Price of internet cafe? Star

family cruisers

Leaving this sunday on the star. Will be the first time using their internet cafe, I know it's expensive, have NCL coupons printed out. Can someone please tell me the plans and cost. Thanks so much!

Try that url. If you have a coupon book or are Latitudes, you will get some free minutes. FYI - ship internet is slow.

http://www2.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

Be aware, the speeds are about the same or a little slower than dial up (amazing how few know about dial up and how slow it is), time starts when you connect not when you start receiving data. Be very careful about how you disconnect and make sure the connection has broken down. You can burn through the minutes pretty darn fast. Better to receive all you mail, disconnect, reply off line and then reconnect to send.

FYI, I found 100 minutes to be enough when I needed to use work email, some personal email, and complete some online coursework during one particuarly busy cruise. We rationed those minutes fairly carefully, but it was enough.

Agree with others that say make sure you log off. It's not always easy to see the disconnection screen because it sometimes disappears and isn't easy to get back. I saved the "log off screen" web address to my favorites so I could use that to logout each time.

And don't expect overly-friendly help from the NCL internet cafe rep. Customer service experts, they are not. I've worked in customer service jobs, including receptionist and waitress, in my early working years. I know that dealing with customers that don't understand a basic concept is frustrating. But a majority of IT people at all of my jobs have always been so literal and arrogant that going extra mile for service and empathizing with customers isn't even a consideration. My good friend that's in IT would even agree with me that arrogant and sarcastic describes himself and most of his coworkers. I thought maybe IT on a cruiseline might be different. I was wrong. I've had lousy service for just asking questions about purchasing plans, not to mention I've seen some customers being treated in a disrespectful manner. For example, a frustrated woman about the logout issue was saying how she's been trying to get help because she doesn't think she's logging off (and therefore being charged minutes when not in use), but nobody was ever at the desk, even when she'd come in at the posted hours. The man just stated, "my hours are posted right here and that is the time you need to come in." She was saying she was coming in during those hours and nobody was there. I felt like I was in a Monty Python skit, "Yes, I was here." "No, no you weren't." "Yes I was."

my advice for what its worth dont bother its to slow and ur just burning money wait till ur in port and find free wi fi the crew will be able to tell u the best place to go as thats what they do

For sure and log off if you are doing anything you could do offline. I've seen plenty of people spend way too much time writing an email or word doc while still logged on burning up minutes.

Fortunately for us, we use the cruise to get away from phone/computer/email and the last time we had to use the internet was when we were buying some property and (of course) everything was coming to a head when we were on the ship.

Archived