Why not Queen Elizabeth 3?

CretaMed88

Hi Pepper, yes apparently there was a fuss but I don't think it got much further than the Scottish border!!! I don't recall reading anything about it at the time - my only source of information about this was Guernseyguy - whatever happened to him????

Ken

hi ken....hows the est little B & B in brighton?

hi ken....hows the est little B & B in brighton?

Hi Roscoe - thought you were going to give CC a wide berth??? Brighton Pavilions is fine thank you - not been a brilliant season with the recession, weather and Olympics etc, but we're surviving. The place is on the market now as we are hoping to retire to Spain in the next year or two :D

Is it really a year this weekend since we were on QV sailing from Rome to the Holyland ?? :eek:

Cheers

Ken

Hey Peter - Nice to see you're still there!!! :D

Cheers

Ken

Thank you Ken - last cruise was a crossing on Seabourn - lovely product, but not quite my cup of tea - very 'American Country Club at Sea' - and the food, though very well prepared was a bit like eating at a Wedding Breakfast for 11 days in a row.

The included drinks were fine - even if their 'fine wines' were exactly the sort you buy to drink yourself at home (i.e. perfectly drinkable) but would not be caught dead taking to a dinner party.....

When's your next voyage? There are some great deals on QM2 TAs out there!

Thank you Ken - last cruise was a crossing on Seabourn - lovely product, but not quite my cup of tea - very 'American Country Club at Sea' - and the food, though very well prepared was a bit like eating at a Wedding Breakfast for 11 days in a row.

The included drinks were fine - even if their 'fine wines' were exactly the sort you buy to drink yourself at home (i.e. perfectly drinkable) but would not be caught dead taking to a dinner party.....

When's your next voyage? There are some great deals on QM2 TAs out there!

Hi Peter

the all inclusive, all suite, all luxury cruiselines don't really appeal to me much either.

we lost our 'deputy manager' at the beginning of the year and the only replacements available in the hotel trade are Spaniards here to escape their mass unemployment and 'learn' English. They are great workers but their English is not good enough for us to get away and leave them in charge!!! Hence we have cancelled one booked cruise (repositioning transatlantic on Navigator of the Seas to New Orleans) in November and have to forego all the great offers that fly through the emails every day! I noticed a particularly juicy 14 night return TA on QM2 for about £700 - that was hard to delete!

We are closing for a few weeks in January and taking the Soton - Buenos Aires segment of the Arcadia world cruise. Was a little disappointed in our experience of her 6 years ago but willing to have another go because of the itinerary. My abiding memory is having carrots every night (albeit by silver service :rolleyes:) and seeing probably the worst production shows ever to go to sea :eek:!!!

Cheers

Ken

Nothing to do with Cunard but the UKs largest warship is being built and will enter sevice in 8 years time, Aircraft carrier Queen Elizabeth...650000 tons dripping wet. Must be a bit more complicated than a cruise ship.

Just a little :eek: . However, they won't have to worry about the lack of tipping, or not getting upgraded etc... although they are pretty strict regarding the dress code on board...

(I don't think she's 650000 tons...).

I intend to be in Portsmouth for her maiden arrival.

All best wishes,

As of BBC today the new aircraft carrier Queen Elizabeth will be 65000 tons, excuse my podgy fingers. Next aircraft carrier to be built will be H.M.S. Prince of Wales..... Camilla and naked Harry to be commisioned in good time.

My understanding is also that QE2 was a sign of respect to Her Majesty. But I'd say the above was the primary reason.

I heard that the Queen flubbed the 1967 christening:

QE2 was supposed to be just "Queen Elizabeth", and she called it "Queen Elizabeth the Second" - so the shipyard hastily welded 2's onto the hull. (One does not contradict Her Majesty)

ITA A CRUISE SHIP..PEROID..The simply fact is they have a real liner in OM2 and its sailing at a whooping 18 knots across the Atlantic.

