Prestige Drink Package and Unlimited Internet Package

rubysue

We're near the tail end of our 15-day Continental Connoiseur cruise on Marina. We enjoy our beverages so we opted for the $50 a day prestige package when we boarded. We didn't really care about getting any bottles of wine, so this worked really well. We played a game every day by giving the day a silly name and keeping track of our drinks; a couple of days with long times in port did result in a deficit for those days, but overall I would say we broke even or did a little better, plus we never had to sign anything.

Also, we were pleasantly surprised to find they had an unlimited Internet access package for $25 a day per person. DH is self-employed and needs to stay in touch and I write for a personal travel blog for friends and family and we also upload photos, plus I enjoy keeping up with what's going on. We jumped on this package that eliminates the need to keep track of minutes and buy more time. Although we occasionally had slow service or couldn't get on, the internet service overall seemed vastly improved from our cruise last September. They do block streaming video now (no surfing YouTube kitty videos), so this improves the speed. For those who think this should be "free", the current MTN infrastructure does not support free internet service. A new generation of INMARSAT spacecraft being developed may substantially lower the cost and increase the data rates.

Our preliminary shipboard account was a mere page and a half and seemed very reasonable for 15 days.

Also, we were pleasantly surprised to find they had an unlimited Internet access package for $25 a day per person. DH is self-employed and needs to stay in touch and I write for a personal travel blog for friends and family and we also upload photos, plus I enjoy keeping up with what's going on. We jumped on this package that eliminates the need to keep track of minutes and buy more time. Although we occasionally had slow service or couldn't get on, the internet service overall seemed vastly improved from our cruise last September. They do block streaming video now (no surfing YouTube kitty videos), so this improves the speed. For those who think this should be "free", the current MTN infrastructure does not support free internet service. A new generation of INMARSAT spacecraft being developed may substantially lower the cost and increase the data rates.

Our preliminary shipboard account was a mere page and a half and seemed very reasonable for 15 days.

I am trying to recall our first cruise...I rhink we went for 1000 minutes for maybe $500 and then we bought more, as I, too, need to stay in contact with the office. I guess it's a good news.bad news thing. The good news is we have a business that requires us to stay in touch. The bad news is we have a business that requires us to stay in touch.

The better news is we have a business that allows us to cruise.

Thanks for posting this info

Perhaps a dumb question but you mentioned unlimited Internet for $25 per person...does this mean if I bring my iPad and DH brings his tablet, we would have to pay $50 per day for unlimited Internet access? Is it kind of a one package per device sort of thing?

Perhaps a dumb question but you mentioned unlimited Internet for $25 per person...does this mean if I bring my iPad and DH brings his tablet, we would have to pay $50 per day for unlimited Internet access? Is it kind of a one package per device sort of thing?

If you use the same log in it should be one charge just do not use the internet at the same time ;)

Also, I believe, although I'm not 100% positive, that the $25 unlimited internet package is only available for Concierge (Category A) and Penthouses and above suites. If so, finally a Concierge perk that is actually worth the extra fare!

That is not correct. Anyone in any cabin can get the unlimited internet package for $25 per day. I received it, and I was in one of the lower cabins.

I just loved the internet package!! It was $21.99 per day last month (I think) on Regatta and we used more minutes than I care to share here... I too did a travel blog and a health blog plus other bits and pieces. Fantastic service compared to the pay per minute!!

Also, I believe, although I'm not 100% positive, that the $25 unlimited internet package is only available for Concierge (Category A) and Penthouses and above suites. If so, finally a Concierge perk that is actually worth the extra fare!

I think that the Concierge and above benefit is a discount on any of the Internet usage plans. It seems to be 10% off on our February Riviera booking. We haven't looked on our Baltic booking. Not sure if the discount varies by ship or voyage, but O seems to be retaining the flexibility to reprice usage plans and discounts on a whim.

We were in a PH2 and it was $25 a day, with no discount (per person). However, we like the certainty of the cost of the unlimited plan very much, just like the drink package. Also, if you accidentally left your computer or iPad or whatever device on, you are not chewing through minutes.

I also did not see that it was restricted to higher level cabins. We hope not, because we are in a B1 veranda on Nautica next July (after two cruises on Marina in a PH2 with a butler, but this way we can afford more trips). I'll miss that gold card. ;)

We were in a PH2 and it was $25 a day, with no discount (per person). However, we like the certainty of the cost of the unlimited plan very much, just like the drink package. Also, if you accidentally left your computer or iPad or whatever device on, you are not chewing through minutes.

I also did not see that it was restricted to higher level cabins. We hope not, because we are in a B1 veranda on Nautica next July (after two cruises on Marina in a PH2 with a butler, but this way we can afford more trips). I'll miss that gold card. ;)

My response was autopilot, focused on our 2013 bookings. I'm not sure whether it was 10% or 20% discount they confirmed for our PH, but it was confirmed for us on our Riviera cruise in Feb. 2013. Here's a link to the suite amenities on the O website. http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/riviera/staterooms/default.aspx. It's not itself a huge addition, but it's another addition in several collective steps by which O is becoming more passenger friendly from an Internet perspective. FDR is listening!

YES I am

FDR

We're all so glad you are. My wife and I will be on Riviera and then later in the year the family will be on Marina. It's a while since we've been on O, with past choices having been tipped by Internet issues (I need good, reliable and affordable Internet connectivity for business purposes) several times in the past. Everything I've read and heard suggests that Oceania keeps getting better and better; with the Internet issues mostly resolved we can no longer stay away. I have no doubt that the two upcoming O cruises will make it hard to consider anything but O in the future:).

I hope we meet sometime. I remember the first time we got an O brochure around launch and said to ourselves who are they and should we take a chance? I have tremendous respect for how far you've evolved the product, and the business decisions you've made on product differentiation.

From one foodie to another - Great Job!!

Archived