Costa Cruises Introduces New Stateroom Category Plan

seanpboles

Just saw this posted on Facebook from Costa:

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (Sept. 25, 2012) -- Costa Cruises is introducing a new stateroom categorization plan beginning on December 2012 sailings that provides new benefits for both travel sellers and guests. Cabin categories will be reduced to four — Classic, Premium, Samsara and Suites — offering a price point and amenity level for every cruiser.

"By reducing our cabin categories down to four, we’re hoping to eliminate a lot of the frustration and confusion that can happen when there are too many options and levels of accommodation," said Scott Knutson, vice president of sales and marketing for Costa Cruises North America. "With the enhanced cabin categorization plan our guests can select to new added-value benefits, while our travel partners have higher available earning potential."

The Classic category includes standard-size cabins where guests enjoy all of the standard services of the ship. They offer the most affordable prices and are located on the lower decks of the ship.

Premium staterooms are on the upper decks and provide the best choice of cabin location, confirmed dining times, complimentary in-room breakfast, 24/7 room service and double Costa Club points, plus a 10 percent future cruise discount.

Samara cabins and suites are located inside or near the spa area and feature unlimited access to the spa, an exclusive restaurant, welcome ritual and a series of wellness treatments. This category also receives all benefits of a Premium cabin.

Suites provide first-class services for a luxury vacation. Suite guests receive all Premium benefits plus many other exclusive services and amenities. Guests in Suites also are entitled to priority boarding, a dedicated valet (excluding Mini Suites) and a bottle of sparkling wine.

Members of Costa Club, Costa's complimentary loyalty program for past guests, also qualify for tailor-made privileges including complimentary cabin amenities, on-board discounts, preferential boarding and disembarkation, luggage delivery and shore tour privileges, plus priority restaurant seating.

For more information about Costa Cruises, contact a travel professional, call 800-GO-COSTA or visit http://www.costacruises.com.

For 64 years Costa Cruises’ ships have sailed worldwide, offering the best in Italian style, hospitality and cuisine. The line’s ships visit 250 destinations throughout the Mediterranean, northern Europe, the Baltic, Caribbean, South America, United Arab Emirates, Far East and Indian Ocean. The line has 15 ships in service and one new 130,000-ton ship on order from Fincantieri for delivery in October 2014.

Just booked on Deliziosa for April in a "Classic" cabin. I was told that even as a Gold Pearl member I don't get a choice of dining. Not that it matters very much to me, and as a English-speaking single, I never know where I'm going to end up anyway.

It's still the cheapest vacation I can take in Europe, short of backpacking.

Edited by Dancer Bob

. . . but I wouldn't be surprised if something like this became the industry standard. If people live in gated communities, they want to duplicate that experience on cruises as well.

Of course we have never cruised Costa. But we'll spend the month of November on the Costa Victoria in SEAsia.

. . . but I wouldn't be surprised if something like this became the industry standard. If people live in gated communities, they want to duplicate that experience on cruises as well.

Of course we have never cruised Costa. But we'll spend the month of November on the Costa Victoria in SEAsia.

NCL is already doing this. certain areas of the ship are for the upper-end cabins only. cunard as well. of course, this is just a return to the class system that used to be standard.

i like the new classic/premium categorization. i want full room service, mainly. if i have to pay a bit more i'm willing to.

I wrote re this earlier - but the post disappeared.

I think they have done a great job on this. As it stands just now, on the bigger ship, there is no real system for determining allocation of dining (other than loyalty membership and suites).

We had an ordinary balcony on Magica (no choice of premium or classic) - our booking was made some time ago, and we requested our table requirements. Second cruise with Costa this year. This was our first time in while not being in a suite.

It took a huge amount of teeth pulling - and - needless to say - lining of palms - to finally get the table and dining requirements we had asked for.

I am sure, by categorising, those who have specific preferences - will be happy to pay a little (and it IS a little I compared prices) extra to have those perks.

As for free room service - the amount of waste incurred in "free for all" room service is horrendous. Again, there are now choices. Either pay for premium - or pay as you go on classic. Simple. Effective. And it avoids waste.

