Does the Norwegian Wind 11-night Hawaii cruise now go to Lahaina twice?

Das K

I am booked on the 7/23/05 cruise on the Norwegian Wind, and just noticed on the Web site that they now have the ship itinerary arriving in Lahaina on day 3, leaving at 10:30pm that night, but returning to Lahaina at 7am the next morning? Several questions...

1. Is this true, does the ship pull out, that return to the same port 8 1/2 hours later? Or is this a mistake on the website?

2. If this is schedule is true, why leave the port? Wouldn't it make sense to stay there?

3. Why the change? When I booked the trip, it was supposed to spend the first day of Maui at Kahului, then go to Lahaina the next day. My guess is that the Pride of America is going to use Kahului for the two days, tying up the port. That itinerary shows their two day at Kahului to be an overnight, without leaving port.

Thanks for any info....

I am also on the 7/23 sailing and called my TA about this. She put in a 3-way call with NCL. Yes it is now two days in Lahaina. The posted leaving time of 10:30pm just means that no tenders will leave after that and the tenders will start again the next morning. The ship stays in the same place. Don't know why the change.

Becky

We have a snorkel trip planned for the second day at Lahaina, but we will now move that up to the first day, since we will have been driving most of the day before at the Volcano. Now, we might go to the Raod to Hana for the second Lahaina day. This schedule may work out better.

Have a great time. My wife is also a Becky, and will be on the trip.

I also see both the Wind and POAmerica depart HNL the same day, are in Hilo at the same time, and also in Maui the same time.....

I have never seen 2 cruise ships in Hilo at the same time.....and don't know where the second one would tie up.

Also could make some shore tours and car rentals hard to get in Hilo and Maui if this holds true.

Chuck

We just booked the Wind for Sept. 3rd and are looking forward to the 2 days in Lahaina on the new schedule.

There have been several times when I have seen 2 cruise ships here in Hilo. I guess they tie up on each side of the pier. It sure does make for a busy day in Hilo....and I would suggest that folks book rental cars and tours in advance, just to be safe.

We have a snorkel trip planned for the second day at Lahaina, but we will now move that up to the first day, since we will have been driving most of the day before at the Volcano. Now, we might go to the Raod to Hana for the second Lahaina day. This schedule may work out better.

We are on this cruise in June, also the changed itinerary. We are renting a car the first day because its a longer day & we won't have to worry about getting back to the ship in time. If you rent from Hertz you can pick up the car from the Hyatt Regency (a shorter trip than to the airport) and they have late drop off, which as far as I can tell, none of the airport rental agencies have (closing time about 4 pm).

Karen

1. Is this true, does the ship pull out, that return to the same port 8 1/2 hours later? Or is this a mistake on the website?

2. If this is schedule is true, why leave the port? Wouldn't it make sense to stay there?

My Wind cruise had an overnight in Lahaina. It's true, the ship does indeed set sail during the night. The explanation we received was that it was so the ship could make potable water. There was no further explanation given, so I don't know if the ship needed to be moving to process the water or if there was some regulation that they had to be farther from shore to do so.

We were actually late getting into port the second day. The captain explained that we hadn't made enough potable water yet, so we would be several hours late arriving in port.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it appears that the Wind is changing back to one day at Lahaina and one day Kahului. I surely don't know, but this does give a new spin to various reservations. Nancy

I have not seen anything changing the itinerary from the two days in Lahaina. The Norwegian web site still lists the itinerary as two days in Lahaina. Also, we got our cruise documents two days ago (5/28) for the July 23 cruise on the Wind, and they all have the two days in Lahaina....

If it is changed again, this will be havoc on planning the car rentals! We already cancelled one for Kahului and booked for two days in Lahaina.

Das K - I am on the same 6/11 sailing of the WIND as nlt46 & yes NCL had changed OUR ports several times now. At the first of the year it was Kuhului/Lahaini & this spring it changed to Lahania/Lahania, now as of last Fri we are back to Kuhului/Lahaini. As you would guess I too had rental cars sent up for Lahania on Day1 & 2. Kinda messes with car rentals :(

I just looked & yes your 7/23 sailing is set to be in Lahania both days, but that is something I would check from time to time.

