December sea conditions

kanikanu

We are thinking of taking a cruise from Southampton in the UK over the Christmas period in 2013.

We have cruised before but never at that time of the year and even though I know all about how well the ships are stabilised etc I would still like to know what sea conditions are likely to be on the way down to and back from the Canary Islands or alternatively to and from the Med. In other words are we likely to encounter rough or stormy seas?

We all know weather forecasting is not an exact science but if you can speak from experience that would help.

Many thanks in advance.

Well, the reviews coming in for Ventura through the Bay of Biscay last weekend shows just how difficult this is to predict....they were in a Force 10 from Gib to S'ton....:eek:- and that's just into Autumn! December can have flat calm weather, with a hint of frost, but there again.....:confused:

I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I'm one of those fools who likes to be outside, high up, through rough storms...whilst OH swallows a pill and has a quiet day.

I really don't think anyone can say-some will have had a good ride, others not so good. That's the sea for you!;)

Jo.

Thanks everyone for your input. I know the seas are very unpredictable at the best of times.

For example we have not encountered rough weather in the notorious Bay of Biscay in August and yet in the same month of the year we have endured a Force 9 in the English Channel meaning a crossing from Calais to Dover took 13 hours as we sat out the storm off the English coast! And believe you me P&O ferries are nowhere near as comfortable as their cruise ships in that situation!

I had hoped that folk with experience of the routes at the time of year I mentioned would have responded but thanks anyway to those that have.

I guess we are back to square one and will just have to make our decision on gut feeling! That probably means we won't go!!

Archived