Those travelling in the lowest category - can - if they wish, still choose a budget accommodation, but travel with extra perks for a small price.

I think they have done a great job of categorising it. They have not imposed a class system - offering choices - on ALL levels of accommodation.

Airlines do it, hotels do it - such is life.

In my opinion - Good job Costa!

• 3 weeks later...

Great job Costa another step back into the dark ages.

And yet another kick in the teeth for all their loyal club members who will no longer get the choice of meal times let alone our so called Preferred boarding and tendering. Check your Club perks they are removing some.

The introduction of Gold Pearl was supposed to be a chance for a few extra perks but they have taken most of them away on our last cruise from Savona, they now just allow you to join all those who wait to board at the gate regardless of what number you get.

A designated channel for us was promised but their answer is only at some terminals, so Savona is not their flagship terminal?

Prefered tours boarding, don't make us laugh Costa, you give us the 'SPECIAL lounge' take us down and leave us behind all those waiting to go ashore.

Costa is now taking the English loyal club members for mugs.

Went to book another for early next year can't get our normal early sitting for the wife that has to eat at 6ish offered late only.

Now Booked with MSC with early sitting

Edited by tenpin

Another plus for our first MSC cruise we just receive back £30 we paid for a ships visit & a lovely welcome letter.

What a change from Costa who can't even answer emails or put up web links that do not work.

Whatever has happened to that wonderful Costa customer service of old, now it seems they care very little about their Gold Paerl members or any other rank.

As with the furore over the perks changes on board Carnival Cruise Line ships, the perks offered by Costa are not obligatory on their part...they can add or take away as they please.

Personally I have never cruised for the perks...they are a bonus, yes, but certainly not something that I cherish or demand to keep in order to stay with a company.

With all the squabbling over the perks, I wish the cruise lines would just get rid of all of them completely...it would certainly make for a quieter cruise.

Costa Smurette,

It is not the losing of any perk but the way they offer you these if you cruise with them more then remove them when it suits them.

I did three cruises with them in 2011 to get to the new Gold Pearl rank after their promises of wonderful extras and privledges. only to find they do not honour their loyal club members but only those who are willing to try their 'NEW' balcony cabins.

We are sailing in November, and they already have this system in place, but it causes problems.

The problem comes when you are travelling with a party of 4, and you have 1 classic and 1 premium cabin. The people with the premium cabin can put in a preferred dining time at electronic check-in, and the passengers with the classic cannot. This in itself is really not a problem, but the website goes into overdrive, all the data keep on falling out of the system, whether you opt to select a dining time or not. The combination of the 2 cabins is apparantly not compatible with checking in with 1 booking number. Costa sends us many threatening emails in french and italian (interesting to send that to british/dutch people who live in Germany) that we still haven't entered our data. Costa Belgium and Costa Italy cannot solve this problem.

I would therefor advise everybody not to book 2 different category cabins on Costa. We didn't either, but 1 was upgraded and that is when the frustration started....

Just saw this posted on Facebook from Costa:

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (Sept. 25, 2012) -- "

Members of Costa Club, Costa's complimentary loyalty program for past guests, also qualify for tailor-made privileges including complimentary cabin amenities, on-board discounts, preferential boarding and disembarkation, luggage delivery and shore tour privileges, plus priority restaurant seating.

quote]

Not quite true Yesterday tried to book a Norway cruise next June and as Gold Pearl Members asked for 1st sitting in dining room.

Sorry Sir, no longer available for guests not in premium cabins or Suites.

I am so annoyed that after 15 odd years cruising with Costa they can now do this to there MOST LOYAL CUSTOMERS.

My wife must eat between 6 and 7 pm so now we cannot even book because we don't know that once on board we will be able to change time if put on late.

• 11 months later...

Wonder what might happen as far as dining is concerned with the following scenario.

I booked a Guaranteed Classic Balcony Cabin without realising about the new categories, so I am now expecting to be assigned dining at check in. ( I do not seem to have a choice)

However, it so happens that I have been assigned a Premium Balcony cabin. Wonder if this will mean that I will now have a choice of sittings ????