You have to do the search as if you were planning & pricing the cruise & check the itinerary there, not from the main NCL Fleet sailing, as our sailing was listed a different way there. I do believe by checking on the actual sail date itinerary will give you a more accurate itinerary.

Hope this helps

Once I got the documents, I also went on-line to pre-register, and that got the obsession going all weekend! I picked our airline seats, rented another car, and drove my Becky crazy with my 'focus' (or lack thereof on yard work!)

I guess I will rent another car in Kuhului and have two cars rented for day 3. I will not cancel either one until July. A bird in the hand, you know...Thanks, FrozenOkie for the heads-up, and enjoy the cruise!

Joe

Thanks for all the heads up on the port changes!! We are also sailing on the Wind on 6/11! Glad someone is watching out for the changes and keeping us all posted!! Do we have special CC buttons to identify us to each other on the ship?? We are soo excited! Celebrating 20th anniversary and first trip to Hawaii!!!

Aloha,

Just returned from the WIND 5/21/05 sailing and they are back to the original stops on Maui one day at Kuhului and one day at Lahaina. This did create some confusion since the schedule had been changed to two days at Lahaina. We too had reserved a car for our first day at Lahaina.

But you know what it all worked out we did get our rental car in Lahaina and we rented one in Kuhului too.

I never did get a good explanation for the change of the schedule but we still had the BEST Cruise on the Wind!

We loved Lahaina and would have loved to have spent 2 full days and an evening there instead of Kuhului.

Our two favorite ports were Kona and Lahaina hope to go back some day and spend time at both places.

Have a great cruise wish we were going back! Say hello to Captain Lars, Lawrence Lee, Asst. Hotel Manager and Simone Weigel, Concierge.

You will love the crew on the Wind the service was fantastic and the food was Great!

have just finished reading your messages and need some help - we are booked on the Wind for July 2 and are to pick up our packets tomorrow. It seems they are awfullly late in getting this to our TA?? we would like to reserve a car in Hilo and also in Maui for the two day but I don't know which ports we would be close to - how did you manage these details - who did you rent through - thanks

eKing - I rented on Maui thru Alamo, Try a search on www.Expedia.com that way you can do a lil shopping for price. Just be careful of closing times. I found Alamo stayed open the lastest of them all. Most on Lahania close @ 4pm, Kuhulia is a 'Dock' where Lahania is a 'Tender' port/s From what I have read most all 'Rental Car Agencys' have hourly shuttles from the pier to their locations.

Hope this helps :)

We will pick up the car once we are tendered on the first day. I;m told the National shuttle will pick us up at the pier. We will use it all day (thinking about the road to Hana, but not sure I want to spend most of a Maui day driving). We are planning to park it overnight, then use it for a self booked snorkel trip (Four Winds II) for day two. The National Car rep in Lahaina said they do close at 4:30pm, but they do have a drop off for after hours. I will drop off the wife and daughter at the ship, returm the car, then catch a cab back to the ship (the shuttles do not run after hours).

We went with National to get a Sebring convertable (Hertz has Mustangs, but for twice the cost).

Actually, a great post for NCL ideas is one posted about 6 months ago by a poster named bankofdad about his Pride of Aloha trip. Run a search on that name on the NCL board and you will find it. GREAT ideas and references for ship and shore.

Well, it appears that the Wind is changing back to one day at Lahaina and one day Kahului. I surely don't know, but this does give a new spin to various reservations. Nancy

I just returned from the Wind... I had reservations in Lahaina for Day 1 in Maui, and had to get my car reservations changed. According to the Pursers desk, starting in July the Wind will have 2 days in Lahaina.

IMO, it's a good move... Lahaina is a much nicer port of call than Kuhulia.

have just finished reading your messages and need some help - we are booked on the Wind for July 2 and are to pick up our packets tomorrow. It seems they are awfullly late in getting this to our TA?? we would like to reserve a car in Hilo and also in Maui for the two day but I don't know which ports we would be close to - how did you manage these details - who did you rent through - thanks

We rented through Alamo - they were the cheapest by far.

In Kona however... it might be wise to rent through a company in town - the airport is ~20 minutes away and there is bad traffic in between.

Archived