9th October

paulinewales

First time on Island Escape any information appreciated.. I know is is not going to compare with the bigger ships we have sailed on but decided to give it a try after reading some favourable reviews.

Wow! That's a big question. Can you be more specific about what you want to know?:)

Don't ask my Opinion #Biased#

Ok then :D it compares just the same as most of Thomson's ships are now an ageing fleet but the Ambiance and entertainment is probably the best on the good ship IE.

In my opinion the IE is easier to get about (only been on Thomson Spirit and Destiny) but from what I have read on the Thomson's board as well as the IE boards, Food is very good (selection wise) I'm sure others will have an input ;)

Also done a quick search of the forum and found Click me please

The food on the whole is pretty good. Cafeteria style in the Beachcomber which is open most of the day, except when restocking for lunch or dinner. Better here than on the Dream where the food was always cold in the cafeteria. The food in the Orion (I think) on the Dream was very good and on a par with the Oasis but without the supplement. The Island restaurant for dinner, buffet, good choice with themed nights. It can be a bit of a scrum later on and queues do form around 8.00pm. We tried to get down early and get a table for 2, around 6.30pm, that way we got the food nice and hot with too much jostling. The Oasis, well worth paying the supplement as it's waiter served so no getting up and down all the time. Food very good on the night we tried it and plenty of space to relax. It would have been so much better if my OH hadn't knocked a glass of red wine all over the tablecloth, curtains and floor. Doh!

The gym is on deck 10 near to the Beachcomber and is quite well equipped, although you are a bit on display to everyone going to eat or to the pool. Best to get up early, lol. Not enough sunbeds and what there are are crammed in together around the pool. There are beds up on the top decks but beware the howling gales while at sea, that's why there are beds free up there. OK in port though.

The entertainment is usually pretty good but you do have to bag a seat around 40 minutes before the show or you won't get a good view. The Dream is definitely better on that score but maybe not Celebration. If you can keep still at night find and seat in one of the bars keep it as they get pretty full. We never seem to find anywhere to sit at night but we usually had a cappuccino in the Cafe Brasil in the afternoon which was very nice and relaxing.

Cabins could be better but you're not in much and as it's a cheaper cruise you have to accept that. Don't book a cabin near the front as we did last year, they pitch and roll a bit and there is definitely more banging and clanging.

Hope that helps.:)

Jan

RR ....hope you and Mrs RR have a great time with not too much rockin' and rollin' !!:D also I hope those going with you enjoy it as much as we did earlier in the year....

You'll be back the day before we go on our 30 nighter so I won't be around till mid November!:)

Archived