Cruising in 8 months

beachbride91011

We're going on our second cruise in 8 months and I really want to lose 50 lbs. Almost 2 years ago I had to have a hysterectomy. It seems like since then all I have done is gain weight. My eating habits haven't changed much, if anything I'm eating better then then. I'm probably as active if not more active since then. I'm 45 and I think if I don't get rid of it now, I'm never going to.

OH. I know just how you FEEL. I started my journey 2 years ago...determined to make a change before I turned 40 (this year) and before the cruise that my family went on to celebrate my big milestone birthday. I thought to myself...if I can't make the change now...when will I?

If you are active already...what is your plan?

I just moved to GA from TX and I believe that you and I are very close. I had never been to GA before I moved here in July. I'm just now finding my way around and am struggling somewhat to re-establish my routine. I love Zumba...and I was teaching Zumba classes...I'm feeling my way through the way that Zumba is here and trying to figure out what I am going to do regarding teaching. I've tried a few classes but I haven't loved any of them.

I HAVE really enjoyed hiking in the Kennesaw Battleground Park. It's so convenient and it is really a beautiful place so close in.

Anyway...I don't want to talk about anything too personal on this public forum...I'm a very motivated person with regards to being healthy and fit. I'd love to talk to you more. My email is CCAnitaLatte@gmail.com.

We are going on our first cruise in 8 months also. I started losing weight in May to make sure I had enough time. I've lost 36 so far and I want to lose 50 more. I am dying to buy clothes for our cruise but I have no idea what size I will end up. I'm hoping to get to my goal a few months before we sail so I have time to shop and pack. :)

Good luck with your journey!

UH...the RAIN. I had to go grocery shopping in the rain on Sunday evening...so annoying. Good job on figuring out something to do despite the weather. Not letting things like the weather influence your decisions demonstrates a "no excuses" attitude...and that's what you need to have in order to reach your goal!

Do you work? Have you ever tried Zumba? There a great class that is really inexpensive on Tuesday mornings. Drop in rate is only $3. The atmosphere is nice and very welcoming...I will admit that some of the songs the instructor uses aren't my fav...but it's a good workout.

UH...the RAIN. I had to go grocery shopping in the rain on Sunday evening...so annoying. Good job on figuring out something to do despite the weather. Not letting things like the weather influence your decisions demonstrates a "no excuses" attitude...and that's what you need to have in order to reach your goal!

Do you work? Have you ever tried Zumba? There a great class that is really inexpensive on Tuesday mornings. Drop in rate is only $3. The atmosphere is nice and very welcoming...I will admit that some of the songs the instructor uses aren't my fav...but it's a good workout.

Yes, I work Monday through Friday at the brewery in cartersville 7 to 4. I have never tried Zumba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello! We are also cruising in 9 months and I have about 25-30 lbs to lose. What is your plan? I know I can lose the weight, just struggle with the motivation. I will be 47 in a few weeks. Second cruise coming up in June to Western Caribbean.

Good luck on your journey!

Wendy

PS - I'm a Jersey Girl that went to college in Atlanta

Hello! We are also cruising in 9 months and I have about 25-30 lbs to lose. What is your plan? I know I can lose the weight, just struggle with the motivation. I will be 47 in a few weeks. Second cruise coming up in June to Western Caribbean.

Wendy

Dh is a Jersey boy, graduated high school in Hacketstown.

Wendy

I am a 32-year-old male, so take what I say with as much salt (hopefully not much) as you will.

As an athlete, I understand the motivation thing. It's hard to get motivated and stay motivated when your goal is to "lose 25-30 lbs." That's a good byproduct of an attainable goal, but I truly believe a weight-loss goal is not the way to stay motivated. I think, rather, a goal like, "I want to be able to run a 5K in under 30 minutes" is a better way to go. It forces you (one) to be committed to regular exercise and a diet that puts food in its proper place -- as fuel for your body.

To be clear, you don't have to choose running; there are lots of other athletic pursuits that lend themselves to goals and that you may like much better. The key is to find something moderate-to-strenuous that you like to do, and then commit to doing it regularly. That last part is the hard part -- it's miserable to do something regularly that you don't feel good at to begin with. But it's crucial to keep at it, and that means it's crucial that you like to do it. In my experience, trying to continue doing something just because you want to lose weight will not motivate you to keep at it.

There was a Reebok commercial from back in the early '90's that said something like, "there's an athlete in all of us." I think that's true; we all just have to find it. Working out for the sake of working out is a short-term solution; becoming involved in and learning to love some athletic pursuit is a long-term solution.

I am a 32-year-old male, so take what I say with as much salt (hopefully not much) as you will.

As an athlete, I understand the motivation thing. It's hard to get motivated and stay motivated when your goal is to "lose 25-30 lbs." That's a good byproduct of an attainable goal, but I truly believe a weight-loss goal is not the way to stay motivated. I think, rather, a goal like, "I want to be able to run a 5K in under 30 minutes" is a better way to go. It forces you (one) to be committed to regular exercise and a diet that puts food in its proper place -- as fuel for your body.

To be clear, you don't have to choose running; there are lots of other athletic pursuits that lend themselves to goals and that you may like much better. The key is to find something moderate-to-strenuous that you like to do, and then commit to doing it regularly. That last part is the hard part -- it's miserable to do something regularly that you don't feel good at to begin with.

Thank you for changing my mind set. That really makes sense!

Just downloaded couch to 5k and I'm very excited about it!

Great! Keep us posted on how your training is going! Have you looked at any 5K races to do around the time of your cruise? I would be conflicted as to whether to train up for an event right before or right after a cruise ... a cruise week could be a good "taper" (low-volume training week to make sure you are rested and primed for your event), but I might lean toward going on a cruise just after my event, so that I didn't feel the pressure to train on the ship. But who knows -- you might learn to love training so much that you will want to work out on the ship! I know I feel a lot better about my cruise when I work out on board, if for no other reason than to offset some of the calories I take in!

C25K is a great program! We started that program in our family but career changes and moving interrupted our training...and the moving enabled us to find other things that we enjoyed more than running. But still...we enjoyed the program when we were doing it. The weather here has been really conducive to training outside! The coolness would be great for training...there's rain on the horizon though...do you have a place where you can train indoors? I know of a place in the area that has an indoor running track...

Archived