C. Victory Sept. 16 '12 Review with pics

Karpkg

So we've been through the heart of Castries and seen a few of the local attractions. We've ventured through Morne Fortune and seen the northern part of the island which includes the port and surrounding areas such as the century old Governor House, residence of the Governor General. (Yes, I've looked this up, you can't expect me to remember all this, can you?) :D

Now we go to the stop that apparently all tours stop at for a view of Marigot Bay.

IMG_5481.jpg

IMG_5483.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

IMG_5484.jpg

Is this one's Dr. Doolittle's place? The original movie location which Rex Harrison filmed in 1967. I forget why I took this pic... I know we're pointed out Mick Jagger's place, and I believe George Harrison's from the Beatles. But when a finger is waved in the general direction of houses, I just snap at whatever's there.

IMG_5477.jpg

Ahhhh, one stop shopping. There's rum samples. NOTE: They run $1 each. Each medicinal cup. You know, a tad larger than the kind that you use for cough syrups. They look about 5 ounces. If at that. Hubby thinks $1 to try all you can taste, but nope. One dolla one cup. Yes, dollar is deliberately misspelled. Gotta go with the lingo, y'know?

IMG_5486-1.jpg

IMG_5491-1.jpg

The first of many necklaces you'll soon find vendors will be plying you with. At least here they're on display and not about to be placed around your neck unexpectedly and then expected to buy.

IMG_5488-1.jpg

Inside the shop. It's a little cooler in here. Just a little. Prices are around $6-$9, I remember reading that if you can hit a local market near the pier, it ranges around $3-5 for the banana ketchup local and unique to the area.

IMG_5489-1.jpg

A little souvenir store at the opposite end. Nothing worthwhile to take a pic. But I take a pic of this outside of the door:

IMG_5494.jpg

We drive on. At each of the stops we're offered cold sodas, and bottled water. The next stop is at the banana fields and there we're offered the alcoholic drinks and beer.

I hear Herod as a guide for the very first time and he's explaining about the bananas, how they're grown and ripened on the tree. He's very articulate, informative and interesting to listen to. We're offered free bananas and the taste, WOW! Talk about tasting home grown tomatoes vs. store bought ones, these bananas were very flavorful. Ethylene gas is used to ripened our bananas and it has no innate taste to it. I now think of our imported bananas as bland.

IMG_5497.jpg

IMG_5496.jpg

IMG_5499.jpg

This guy's heavily muscled and quite used to working outdoors.

IMG_5501.jpg

Course, DH can't resist showing off to the kids.

IMG_1791.jpg

Vendors are again located here and a few start circulating around the tourists. It becomes very common to say no and to walk away. They can get pretty aggressive and may be intimidating to some tourists. I had to coach the kids not to touch or reach for anything, and don't let anyone give you anything. Didn't work at the next stop and we end up buying a "fish" for a dollar.

IMG_5516.jpg

We head to Anse La Ray, a traditional fishing village.

IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5503.jpg

I thought this was really cool.

IMG_5504.jpg

Josef directs us to free bathrooms. Note, this is one place you may want to remember to bring toilet paper. Luckily they had some but..you may not be lucky in others.

The Local Catholic Church. And, it's called that as well.

IMG_5502.jpg

Quaint ginger-bread looking homes and colorful fishing boats. We park at the waterfront and walk around.

IMG_5511.jpg

DH is being approached by local fisherman asking for money. Being the low season and that the island are almost 90% dependent on tourism, they're hurting right now. We'll be one of 2 ships in port that entire week. Everywhere we turn we're being solicited. It's hard but understandable. Interestingly, Josef seems nonchalant about it. I guess he's used to it and knows everyone.

IMG_5508.jpg

Before we leave Anse La Ray Josef stops at a local bakery, zips in and out with a brown paper bag filled with piping hot local bread. Mmmmm! It filled the air and the kids attack it. Yumm!

Leaving Anse La Ray.

IMG_5517.jpg

I'll stop here till after the weekend. DH's been giving me the evil eye. borg.gif It's Friday night and I'm supposed to be packing up for a Cub Scout camping trip tomorrow. fire.gif

For those of you going on your trip, have a safe one! hiya.gif

I have just spent the past 1 1/2 hours reading this. TOTALLY AWESOME. Loved the Victory, tho we went on her ages ago aka pre dry dock and all the fancy stuff. Your pictures are amazing and I so admire and envy you how you really got the best of each of the islands. And such amazing weather! Wondering about your pics of SJ at the beginning. We have been there a few times (actually cruised from there way back, but DH was sick the pre cruise day we flew down to enjoy and the post cruise day we stayed to enjoy! :mad::() I think it's about post 48 before the fort pics. Lots of pretty homes/shops. Is this Old SJ? We will be going there in May so want to FINALLY see something! Enjoy your scout camping trip and thanks for sharing this wonderful cruise with us!

