Questions for Travel Scoot owners.

kakarp

I will post my first time experiences with my little scoot when we get back sometime after the 7th of Jan.

Thanks again for all your help on this thread you all are Awesome !

I will be waiting to hear how it goes, just fine I am sure, because my first adventure with my TS will be Feb 3rd. If you can't tell from my penguins, and I haven't mentioned it once or twice, I am going around South America from LA to NY.

Travel safe and return with lots of news.

Right near the brake handles is a button like contraption on each side. Pull the brake handle very firmly and press down on the silver looking button. I have to use two hands to do this. You must do it on both sides. I have used (not any longer) the duffel bag in the past when I checked the scoot to our final destination. If doing that you won't have the scoot until you pick up your bags at your destination so you have to use a wheelchair to baggage claim. If you are doing a gate check you won't need the duffel.

If you still can't make it work, go to a local bike shop. They will show you how to work the brake.

Edited by katisdale

Thank you so much Again my Yep, DH was afraid if he really pushed hard he would break the cables. Finally with your encouragement he really put some pressure on it and Bingo it was locked.

So he was being just a little toooo timid on those dang buttons, As you say one, really has to put the pressure to it.

I have artherits in both my thumbs,which makes it very difficult for me to do .....As long as DH is in the vincinity then he will be able to do it !

Honestly we have never needed to lock it before. We just have it riding in the back of our car.Now we are trying to learn everything we need to know about my Lil Scoot before our cruise.

I also want to say that we put in a call to the Travel Scoot distributor in WA state yesterday evening. They called us back this AM and they said don't be afraid to put pressure on the Scoot they are built very,very well. So for anyone else who has any questions don't be afarid to call they are very eager to help

Thanks for the Duffle Bag Info ~ We will be Gate Checking this time so we will NOT take the duffle bag , If and when we go on our European Cruise we willbuy a Golf Bag and Check it just as you folks have done ! Thanks for being Trail Blazers for the rest of us :-)

Cotatica ~ Your Cruise sounds wonderful and we will all be waiting to hear how you and your little Scoot did :-)

I almost feel like I need a name for mine .....How about "Sally Scooter" LOL

I still have 13 days before we leave so I may be back on her again :-)

Merry Christmas to all and Best wishes for the coming New Year !

I am going to be gone almost 8 weeks and flying both ways. My cruise, Carnival Splendor, has lots of ports to get off and explore. I plan to ride my TS to the plane and do all the things that have been suggested and again pick it up when I get off the plane and ride it to baggage claim. Because I have mobility issues at times I can walk without aid, or I have to walk with a cane or I need to sit down or I have my TS. I think that probably fits most of us. Also I have a problem getting out of the pools on the ship but I think I have come up with a plan.

I am planning to use the well made big, long TS bag for transporting other devices I would like to take with me to make my trip better for me. I plan to put in the walker, I want to walk as much as I can for exercise, I just got that folds up and will fit in the bag with the bottom of the legs taken off. I plan to put walking polls in that I use when I go to the beach to walk in the sand and take into the water to get in and out. I plan to put in a small step that folds flat that I want to see if I can use it to get out of the big pools on the ship. I plan to take my seat cane that I will take on some tours where the TS will not go. In my mind these are all handicap devices because I am using them for my handicap. I would really like feedback from all of you if you think I will have a problem checking this bag. Yes I know better then to put socks and other things in the bag to pad it or fill it. I am going to get some bubble wrap if I need to for that.

As I have written this I think I will post this on the main page later but right now I would really like your ideas of what I should do or not do.

Thanks, Marla

I think that is a great idea. I would consider adding a tag marked "Handicapped equipment" or some such wording. I think it would fly free but you might have to speak with with a supervisor or the accessible person that is supposed to be at each airport.

Just finished my first cruise with my new TravelScoot.

Tipped it over once on the ship.

Be careful on ramps, walk it.

Lots of people had questions. Mainly how long the battery lasted.

Lots of people had envy in their eyes.

My cane fits perfect between the brakes and the handle bars.

HAL canvas bag works great on handle bars for holding things.

Has anyone checked a TS in with the porters for delivery to cabin?

In or out of bag?

The ramp in question was on deck 10 (I think) going from inside to outside.

It was very short & very steep.

