Just off the Sensation. Cuts becoming more obvious

SmogMonster

We had a great cruise. Wee Jimmy was the CD and he was awesome. We hope to get him again some time.

We had a little rain in Nassau and then again sailing back to PC.

We saw their two shows. Curves which I found boring. It is PG rated and right before it started, Wee Jimmy announced that some might be offended since their are some suggestive moves and dances and the girls would be wearing thongs. (which didnt bother me a bit!) I didnt like the show though.

The other one was "Far from Over". It was great. They did music from the past and their Micheal jackson "thriller" set was good.

For the first time, I found the food lacking. The ice tea is now instant ( i saw them make it) The flat iron steak, lobster and ribs were good. But mostly the food just seemed bland. Maybe they forgot to pack the seasoning? I found myself using salt and pepper which is rare for me.

Ship was clean and staff were great. Our steward was very attentive but only came in the room twice per day. Im not complaining but I think this must be a policy. On the first day he introduced himself to us and told us that we would have a steward from 6-noon and then again from 6m to 9p.

If we needed anything during the "off time" we would need to call guest services. This was different than from what i remember but I may be wrong.

Overall a great cruise. But i think the cuts to try to save money are becoming more evident.

"Cuts becoming more obvious"

I read your post twice and cannot really find the "cuts" you experienced?:confused: The seasonings and possibly the iced tea?

The room steward thing has been like that for years; service twice a day, and they do get a little time off, so if you need anything during those hours, you have to call.

Thanks for the quick review. Sensation was my first Carnival cruiseship, 12 years ago, and loved it! It seems that more and more people are noticing the cutbacks these days. I did see some already two years ago, on my last cruise. Im glad you didnt let it ruin your cruise though! I hope that they stop with the cutbacks though. Enough already Carnival!

"Cuts becoming more obvious"

I read your post twice and cannot really find the "cuts" you experienced?:confused: The seasonings and possibly the iced tea?

The room steward thing has been like that for years; service twice a day, and they do get a little time off, so if you need anything during those hours, you have to call.

ITA

I thought the tea has been instant for a while; at least it tastes like instant to me. I just bring Crystal light drink mix anyway so instant isn't an issue for me.

Yeah, I've been told by the steward before specifically what hours he'll be working. I've never heard of them being in the room more than twice a day...once to make up room in the a.m. and once at night for turndown. What else would they do?

We had a great cruise. Wee Jimmy was the CD and he was awesome. We hope to get him again some time.

We had a little rain in Nassau and then again sailing back to PC.

We saw their two shows. Curves which I found boring. It is PG rated and right before it started, Wee Jimmy announced that some might be offended since their are some suggestive moves and dances and the girls would be wearing thongs. (which didnt bother me a bit!) I didnt like the show though.

The other one was "Far from Over". It was great. They did music from the past and their Micheal jackson "thriller" set was good.

For the first time, I found the food lacking. The ice tea is now instant ( i saw them make it) The flat iron steak, lobster and ribs were good. But mostly the food just seemed bland. Maybe they forgot to pack the seasoning? I found myself using salt and pepper which is rare for me.

Ship was clean and staff were great. Our steward was very attentive but only came in the room twice per day. Im not complaining but I think this must be a policy. On the first day he introduced himself to us and told us that we would have a steward from 6-noon and then again from 6m to 9p.

If we needed anything during the "off time" we would need to call guest services. This was different than from what i remember but I may be wrong.

Overall a great cruise. But i think the cuts to try to save money are becoming more evident.

I think the "seasoning" of the food is a hit or miss....not so much a cut. Every now and then we will run across a ship where the kitchen seems to be a little bland....but thank goodness not very often.

The Cabin Steward schedules has been that way for awhile....but I think they are just making it more of a point to let folks know.

I never knew what kind of tea they used....so IF they have now gone to instant...perhaps that is a cut???

Lots of "cut" complaints has been with the 3 man system in the Main Dining Room which means more tables, service that seems rushed and sometimes cold food.

Glad you still had a good time.....

