C. Victory Sept. 16 '12 Review with pics

Karpkg

Wow, the cat trip sounded so awesome!! DH and I did a shipwreck snorkel in St. Thomas however I got squeamish when snorkeling over it, so I hoped out of the water. Something about it gives me the heebeejeebee's. *Shivers*

Here's the itinerary I got from them.

BIO BAY AND RAINFOREST

Duration : 10 hours

Approximate Pick Up Times: San Juan Area (11:00am), Rio Grande (12:00pm), Fajardo (11:30am)

Itinerary: Specific times for different sites and pick ups may vary. We will call you the day of your trip to give you the exact pick up time for your location. Transportation Pick Up at Hotel Lobby

11:00am Arrival at El Yunque National Forrest

12:20pm Visit to El Portal Information Center

• Video, Information, Souvenirs

12:30 – 1:00pm Visit to La Coca Falls

• Picture Area

1:10 – 1:25pm Visit Yokahu Observation Tower

• Picture Area

1:35 – 2:00pm Hike to La Mina Falls

2:15 – 4:00pm Restaurant Stop for Dinner

• Meals are not included*

4:30 – 5:50pm Arrival at Bio Bay Departure Point

• Check In and Pre Ride Instructions

6:10 – 6:45pm Kayak Launching

6:45 – 7:00pm Arrival to Laguna Grande

• Interpretation

7:30 – 8:00pm Kayak Landing

8:30pm Drop off at Hotel Lobby *9:30pm

Thank you! What company did you use?

I'm LOVING your pics of the sea turtles! I. MUST. DO. THAT.!!!

Thank you! What company did you use?

I'm LOVING your pics of the sea turtles! I. MUST. DO. THAT.!!!

Kayaking Puerto Rico

They have a variety of trips. Bio Bay only, a snorkeling, Rainforest, check them out. They're also on Facebook, Trip Advisor.

The kayaking in the Bio bay is dependent on the moon phases. They won't schedule trips on full moons, you won't be able to see the plankton then. I think it allows the bay to recover a bit from all the people visiting. There's also companies that don't kayak but you'll have to research those.

Kayaking Puerto Rico

They have a variety of trips. Bio Bay only, a snorkeling, Rainforest, check them out. They're also on Facebook, Trip Advisor.

The kayaking in the Bio bay is dependent on the moon phases. They won't schedule trips on full moons, you won't be able to see the plankton then. I think it allows the bay to recover a bit from all the people visiting. There's also companies that don't kayak but you'll have to research those.

Thank you! There's a new moon next 9/5 and we sail on 9/8 so it should be a good time! Now I just need to talk my hubby into it! ;)

I will also want Calypso Cruise's info - the excursion we were looking at is much pricier!

Loving your review along with everyone else. My husband and I are spending Christmas aboard the Victory for our Honeymoon and are counting the days! We are both checking multiple times a day to see if you have posted more pictures and info! We are spending 3 nights after in San Juan, and are doing the biobay kayak tour, and your review really pumped it up for us! For us it will be a great way to spend new years eve I think!

Cant wait to see what you did on the other islands....

Loving your review along with everyone else. My husband and I are spending Christmas aboard the Victory for our Honeymoon and are counting the days! We are both checking multiple times a day to see if you have posted more pictures and info! We are spending 3 nights after in San Juan, and are doing the biobay kayak tour, and your review really pumped it up for us! For us it will be a great way to spend new years eve I think!

Cant wait to see what you did on the other islands....

We will be getting off her when you are getting on..... so to speak :eek::rolleyes::D

Thank you! There's a new moon next 9/5 and we sail on 9/8 so it should be a good time! Now I just need to talk my hubby into it! ;)

I will also want Calypso Cruise's info - the excursion we were looking at is much pricier!

Correction on what I paid for, I paid 75/per adult and 40/per child, not 50/per child- off season prices. High season I was told is end of October through Christmas and what I was quoted the first time was 90/per adult and 50/per child.

As with anybody prices also change so keep that in mind.

Here's Nick Knowles contact info:

calypso (no spaces here) cruises at hotmail dot com

You can Google Calypso Cruises and his boat, Calypso Gal and Bridgetown Barbados

He's on Facebook - look up Calypso cruises Bridgetown Barbados

For those of you who don't have Facebook I've copied his description here:

Call Captain Nick at 246-252-1534

From the USA, just dial a 1 first, no country code is needed.

Description

calypso cruises caters for guest that want a relaxing sail down the coast. we limits our numbers for an uncrowded more personal cruise, taking a maximum of 14 guest , unless its a private cruise, or a group where every one knows one another (birthday / wedding party) then we would take up to 20.

