Airport Recommendations, please?

Liz

I'm in the planning stages of my next cruise, sailing from Southampton and returning to Harwich. Which airport would be most convenient, Heathrow or Gatwick? I hope to have only one change of planes on each trip.

Thank you in advance!

Liz

I'm in the planning stages of my next cruise, sailing from Southampton and returning to Harwich. Which airport would be most convenient, Heathrow or Gatwick? I hope to have only one change of planes on each trip.

Thank you in advance!

Liz

If you have the option

TPA-<somewhere>-SOU for Southampton

and LCY-<somewhere>-TPA for Harwich

In terms of distance/speed/convenience to get to port.

Southampton: SOU, BOH, LHR, LGW, BHX, LCY

Harwich: NWI, STN, LCY, LTN, LHR, LGW

I think realistically you will only have the choice of LHR or LGW for an international flight. Either will do for Southampton. If you are going straight to Southampton from the airport, you can use the National Express coach from LHR for about £15 and can use the train from LGW for about the same price. Harwich is a bit trickier. It is 'easier' to get to LHR, but can still be a bit of a pig of a journey. It is definately one of the few times when the cruise line transfer can be the better (less hassle) option. Harwich to LHR would mean getting a train from Harwich (right beside the ship) to Liverpool Street in London (but you need to change at Manningtree...not a real problem as you only have to cross from one side of the platform to the other), then either tube to LHR (if you don't mind hauling luggage up and down stairs) or cab to Paddington Station and Heathrow Express or Connect trains to LHR. Train/cab/train would come out at about £50/person.

Simon

Hi Lz,

Southampton is about 66 miles from Heathrow and 90 miles from Gatwick.

It' a direct run from Heathrow by National Express coach, tho' there's also a train option. Also a direct run from Gatwick by train or Nat Express coach. Heathrow is about 20 mins closer, no cheaper by public transport but about £30 cheaper by private transfer.

As Simon's post, Harwich is awkward for either airport. The only realistic public transport is train (one change) to Liverpool Street station in central London, then cross central London by taxi to either Paddington station for Heathrow, or Victoria Station or London Bridge station for Gatwick.

All stations plus Heathrow are served by the tube (London's underground) but from Liverpool Street to Heathrow or whichever station you chose would involve a change, and with luggage its no fun.

Private transfer from Harwich is around 100 miles, goes round London's orbital road (the M25) & takes about two hours. Heathrow is very marginally closer/cheaper.

So again, Heathrow is the better option, but only a little.

Either airport from Harwich is one of the rare occasions I'd recommend ship's transfer coaches.

So Heathrow is marginally more convenient but I'd be inclined to choose which airport on other criteria, such as airfare or preferred airline.

JB :)

Archived