I'm going on the Sensation in December and if those are the only "cuts" that I encounter then I will be one happy camper :p

i am sure you will have a great cruise. We always do. It was not my intent to be critical. I have no issue with the cuts. In this economy everyone has to tighten their belt. I would rather see cuts than an increase in the rates!

I was just commenting that to me, the cuts are definitely there. Someone asked what else the steward would do after making the bed and then turning it down. I remember years ago on our very first cruise. We were amazed that the steward was everywhere. I even wondered if they had some tracking system that told them we had been in the room. Every time we would go in and sit on the bed or use the commode, they were right back in straightening up! Granted, this was in 1994. But things are not done that way now. (which I am ok with !)

Smog... I am still trying to figure out what the "cuts" were that you experienced?:confused:

Well, I would say (in my opinion) that going to instant tea which was always brewed in the past is a change. There were fewer selections available in the buffet, The quality of the food (which I know is personal preference) is definitley not what it was. For the first time in memory we actually sent food back that just wasnt very good.

They shut down the hamburger and hot dog buffet which is out by the pool on Saturday night. The only thing available other than the MDR was one side of the inside buffet which had southern fried chicken with sides. Or you could do pizza or sandwiches. May be I am wrong but I thought the hamburger/hotdog bar was always available or at least you had more than one entree on the buffet.

Just off the Glory - I noticed one cut. Carnival now charges for cappucino, espresso, and latte after dinner. I believe they used to be free.

I think a nine-hour workday for the cabin steward is about as much as can be expected, especially when it is a split shift. And I do recall being told what hours he/she would be on the floor - I don't see that as a cut.

Hope you had a great time on the Sensation!

I remember years ago on our very first cruise. We were amazed that the steward was everywhere. I even wondered if they had some tracking system that told them we had been in the room. Every time we would go in and sit on the bed or use the commode, they were right back in straightening up! Granted, this was in 1994. But things are not done that way now. (which I am ok with !)

Maybe there were fewer passengers cruising back then, because it cost more. (Similar numerical amount, but in 1994 dollars vs. 2012 dollars.) So, the stewards had more time to straighten the cabins. But is there really a need for it? Twice-daily service is more than most hotels have, where you do the turn-down yourself.

This reminds me of a joke I once read.

Two college students are sitting in a bar, venting to each other. One of them says: "My roommate is such a neat freak. Every time I get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, when I come back, my bed is already made and tucked in.

We were also on this cruise........we had a BLAST. This was a "guys" cruise for us....with my son, who is about to go back in the Marines, by brother-in-law and 3 of our friends. Let me tell you.....6 guys without the adult supervision of our better half's leads to a lot of craziness! From the time I boarded the ship about 10:45 a.m. on Thursday until I disembarked Sunday morning there were literally only 3 hours.....between 8:00 a.m. Fri and 11:00 a.m. Fri.....when I did not have a drink in my hand. Coincidentally....those were also the only 3 hours I slept at ALL :eek: From everything I can remember the staff and service were great on the ship. Bartenders.....waiters/waitresses.....they never let us go empty :D We did not make any of the shows but were in the karaoke, piano bar and disco a lot and the entertainment staff there was great...and very accommodating! We did have a few opportunities to interact with the security staff.....and again, they were also extremely understanding and really went above and beyond to make sure our own crazy antics did not ruin our great trip. We went to Senor Frogs in Nassau and that was also a wild and crazy time. Only had dinner in the main dining room Thurs night and it was fine. The little bit of rain on Sat did not slow down our fun at all.....the pool is actually great in the rain.....and they still bring you drinks :) Met a lot of really fun people on this cruise and just enjoyed the entire trip! Memories of this trip and the great time I had with my son will last a lifetime! Second time on Sensation and would go back again any day.

I would say that the seasoning problem is definitely an individual ship issue. I was on the Legend in April and found the food very bland and it needed salt and pepper and then in August I was on Fascination, started the first night automatically putting pepper on my soup only to find it would have been very good without it. All week on the Fascination the food was well seasoned and hot. That makes me think it depends on the kitchen staff and not cut backs.