REGULAR LUNCH CRUISE

On our regular 5hr lunch cruise (10-3) we sail down the west coast, where we snorkel at a ship wreck or coral reef, and with the turtles. after snorkeling we head to a quiet bay to have a delicious lunch, a refreshing swim and a sail back to bridgetown. lunch consists of chicken, fish. macaroni pie, rice, pasta salad, tossed salad and dinner rolls or garlic bread.

There is also an open bar to keep you well hydrated and happy! for you beer lovers we serve two types of beer, rum, vodka, gin, coconut rum, rum punch, pineapple juice, orange juice, fruit punch, coke, sprite, diet coke, tonic water, soda water, ginger ale, fresh water or salt water :P

PRIVATE CHARTER

our boat is available for private charter for those of you that want the boat for a birthday party, wedding party, or just an intimate getaway.

for this we charge by the hour, with a minimum of 3 hour or for as long as you would like the experience to last.

THE BOAT

Our boat , Calypso Girl is a 2003 43ft fontaine pajot sailing catamaran that is very comfortable and stable, perfect for just about every one. she has a custom ladder making it easy to get in and out of the water. a huge head (bath room) , indoor and out door seating so you can get just the right amount of sun. and a big front net for you to relax on.

(also look for Bridgetown, Barbados, there's a lot of Calypso cruises, and his cruise is spelled in all lowercase letters)

He just started a little Trip Advisor section

Calypso Cruises

So we board the Victory and get ready for dinner.

I have "A Study in Sushi" as an appetizer.

IMG_5383.jpg

For the main course me and DH have the jerk pork.

IMG_5386.jpg

Sis and Billy have the seafood pasta.

IMG_5384.jpg

Desserts. Last cruise I didn't take pics of food. This cruise I didn't take pics of menus, and I don't remember the exact descriptions. Next time I'll do better.

Boston Cream Pie.

IMG_5387.jpg

This was delicious, I forget the name. I think it was like a Ginger Cake?

IMG_5394.jpg

A little shimmy here and there and dancing on the tables were our entertainment for the night.

IMG_5362.jpg

Queue Carnival's version of Flashdance

IMG_5364.jpg

IMG_5378.jpg

Dinner was long so we head off to bed tired. Tonight's animal greets us from the bed. As close to our cat greeting us at the door. This one usually has chocolates to soothe our missing of our pet at home.

IMG_5399.jpg

I know some of you are leaving for your smiley-gen137.gif in the next few days.

You guys have surfing.gif.

smiley-eatdrink020.gif and bond.gif for me.

Don't think of smiley-chores015.gif.

Or even smiley-chores011.gif chores.

Do come back and tell me all about it!

Leaving Sat for San Juan. Hope we have as nice a time as you all did! And will tell you all about it- probably by simply linking to this wonderful review I've been reading.....oh! YOURS!:)

Any last minute thoughts for us who are heading out? (Not to jump ahead in your story) Something to watch out for or must do/see?

One quick question- what movies are showing onboard? My daughter has been asking.

Leaving Sat for San Juan. Hope we have as nice a time as you all did! And will tell you all about it- probably by simply linking to this wonderful review I've been reading.....oh! YOURS!:)

You will be getting off the boat as my wife and I are getting on... :D

Any last minute thoughts for us who are heading out? (Not to jump ahead in your story) Something to watch out for or must do/see?

One quick question- what movies are showing onboard? My daughter has been asking.

When we were there the movie that was continuously playing was We Bought A Zoo.

Despite all the research, you just may not have enough time to have that perfect vacation. There will be stuff you'll wish you did, more places to see or have done that due to time constraints- couldn't. It's always best to have an open mind and keep your expectations in check.

Must do- I've enjoyed the simple things. My daughter is going to be doing bottle cap jewelry making with her girl scout troop shortly and I suggested collecting foreign bottle caps. We've found a couple from the islands, and now I'm thinking of keeping those to ourselves. :rolleyes: They're unique and unusual. Looking and finding sea glass. And now, I just thought, next time I'll bring mini vials and collect....sand. The black sand at St. Kitts was unusual, and I heard of a beach that had pink sand, but didn't make it there. So, thought it'd be neat to collect and label vials of....sand from beaches we've been.

Just take tons of pictures. Anything that looks interesting. Those to me are priceless. I look at them and think, I never really paid attention to that, now that looks interesting!

If you like shopping, make sure you take a look and get to know Carnival's stock really well. You can then do your comparison shopping at the island and know if you're getting a good deal or not.

Anything else is hard to tell until I start talking about the island and the day.

Thanks so much for the info- actually wouldn't mind the movie- silly enough for sitting outside vaguely paying attention. Nothing to serious.

We don't plan on trying for perfect- easy and fun sounds good. And now I seriously need to get to the store since by this time tomorrow we will be in the air. And pictures- need to charge up the camera! Almost forgot!

Good morning!

