Why not Queen Elizabeth 3?

CretaMed88

There would never have been a Queen Wallis.

One of the conditions the Church & Government imposed on Edward was that he marry Wallis Simpson morganatically - i.e. she could be his wife, but not become queen - he refused, so had to abdicate.

A narrow escape for Britain, and possibly the world. If Edward VII had weighed in with those 'sensible chaps' like Halifax and over-ruled Churchill, Britain might have made 'peace' with Hitler.

I believe her proposed title was to have been Duchess of Cornwall!!!! :eek:

After he became King???

On marriage - I can well believe they would have blocked Princess of Wales - and the same argument is being advanced that "Camilla will never be queen" - but since "Queen Camilla" is the default - and it requires agreement of all the countries where Charles is head of state to change that, I suspect we'll see Queen Camilla yet - it's going to look awfully unseemly haggling over the title of a frail 80 year old...

On marriage - I can well believe they would have blocked Princess of Wales - and the same argument is being advanced that "Camilla will never be queen" - but since "Queen Camilla" is the default - and it requires agreement of all the countries where Charles is head of state to change that, I suspect we'll see Queen Camilla yet - it's going to look awfully unseemly haggling over the title of a frail 80 year old...

I don't believe it is quite as simple as being a 'default' title. Given the legal and religious questions over the marriage then I suspect any attempt to have her crowned as queen would lead to a lot of very unseemly arguments in spite of her age which the royal family might prefer to avoid.

I don't believe it is quite as simple as being a 'default' title. Given the legal and religious questions over the marriage then I suspect any attempt to have her crowned as queen would lead to a lot of very unseemly arguments in spite of her age which the royal family might prefer to avoid.

According to the BBC

"According to 1,000 years of history and precedent the wife of a king becomes a queen, as a Queen Consort, which has no constitutional power."

Then again, there are those who say she won't because Charles and Camilla are not legally married.

According to the BBC

"According to 1,000 years of history and precedent the wife of a king becomes a queen, as a Queen Consort, which has no constitutional power."

Then again, there are those who say she won't because Charles and Camilla are not legally married.

Exactly. Will Charles want to make this constitutional squabble about the legality of his 'marriage' a divisive public debate when the title 'princess consort' has already been announced and accepted? By the time of his succession the Human Rights Act may also have been repealed so removing the last Government's fig leaf of legality for the marriage.

I for one hope Mummy lives long enough for the next Queen Consort to be called Queen Catherine - now there's a good name for a Cunarder (tactfully bringing the subject back on track!!!) :D

Archived