Smog Monster: A few recent 'rumblings' have indicated that Carnival Sensation might be attempting to discontinue its Chef's Table offering on some sailings . . . particularly by not advertising it on embarkation day (interior Lido area by the glass elevators was the normal location for display table).

Did you see it advertised, or perhaps know if the CT was offered onboard Sensation during your sailing??

I would say that the seasoning problem is definitely an individual ship issue. I was on the Legend in April and found the food very bland and it needed salt and pepper and then in August I was on Fascination, started the first night automatically putting pepper on my soup only to find it would have been very good without it. All week on the Fascination the food was well seasoned and hot. That makes me think it depends on the kitchen staff and not cut backs.

Fascination has always delivered awesome food ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

... Someone asked what else the steward would do after making the bed and then turning it down. I remember years ago on our very first cruise. We were amazed that the steward was everywhere. I even wondered if they had some tracking system that told them we had been in the room. Every time we would go in and sit on the bed or use the commode, they were right back in straightening up! Granted, this was in 1994. But things are not done that way now. (which I am ok with !)

This whole "turn down" thing makes no sense to me. What do they do, move your pillow and blanket? Really? I'm paying for this?

And the last thing I want is someone following me around and "straightening up". Make my bed if you must, but just leave me alone. I'd consider that a "blessing", not a "cut".

I think the seasoning issue is subjective. I don't eat salt at all at home and I retain a lot of water from it so I'm happy when the kitchen doesn't ruin my food with salt and that I can actually taste the food instead of tasting salt.

I think 2x a day for a room steward is enough and I saw my steward working way beyond 9pm. My room steward was kind enough to service my room after 1pm on St. Maarten day when I was in the cabin sick in the morning which I did not expect.

I think the seasoning issue is subjective..

very true!!!!

I'm kind of a food purist. I don't use much to season when I cook...mostly pepper, wine and garlic :)...fresh garlic and lots of it.

I have friends from Louisianna and I am SURE they must think of my cooking as bland because I think that when I eat in NOLA, most all food tastes like the seasonings and not the food item itself.

However, I feel like the Op that the food on CCL is not up to the quality of what it used to be and for me it has nothing to do with the seasoning.

very true!!!!

I'm kind of a food purist. I don't use much to season when I cook...mostly pepper, wine and garlic :)...fresh garlic and lots of it.

I have friends from Louisianna and I am SURE they must think of my cooking as bland because I think that when I eat in NOLA, most all food tastes like the seasonings and not the food item itself.

However, I feel like the Op that the food on CCL is not up to the quality of what it used to be and for me it has nothing to do with the seasoning.

I had also found things going downhill on my cruise just before yours on the Spirit over Easter and was pretty upset over it...

IMHO..things like food and food service have gone downhill..and i was not in great mood and that made it worse..but things have declined with cost cutting and the times..I hope it can go back up to my 2009 Paradise cruise experience...sarah

Getting ice bucket filled during evening turn down service was a big problem for me on my last cruise. Bucket was filled in the am, but not in the evening. Evening is when I wanted it! I had to call housekeeping once, and after that they said order it by room service! I did this a couple of times and then I called housekeeping again and asked if this was a new procedure and no one could say yay or nay! Two minutes after my query, room steward appeared at stateroom with bucket of ice, but refused my tip. Bucket was filled on the remaining evenings of my cruise.

This was two years ago on Freedom, when I personally started to see cutbacks or at least inconsistencies in service. I had YTD for the first time and enjoyed it, always was seated same area with same great wait staff. But the service was slower than my previous cruises. This also first time I noticed three person wait team. It usually took two hours or more, from start to finish of evening meal. Waiters were very kind and friendly, just very slow. I didnt complain though, as I was in no hurry to get anywhere. sometimes though, I got up and left before coffee and dessert.

So maybe I dont quite see the cutbacks same as OP, but I did notice some that affect me. We are all different in our needs and wants, but there are definite changes happening, call them cutbacks or changes. Some changes are even good. I have not cruised in two years since then for various reasons, but still read the reviews and keep reading about more "cost cutting" changes.

Surely though ice bucket filled in the pm, cant be too much to ask?:)

Archived