luggage limit

WASUP

I've had luggage weighed on every trip I've taken in the past year. It seems that the over-sized suitcases may, as a rule, get weighed automatically.

We just weigh them at home before we leave. If over the weight limit, you could switch some items around. I've read that the limit is per bag, and cannot be combined (that is to say 100 pounds per 2 pieces).

Good Luck

A~:)

At check-in last week, I noticed passengers at the next agent shifting items from one bag to another and re-weighing. I'd definitely weigh bags before leaving home to be on the safe side. It also may help a baggage handler from experiencing an on-the-job injury, which is one reason those "heavy" bags are labeled as such (to give forewarning to everyone who must lift the bag in transit).

Weight is 50 pounds per suitcase. correct? American is the carrier, are they strict??

we have the four bags...nothing more, two each as stated

Thansk

American is very strict regarding the weight per bag. What I always do is keep a foldable tote bag in the front pocket so I can remove items from the bag and check or carry the tote. If it is less than 5lbs over remove the toiletry bags which for some reason are heavy :)

American is very strict regarding the weight per bag. What I always do is keep a foldable tote bag in the front pocket so I can remove items from the bag and check or carry the tote. If it is less than 5lbs over remove the toiletry bags which for some reason are heavy :)

What we do cuz I ALWAY"S overpack for vacations. I throw away all excess toilitries before going home, it leaves the extra weight now for souviners we bought, etc. lol

I guess it depends on the airline and the check-in agent. We were overweight on bag with Delta last November and the agent did us a favor by waiving the penalty. Two weeks ago on Southwest we one post-cruise bag weighed in at 53lbs and we just didn't have the time to rearrange, so we were hit with a $25 fee!

Best advice: be under 50lbs per bag for domestic flights!

It sounds like some airlines can get pretty picky about the weight of the luggage. But if you have a bag that is overdimension (not a lot, just a 29" suiter vs a 26" suiter) will they nail you with a charge for that if it weighs under 50 pounds?

Thanks, Jennifer

It sounds like some airlines can get pretty picky about the weight of the luggage. But if you have a bag that is overdimension (not a lot, just a 29" suiter vs a 26" suiter) will they nail you with a charge for that if it weighs under 50 pounds?

Thanks, Jennifer

Hey Jennifer :D

Yes, they will charge you for an oversized bag, even if it is under the weight limit. The max allowable is for weight AND size, so check the dimensions of your bags, not just the weight.

We fly out of CMH and only occasionally get weighed. Most often we check in and roll our bags to the scanner.

Coming back it seems like a combination of what airport and airline. DW is great at packing and our largest case weighs in at 45-48 lbs almost every time it is checked.

Only one time, returning from Charleston, the case came in at 52. I was watching the screen, but the agent said nothing and off we went.

Charlie

Side note on the luggage question.. Not all Airlines have the #50 limit. jetblue has a #70 limit on domestic flights (not SanJuan) and has a limit of 3 pieces. This is good and bad, because we generally fly Jetblue and now we take way too much luggage! I believe a few others also have this policy, maybe Spirit?

Rick

Archived