'm not sure what the Greenway is.

Thanks again

138's directions are great. The Greenway is the long, skinny public park on top of the Big Dig that all of our friends and neighbors in this great country of ours paid for over the past 20 years or so (and we'll be paying for for the next 20 years or so). It has food trucks, water features, interesting plantings, a carousel, and all sorts of other interesting views. It basically runs from South Station to North Station (check a map) with the Waterfront, Aquarium and North End to the east, and the Financial District, Faneuil Hall, Haymarket and North Station area to the west.

Archived