The sun's angle at the time I took the pictures made it hard to get good shots; hard light and shadows.

IMG_5407.jpg

IMG_5414.jpg

We enter the port headfirst. Views are portside. Unfortunately you cannot view the two peaks from this area. Plane had just turned around and is waiting to takeoff. I waited to see but just couldn't see where it did.

IMG_5421.jpg

Shops in the pier. Next two pics are through the glass of the Mediterranean Restaurant as we are eating breakfast.

IMG_5419.jpg

That pyramid building catches your eye; it's so out of place with the buildings in the area. I find out from Josef, Herod's cousin and our guide that it is the Alliance Française, the French cultural centre built by the St Lucia Ministry of Education.

IMG_5418-1.jpg

Spider Man was playing on this cruise. My daughters really enjoyed watching out there. I think the Nanny Diaries was on the next night.

On the nights they were playing on the big screen outside we didn't watch any movies. The movie playing on the tv is what the kids had been watching.

This is a great review, it has been a pleasure to read.

In St Thomas did you get a taxi van for your tour. If so how many were in your party and what was the cost?

Thanks,

Red

Yes. We negotiated the cost down to $25/pp. We are a party of 6, she grabbed 2 more and so we were now 8. We did tip Marie well because she was very accommodating and good to us.

We jump off the ship early but Herod doesn't arrive till 8:30 AM. So, we wander the pier shops.

I'm looking for free wifi for my phone. The information desk directs me to Ti Cafe's but I think you have to buy a drink in order to get a password.

IMG_5428.jpg

I wander around and find the Rum Shop at the end of the shops. If you're facing the ship it's the shops on the right side.

Heading there, a quick pic. Beautiful gardens.

IMG_5437.jpg

The Rum Shop. In the little outside eating area we find the cruise crew with their laptops. Bingo!

IMG_5433.jpg

IMG_5430.jpg

IMG_5432.jpg

Nice view outside the Rum Shop.

IMG_5431-1.jpg

We turn around and head back, visiting some of the stores as they open up.

IMG_5434-1.jpg

Outside vendors.

IMG_5429.jpg

Now I'm getting antsy, it's already hot. 8:30 had come and gone. Apparently we're waiting for others on our tour.

We finally leave at 9:30AM. We are now a party of 14. Herod brings us over to the parking lot and we're split into 2 groups, my family has Josef and Herod takes the other 8. We jump into an air-conditioned minivan that fits us comfortably.

Josef's a tall, lanky guy. Laid back friendly demeanor. He starts pointing things out, like that pyramid I saw from the ship. He says it houses the French cultural arts and languages and is a school as well. I guess they really want to stand out, but really, not even French looking?

Sorry, next pics are from inside through the windows of the moving minivan and you take what you can get.

IMG_5443copy.jpg

IMG_5439copy.jpg

Cut and pasted from Wikipedia: (My picture doesn't do it justice, sorry)

The Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, located in Derek Walcott Square, Castries, Saint Lucia, is the seat of the Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Castries, currently Robert Rivas. The cathedral is named after Mary, mother of Jesus, under her title, Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. (It was built in 1897)

The form "Cathedral", as it is commonly known, is the largest church in the Caribbean, measuring 200 ft long (61 m) by 100 ft wide (30 m) and was elevated to the status of a Minor Basilica on 11 May 1999 as part of the centenary celebrations.

The interior of the church is beautifully adorned by a mural, depicting colorful biblical scenes. This exquisite decoration was done by St Lucian artist Dunstan St Omer. The side altars of the church are beautified with flowers. There are votive candles placed in red, green and yellow jars inside the church, creating a fairy tale effect. The ceiling of the Cathedral is ornamented with paneled portraits of the apostles. Placed above the central altar is the apse ceiling, which has four carved screens. There are paintings of 5 female saints on the apse ceiling, with Saint Lucy in the middle.

IMG_5445copy.jpg

The front door of the church was open and as we drove by I snagged this pic of the inside.

IMG_5447copy.jpg

The 400 year old Samaan tree provides shade to the Church. Josef says the tree is called the Massav tree by the locals.

The tree is located in The Derek Walcott Square. "The Derek Walcott Square is at the heart of the St. Lucia’s capital, Castries. It is named after the Honourable Derek Walcott, the St. Lucian author who, in 1992, won the Nobel Prize for Literature."

IMG_5450.jpg

We "head for the hills", and start climbing. We stop and pull over at the Governor's Mansion. We all get out and he talks a little about the Governor, the lady who has been re-elected several times over the years. Single, no children...Josef says each re-election is every 5 yrs. Imagine living here all by yourself!

We jump out and look....because we can!

IMG_5470.jpg

IMG_5471.jpg

IMG_5467.jpg

The view from across the street. The Guvna's View. :cool:

IMG_5457.jpg

Archived