Driving Honolulu off Season

Mailgirl

Since the Month of April is off season in Hawaii, will the traffic be less in Honolulu. Would it be better to rent a car instead of riding the bus. The Carnival Miracle does not get into Honolulu until 9:00 AM on 04/21 and most of the private guided tours that I have seen start at 6:30 AM. I have done ship excursions before and have not been happy with the price or quality. I feel you can do more on your own (only my opinion).

No, I don't think the traffic in Honolulu and Waikiki will be any lighter in April. The traffic is terrible. I don't drive on Oahu at all. Maybe you can find a tour that isn't so long and starts later in the morning. If you are only there one day, you don't want to cram too much in.

We've visited in April a few times and were just in Hawaii this past April and early May. Although it's slightly off peak season, there really isn't a low season in Hawaii. Oahu was an add-on this time because we couldn't get same day flights using air miles back to the mainland from Maui (and no non-stops with that airline). Anyway, many places we checked were well booked 2 months before our departure date. The large resorts all had availability, but there was limited availability with the smaller/less expensive hotels and resorts, B&Bs, and home rentals. It wasn't as crowded as some times, but the traffic in Honolulu was just as much a buggah as any other time of year.

For a one day stop, you're much better off renting a car, IMO. The Bus is great, especially if you're going to stay in the Honolulu/Waikiki area. But if you want to explore at all and get around the island, you'll spend too much of your limited time on the bus, you're bound by their schedules and stops, and you won't have the same kind of flexibility. However, if you're planning on staying in the cities, even if you're going to Pearl Harbor, you could easily use the bus to save yourself time and frustration with renting a car and dealing with traffic.

beachchick

There will be no less traffic. This is a city, that people live and work in. Not populated with just tourists sitting on the beach. Businesses operate on schedule year round.

If you can't handle driving in traffic, then use public transportation and allow plenty of time.

There will be no less traffic. This is a city, that people live and work in. Not populated with just tourists sitting on the beach. Businesses operate on schedule year round.

If you can't handle driving in traffic, then use public transportation and allow plenty of time.

I can handle traffic. I live in Florida and have to take I-4 everyday to work which is no picnic. The forums that I read just made it seem like the traffic that I am use to is a lot worse in Honolulu.

Easter in 2013 is April 6, so depending on when in April you visit there may be some extra spring break crowds. We visit Oahu in April a lot. Yes, there is traffic but it is manageable. The traffic is like any big city and is around commute times for the locals. We live in Southern California, so it isn't any worse than what we deal with daily. My only really caution to you is the large number of one way streets in Honolulu and Waikiki. Be sure you have looked at a map before you jump in the car and a GPS can be a big help.

I can handle traffic. I live in Florida and have to take I-4 everyday to work which is no picnic. The forums that I read just made it seem like the traffic that I am use to is a lot worse in Honolulu.

It is worse than I 4. Plus all the local traffic is bogged down.

Is it any worse than Washington DC or LA.

No. I live in the LA area and the traffic on Oahu is just an annoyance, nothing more. Just try and avoid driving during the major commuting times. You will be fine. However, like I said above it is the one way streets in the heart on Honolulu and Waikiki that can be a pain, also the parking can be a challenge, so have a plan before you get behind the wheel.

I have a friend who is Greek Orthodox and they celebrate Easter sometimes on a different date then the Protestant and Catholic churches but Easter for Protestants and Catholics is March 31

Traffic in Honolulu is definitely not worse then the DC area or even the LA area

No. I live in the LA area and the traffic on Oahu is just an annoyance, nothing more. Just try and avoid driving during the major commuting times. You will be fine. However, like I said above it is the one way streets in the heart on Honolulu and Waikiki that can be a pain, also the parking can be a challenge, so have a plan before you get behind the wheel.

Thank you for your input, I am feeling better about renting a car.

I went ahead and added the GPS. In Florida our rush hour starts at about 5:45 am - 9:00 am and 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm. Would you say the commuting times are the same as in Oahu.

Thank you for your input, I am feeling better about renting a car.

I went ahead and added the GPS. In Florida our rush hour starts at about 5:45 am - 9:00 am and 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm. Would you say the commuting times are the same as in Oahu.

Yes those times are a good "ballpark". However, that is not to say you won't find traffic around the island at different times.

Sorry about the incorrect date for Easter. I have a cruise on April 6th..so that date was on my mind!!

Just another note about Hawaii, keep a small rain jacket handy. You can run into rain anytime , also with the tradewinds blowing it can be windy. Not sure if you have been to Hawaii before but I thought I would pass that info along.

Just another note about Hawaii, keep a small rain jacket handy. You can run into rain anytime , also with the tradewinds blowing it can be windy. Not sure if you have been to Hawaii before but I thought I would pass that info along.

Had a giggle about that one :) Last visit, we had a converible for the trip to Hana..up...down...up...down...gave up..just got wet! Learned not to wear white...rained everyday! Loved the visit anyway :)

Yes those times are a good "ballpark". However, that is not to say you won't find traffic around the island at different times.

Sorry about the incorrect date for Easter. I have a cruise on April 6th..so that date was on my mind!!

This will be my first trip to Hawaii. Thank you for all of your help and the tip about the rain jacket.

Archived