What exactly is "whooping" about 18 knots? Queen Victoria, even with her much publicised "propulsion problems" has just transported me around the North Atlantic, Mediterranean and the Black Sea and managed to average around 20 knots or so most days. She also handled some rough stuff in The Bay on the way back without the slightest problem other than a slow, gentle roll - and we were in the furthest forward cabin in the entire ship. Fantastic.

J

Nope. The ships are QUEEN ELIZABETH, QUEEN ELIZABETH 2 and QUEEN ELIZABETH (II).

The current vessel can't be (III) as the intermediate QUEEN ELIZABETH was '2'!

The most comprehensive account of the name of QE2 is in Carol Thatcher's 'QE2 Forty Years Famous' - Cunard's intent has been 'QUEEN ELIZABETH' (no Cunarder had ever been named after a reigning monarch, and to ask for permission was seen as presumptuous) but HM QEII ad-libbed on the day (well, if your Mum & your Gran had ships named after them, and were only Queens Consort, not Queen Regnant, why the heck not?).

Cunard, at the time, aware of the difficulties in Scotland (the Chairman of the (then fringe, now governing) Scottish National Party declared the name 'could not be a bigger insult to the people of Scotland) fudged it by using the Arabic 2 rather than Roman II, the latter used to describe monarchs.

Many years later, when QE2 was by orders of magnitude the most famous liner in service, it made sense to call QUEEN MARY, QM2, arguing that it was 'named after the ship, like QE2, ignoring HM QEII's contribution.

When QUEEN ELIZABETH (II) came along, Cunard decided to revert to 'tradition' and drop the suffix.

I was lucky enough to be invited to the Captains Bates party in his cabin on QE2 and I am fairly certain there was a framed letter mounted on the wall in the room. The letter was from Buckingham Palace and stated that the ship was named after the Queen.

You could also take a look at Commodore Warwick's book about the QE2. He states that the ship was named after the monarch. This fact was also endorsed by Sir Basil Smallpiece in his book, "Of Comets & Queens".

You could also take a look at Commodore Warwick's book about the QE2. He states that the ship was named after the monarch. This fact was also endorsed by Sir Basil Smallpiece in his book, "Of Comets & Queens".

There is little doubt about what happened on the day - just much obfuscation and then confusion from Cunard afterwards.

A better comparison would be CP (Canadian Pacific) steamship line which did name its ships after actual Princesses. There already has been a Princess Beatrice. Apparently Princess lines took on the moniker after chartering the Princess Patricia to start the business.

There is little doubt about what happened on the day - just much obfuscation and then confusion from Cunard afterwards.

Plus ça change...

:D:D:D

Incidentally, welcome back Peter. Great to see you posting on here again.

J

• 2 weeks later...

It just occurred to me that Cunard named the Queen Mary in 1936 and was already planning a sister ship at that time. What were they planning to call her?

The Abdication crisis was later that year. If Edward VIII had got his way and married Wallis Simpson then the QEI would surely have been the Queen Wallis? The QE2 would have been the QW2 and the present ship would be the Queen Wallis.

It would make all the American passengers feel right at home.

If Edward VIII had got his way and married Wallis Simpson then the QEI would surely have been the Queen Wallis?

There would never have been a Queen Wallis.

One of the conditions the Church & Government imposed on Edward was that he marry Wallis Simpson morganatically - i.e. she could be his wife, but not become queen - he refused, so had to abdicate.

A narrow escape for Britain, and possibly the world. If Edward VII had weighed in with those 'sensible chaps' like Halifax and over-ruled Churchill, Britain might have made 'peace' with Hitler.

Hi, :)

Queen Elizabeth is indeed the third Cunard vessel to be named Queen Elizabeth, but not Queen Elizabeth 3. As Austcruiser84 says, this is because it is not a Cunard tradition to add numbers after the name of the ship. There have been many names repeated since 1840;

Albania 1911 & 1921.

Andania 1913 & 1922.

Ascania 1911 & 1925.

Aurania 1883, 1917 & 1924.

Ausonia 1911 & 1922.

Cameronia 1915 & 1921.

Carinthia 1925 & 1956.

I just found this article about the Carinthia placed on the CC website today:

Divers explore Carinthia wreck off Irish coast

Archived