Yes, I agree, you have had nice weather!!

I'm glad you are going into detail about St. Lucia and what to expect as a tourist. We opted out of taking the land (van) ride to the Pitons because I heard about the aggressive sales at the stops and the winding ride. Even your tour guide was a bit disrespectful for making you wait, then not leaving until 9:30 until he had 2 full vans. We have an afternoon Carnival ship snorkel excursion to the Pitons by boat.

Loving your review!! :D

I have just spent the past 1 1/2 hours reading this. TOTALLY AWESOME. Loved the Victory, tho we went on her ages ago aka pre dry dock and all the fancy stuff. Your pictures are amazing and I so admire and envy you how you really got the best of each of the islands. And such amazing weather! Wondering about your pics of SJ at the beginning. We have been there a few times (actually cruised from there way back, but DH was sick the pre cruise day we flew down to enjoy and the post cruise day we stayed to enjoy! mad.giffrown.gif) I think it's about post 48 before the fort pics. Lots of pretty homes/shops. Is this Old SJ? We will be going there in May so want to FINALLY see something! Enjoy your scout camping trip and thanks for sharing this wonderful cruise with us!

Hello Karen, smiley-greet025.gif

I'm Karen too. My Avatar's a consolidation of Karen and package, or care package. tongue.gif

Yes all of those pics of pretty buildings are Old San Juan. Just walking up and down the streets. Of Laredo. whistling.gif

Yes, I agree, you have had nice weather!!

I'm glad you are going into detail about St. Lucia and what to expect as a tourist. We opted out of taking the land (van) ride to the Pitons because I heard about the aggressive sales at the stops and the winding ride. Even your tour guide was a bit disrespectful for making you wait, then not leaving until 9:30 until he had 2 full vans. We have an afternoon Carnival ship snorkel excursion to the Pitons by boat.

Loving your review!!

Thanks!

I don't begrudge Herod; the people we were waiting for were those who had already booked him prior to the cruise. He doesn't search for any more people- they're by appointment only. So if they don't show he loses out. And he tries to do a minimum of 10 so it's harder to gather strangers enough to make this land/sea tour happen. It took some doing through our roll call to get this one. There's not a minimum required for the land tour.

Well, I think I'm done packing, I'm off to bed. 'Night y'all! smiley-sleep026.gif

thank you for this wonderful review karpkg. The pics and descriptions were very helpful. We are thinking about doing this cruise in February. YOu are right about not having enough time to do everything. I lived in Bridgetown for 6 months and still didn't get to go to all the beaches and dive sites.

We climb once again and stop for a few viewpoints and to stretch our legs.

IMG_5518.jpg

A vendor at the next stop selling fruits. Josef grabbing some fresh coconut milk.

IMG_5526.jpg

Wild bananas catch my interest.

IMG_5524.jpg

Shot through the tinted glass of the moving van. Crossing the bridge of another fishing village. A woman washing and drying her clothes by the river.

IMG_5542copy.jpg

Passing through another fishing village.

IMG_5534copy.jpg

Finally, the Pitons are seen from a great distance.

IMG_5549.jpg

Zooming in. There is an overall haze throughout the islands we visit. It might be the time of year we visit. The air is very heavy in humidity and it is really hot.

IMG_5552.jpg

IMG_5560.jpg

My sister's camera.

IMG_1792.jpg

We drive closer and hit another vantage point. This time you can see, I believe Soufriere? Below.

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

We will end up again at Soufrie're (french word meaning sulphur) later but head to, you guess it, the "world's only drive in volcano". You used to be able to walk literally up to the edge until a tour guide by the name of Gabriel fell through and suffered 3rd and 2nd degree burns. Now you're restricted to a couple hundred feet away. And the spot where the accident happened? Ask and they'll point out to you "Gabriel's Hole".

IMG_5590.jpg

IMG_5592.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

IMG_5608.jpg

I walk up the hill away from my family and head to where the mineral baths are.

Passing by the vendors area. This guy has some beautiful carvings.

IMG_5609.jpg

I go down here.

