Just off the Sensation. Cuts becoming more obvious

SmogMonster

True but Creepy!

LOL..especially if you put your night clothes away!! For folks who were not in the know..like my table of younguns when I was one...but then it got hilareous describing each night's fold of that and towel animal too!!!

If the things that have been cut aren't things you will miss, then your cruise can't be ruined...but that doesn't negate the fact that for some, these cuts have had an impact.

I can understand most of it...I do remember the way cruising was 20+ years ago and it was extravagant and if they kept that stuff and we had to pay for it, I would likely be cruising only once a year as opposed to 2 or 3 times per year. However, although I do not require a somelier and a crumb brush and I don't miss those, I DO miss the entertainment and live music because that is what is important to us when cruising. I can deal with the food that is of a lesser quality and the decrease in crew that caused a decrease in service but I refuse to pay for a cruise to hear wanna-be Idol passengers singing karaoke and doing Legends for my entertainment and to sit out at the pool with boxed music when there are other, better options for me that do NOT cost more.

I guess if you're home at your desk you wouldn't.

Responses like this are exactly why I refuse to post reviews anymore. The OP said they had a good cruise. Their review was not a bash...all they did was share their opinioon and this is the response they get.

This is a place to share opinions...if yours is different that is fine but don't make the reviewers you don't agree with out to be liars or whiners. It's childish.

I don't personally MISS the crumb catchers etc ...just listing things that were cut backs, not just the recent cut backs.

I forgot to mention that everyone got a ship pin on my first Carnival Cruise plus a lovely print of the ship suitable for framing, head waiter presented our ship print to us the last night *Imagination when it was a 7 nighter

I do agree that the tendency for people to dismiss any complaint with the "better than a day at work" stuff is super annoying.

I am also getting a bit tired of the "passengers" as entertainers. Karaoke can be fun to listen to but I am "over" Legends and skipped it. I remember when they had real shows nightly and the newlywed/not so newlywed was an afternoon show on a sea day. Now it somehow became a night's "show"???

I am getting pretty excited to try a larger NCL ship (Pearl)

I have loved the bands on the Sky and hope they have cover bands, reggae band still on Pearl?

I do look forward to trying the 2.0 stuff on Glory but will probably avoid the Hasbro "game show" stuff if possible.

I am also tired of the master mixologist. At the rate they are going, Carnival's next "new and improved" might be a "home cookin" demo with the "best" home cooks providing their state fair winning dishes?? Ouch

Just a point of clarification ... It is true that the Captain's Party does not include free drinks like it used to. However, there is a party (advertised in the daily schedule, not very prominently, I can't recall its name) on the last night that includes free drinks and appetizers, very similar to the old Captain's Party. At least, our last 2 Carnival cruises had this set-up. I actually liked it better because there were a lot fewer people. But, it's all personal preference.

Cruising in 103 days!

The "Captain's Gala Reception" was cutback into the "Fun Farewell Party". The "Fun Farewell Party", which was a cutback, has been recently cutback. ;)

(I feel like I'm writing the opening credits jokes for a Monty Python movie)

A moose once bit my sister.

Mind you, moose bites can be pretty nasti!

We apologise again for the fault in the cutbacks. Those

responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.

:D:D:D

I don't personally MISS the crumb catchers etc ...just listing things that were cut backs, not just the recent cut backs.

I forgot to mention that everyone got a ship pin on my first Carnival Cruise plus a lovely print of the ship suitable for framing, head waiter presented our ship print to us the last night *Imagination when it was a 7 nighter

I do agree that the tendency for people to dismiss any complaint with the "better than a day at work" stuff is super annoying.

I am also getting a bit tired of the "passengers" as entertainers. Karaoke can be fun to listen to but I am "over" Legends and skipped it. I remember when they had real shows nightly and the newlywed/not so newlywed was an afternoon show on a sea day. Now it somehow became a night's "show"???

I am getting pretty excited to try a larger NCL ship (Pearl)

I have loved the bands on the Sky and hope they have cover bands, reggae band still on Pearl?

I do look forward to trying the 2.0 stuff on Glory but will probably avoid the Hasbro "game show" stuff if possible.

I am also tired of the master mixologist. At the rate they are going, Carnival's next "new and improved" might be a "home cookin" demo with the "best" home cooks providing their state fair winning dishes?? Ouch

LOL..I make a mean 4H Blue ribbon Banana Walnut bread..maybe i can pre-order ingredients..sorry this just was too good Esty..I understand both sides too..s.

Now this is a "birlliant" idea! Why not have a passenger amateur chef night. It can be called legends of cooking. Contestants can prepare their favorite dish and we can all vote for the best one. I make a mean Macaroni and Cheese! How about a chili cook-off?

I do remember the way cruising was 20+ years ago and it was extravagant and if they kept that stuff and we had to pay for it, ...

... I do not require a somelier and a crumb brush and I don't miss those, I....

I think you hit the nail on the head.

Cruises used to be extravagant (although I'd suggest more like 30-40 years ago). What Carnival has done is determined that it can make a lot more money from people like me who don't want extravagance than they can from those who are willing to pay for it.

And there are plenty of people who want it, but don't want to pay for it. Personally, I don't want extravagance, even if it is free. I don't want a sommelier. I don't want the waiter brushing the crumbs off my tablecloth. I don't want a cabin steward to fold the corner of my blankets down. I don't want a meal assistant cutting my meat for me before I put it in my mouth.

I look at the list of things people identify as cut-backs and for most of them, I don't consider them as valuable. They all cost money. Everything costs more now than it did 30 years ago. You can't have it both ways. Either you pay for it in higher fares, or you keep the fares low and eliminate the costly extras.

Would I rather have a "midnight gala buffet" (which I would never attend) or would I rather save $5 pp on the cost of my cruise? Would I rather have free cappuccino and espresso for everyone (which I would not drink) or would I rather save another $4 pp on the cost of my cruise? Would I rather have there be a "Captain's" or "Farewell" or "we just repainted the railings" party with free drinks (which I would not attend), or would I rather save another $4 pp on the cost of my cruise?

I could go on and on and the $5 and $4 and $4 etc. adds up to hundreds, if not a thousand dollars on a family vacation.

Once they start cutting back on the outside air temperature, the sand on the beach in the Caymans, private cabins with private baths, deck chairs and healthy meals, then I might start voting differently with my wallet.

In the meantime, I have zero problem taking my plastic bucket up to the buffet to fill it with ice from the dispensers -- not much different than if I was staying in a hotel.

Now this is a "birlliant" idea! Why not have a passenger amateur chef night. It can be called legends of cooking. Contestants can prepare their favorite dish and we can all vote for the best one. I make a mean Macaroni and Cheese! How about a chili cook-off?

LOL....I also enjoyed your review,,,,:).

Cruising has changed since my first cruise in 1992 but I paid a lot more in those days. Somethings better and some not so good. Mostly I think cruising on lines like Carnival is a mass market cruise line so they cater to the masses. If I wanted something different for more money Ill cruise someone else which we have many times.

Archived