Comments appreciated.

Locoman4244

Welcome to cruise critic. You reopened an ancient thread but no problem. To answer your question, you should specify your desired sitting at the time you book the cruise. When you receive your cruise documents you find that the assigned sitting is not what you want, wait until you board the ship. There will be a meeting scheduled with a maitre (announced in the TODAY bulletin you'll find on the bed) that evening for those who want to change sittings or table assignments. Hope this helps.

Hi Capricruiser

Thanks for the reply, but that is not how Costa operate now. I have received cruise documents and there is no mention of dining. As I said originally, if you book a classic cabin , you are not given the choice of 1st or 2nd dining. You can only choose if you book a Premium Cabin from the outset of your booking.

Whether I agree or disagree with that is immaterial because that is the way they are now doing it. It just made me wonder whether I would now be given a choice since I have been assigned a Premium Cabin.

Locoman 4244

If you have been allocated not only the location but also the perks of a premium cabin, you should be able to go into "My booking" on costa's website, and choose your dining options. If the ship you are sailing on has restaurant options, you can choose your restaurant, table size and early or late dining. Its in the "online check in" process.

Give that a try.

Edited by Blondie008

Wonder what might happen as far as dining is concerned with the following scenario.

I booked a Guaranteed Classic Balcony Cabin without realising about the new categories, so I am now expecting to be assigned dining at check in. ( I do not seem to have a choice)

However, it so happens that I have been assigned a Premium Balcony cabin. Wonder if this will mean that I will now have a choice of sittings ????

Comments appreciated.

Locoman4244

i agree with the previous 2 posters. your profile doesn't say where you are from, but if you are from the USA, you'll most likely be assigned early seating. costa is pretty good about knowing what time which nationalities like to dine. check your dining time (on key card) as soon as you board. if all else fails, do speak with the dining room manager.

Thanks to all who have posted messages on this subject.

I am not able to access any site which will let me choose a dining time.

I think this has all been caused by the fact that I live in the UK and booked through a US Travel Agency. I am not even able to supply passenger details in advance because of this. My booking reference is not recognized by either .co.uk or .com websites.

Looks like taking pot luck when I join the cruise.

Locoman4244

I think this has all been caused by the fact that I live in the UK and booked through a US Travel Agency. I am not even able to supply passenger details in advance because of this. My booking reference is not recognized by either .co.uk or .com websites.

Locoman4244

if you can't access your booking number, i would be VERY suspicious of the travel agent. you should have access almost immediatly after your deposit was processed. did the charge go through on your card as 'costa'?

As with the furore over the perks changes on board Carnival Cruise Line ships, the perks offered by Costa are not obligatory on their part...they can add or take away as they please.

Personally I have never cruised for the perks...they are a bonus, yes, but certainly not something that I cherish or demand to keep in order to stay with a company.

With all the squabbling over the perks, I wish the cruise lines would just get rid of all of them completely...it would certainly make for a quieter cruise.

100% agree with the perks nonsense. Guess it just makes some people feel important:cool:

if you can't access your booking number, i would be VERY suspicious of the travel agent. you should have access almost immediatly after your deposit was processed. did the charge go through on your card as 'costa'?

Ditto!!

Think I'd be worrying about a tad more than the dining time :eek:

Locoman4244

You seriously need to call Costa and check your booking. No matter where in the world you made your booking, your costa booking reference number should give you worldwide access to your booking. Okay, so how are you to receive tickets? Unless you are in a suite - which you are not as you say now you are in a premium cabin - you are issued an e-ticket - which is only accessible from "my costa" -

If I were in your shoes - I would be on the phone NOW to Costa... You booked from the Uk to a US agent for a COSTA cruise???? Doesnt make sense??? An EU agent I could understand - but why would you book through a US agent for a European line??

• 2 weeks later...

Vacations To Go do offer some cheaper prices for all Cruise lines, so imagine thats why this person used them to book. I got a price from them for my last cruise, it was about 8% cheaper (exchange rate fluctuation varies it daily!)....but i didnt go with them. Might have if the saving was 25% though!

A call to Costa UK number will get the booking number. Simples.