IMG_5605.jpg

And peer further down and see these people. Can you believe there's a line?

IMG_5613.jpg

To do this?

IMG_5612.jpg

And people talk about the smell. Boiled or rotten eggs. Imagine slathering yourself with this, then after washing it off still smelling this in the van. :o

IMG_5614.jpg

Well, we're starving so we leave. But Herod's people want to do this. We go, they stay.

We arrive at Herod's house.

IMG_5618.jpg

We're gathered at his front porch and two casual tables with seating are placed. We sit in one and wait for Herod to appear. Then the food shows up. Wow!

IMG_5619.jpg

To be honest I don't remember what DS had. I believe the rounded breaded one is also a type of meat. Pork? Baked macaroni and cheese, sweet plaintains, 2 breaded fruits- Cassava and the Dalphine?

IMG_5621.jpg

DD had the chicken, baked macaroni and cheese and sweet plaintains. Her drink was limeade. Delicious!

IMG_5620.jpg

My plate. Top left-then clockwise: Blue Marlin, batter dipped and fried. Yellow sauce is banana ketchup, then rice and beans, the white one is a fruit- he called in Daphne/Daphine? Tasted very bland, like a white potato but soft. Curry chicken with other spices, slice of avocado and sweet plaintains. Yum!

IMG_5622.jpg

I had a Coke. Tip: If you had a choice of soft drinks, try their Coca Cola. It's bottled locally and tastes differently than ours. Why? They use real sugar, not corn syrup. The guys had Piton beer.

I see the other people at the next table and briefly say hi for the first time. I finally meet the one from our roll call thread who was asking for more people to join Herod's tour. I forget her Avatar, but it's notenuff(?) They're enjoying the food and the tour very much.

Herod's mother, Herod and Josef pose with us.

IMG_5624.jpg

Jalousie Beach. The dock divides the free side (thatched huts and snorkeling area) from the beach and luxury resort. I have like one or two pics of the free side, I have a ton of pics of the rich and famous side.

Free beach side. (People you see will fill up a boat shortly after we dock and they leave. Our group has the free side to ourselves.)

IMG_5653.jpg

229820_4502934809718_794908790_n.jpg

The rich and famous side. (Also the swim side. I spent my time here.)

IMG_5656.jpg

IMG_5669.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

IMG_5672.jpg

I took a quick glance at the Jalousie Plantation and a night reservation was $650/night.

IMG_5665.jpg

IMG_5688.jpg

More scenes.

IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5689.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

The beach is based on a volcanic island so expect it to be rocky. Tip: Everyone advises water shoes. I did not see any jelly fish since we left St. Thomas.

IMG_5668.jpg

Free beach side- My Sis' takes these shots with her camera. I borrow her snorkeling gear but I didn't go to the far right and out like they did.

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1804.jpg

Herod says it's time to go. He says he'll be dropped off at Soufriere and the other guides will take us back to Carnival. But along the way will be other sights to see.

IMG_5698.jpg

IMG_5710.jpg

IMG_5709.jpg

I'll say good night here too until tomorrow.

I agree with you about Jalousie Beach - didn't need water shoes at all!

And oh - keep forgetting to post about the other movies being shown in the rooms (not at the Seaside Theater). Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol, Hugo, The Iron Lady and We Bought a Zoo - they showed that last movie on the Elation this past May so I was able to recite the lines on the Victory, lol!!

Must do- I've enjoyed the simple things. My daughter is going to be doing bottle cap jewelry making with her girl scout troop shortly and I suggested collecting foreign bottle caps. We've found a couple from the islands, and now I'm thinking of keeping those to ourselves. :rolleyes: They're unique and unusual. Looking and finding sea glass. And now, I just thought, next time I'll bring mini vials and collect....sand. The black sand at St. Kitts was unusual, and I heard of a beach that had pink sand, but didn't make it there. So, thought it'd be neat to collect and label vials of....sand from beaches we've been.

What great ideas! I am starting a document to keep all of these fun, simple things:) Thanks for the ideas!

We leave in November and I'm so excited to see the rest of your review. We will have our 2 boys with us ages 10 and 8 and I hope they will have fun since there probably won't be too many kids on the trip.

Not sure what we will do for food when on the Islands. We are also scheduled with Herod and I'm a little nervous because my one son has food allergies to all nuts and coconut. I'm not thinking eating will be too easy for him. I'm going to have to pack a lot of his "snacks".

Archived