At FLL, when getting off the Noordam there was one very long fairly steep

downhill ramp. I did a combination of almost dragging my feet and really riding the brakes

all the way down. A little scary but no problem.

Thanks for the information on where the ramps were. It gives me information that I need. I can walk so getting off and not taking chances seems to be the proper thing to do it sounds like when in doubt. Sorry you had to experience it but I will take the advice and use it. Marla

The ramp in question was on deck 10 (I think) going from inside to outside.

It was very short & very steep.

At FLL, when getting off the Noordam there was one very long fairly steep

downhill ramp. I did a combination of almost dragging my feet and really riding the brakes

all the way down. A little scary but no problem.

The technique I have used effectively with a steep ramp is to get rolling just a little fast, and then brake to almost a stop...get to the quick roll stage again and brake again almost to a stop. Repeat this all the way to the bottom. Never get moving so fast that you feel a breeze and you'll be able to keep control this way.

Marlee

Does any one have any suggestions about riding down a steep Jetway or riding up one which presents another set of problems .....Like when you hit those bumps where the jetway is connected and becomes even steeper ~ Yikes !!

Also does the Scoot have enough Oomph to go up those steep Jetways ?? I am not exactly a Petite Flower :-)

I'm getting nervous as I have only be on my Travelscoot a couple of times ! I think leaning forward going uphill and leaning back going down hill makes sense to change the center of gravity but the big bumps on the Jet ways might cause a tip .....I have no problem just puting my foot down to catch myself if the Scoot tips but, I'm starting to think I might want to just get off it and walk it over those Bumpy things !

I already know NOT to ride it off and on the ship and to let staff carry it off, Thanks to everyone on this Board ~

It's the Gate check that has me nervous !

I'm sure once we get a routine down and we have done it a few times it won't be so ominus ! It's a lot of trial and hopefully not to much error~LOL

Does any one have any suggestions about riding down a steep Jetway or riding up one which presents another set of problems .....Like when you hit those bumps where the jetway is connected and becomes even steeper ~ Yikes !!

Also does the Scoot have enough Oomph to go up those steep Jetways ?? I am not exactly a Petite Flower :-)

I'm getting nervous as I have only be on my Travelscoot a couple of times ! I think leaning forward going uphill and leaning back going down hill makes sense to change the center of gravity but the big bumps on the Jet ways might cause a tip .....I have no problem just puting my foot down to catch myself if the Scoot tips but, I'm starting to think I might want to just get off it and walk it over those Bumpy things !

I already know NOT to ride it off and on the ship and to let staff carry it off, Thanks to everyone on this Board ~

It's the Gate check that has me nervous !

I'm sure once we get a routine down and we have done it a few times it won't be so ominus ! It's a lot of trial and hopefully not to much error~LOL

Yes, Yes, Yes just get off it and walk it over those Bumpy things

You will NOT have time to "just puting my foot down to catch myself if the Scoot tips"

Did you tip do this on your Travel Scoot too Or are you just quoting Jack ?? I have a hard time grasping these quotes thingys sometimes ??

I am sorry for Jack Retired you too ! This was from the Tip on your last Cruise ?

Yikes the more I hear the more I know that until I get really good at riding my Lil Scoot I will be walking all bumps .....Yikes !

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Goodnight !

I'm getting nervous as I have only be on my Travelscoot a couple of times ! I think leaning forward going uphill and leaning back going down hill makes sense to change the center of gravity but the big bumps on the Jet ways might cause a tip .....I have no problem just puting my foot down to catch myself if the Scoot tips but, I'm starting to think I might want to just get off it and walk it over those Bumpy things

NEVER lean back on the Travelscoot EVER! Or you might tip over! If you wait till the plane has completely emptied and there is no one on the jet way you can get up to speed and get over the "bumps" leaning foward as long as the jetway isn't at too steep of an angle...that all depends on the type of plan...smaller commuter planes usually have a steep angle....not so much with larger planes.. If it is too steep better to walk like other's have said. But for the most part I've been able to ride mine up the ramp. Down the ramp is never a problem, I just coast and keep those breaks ready to go off and on so you don't go too fast! Only use the throttle for a little bit when first entering the jetway....coast the rest of the way with intermmitent breaking on the way down.

Edited by nieciez

Yesterday we booked a cruise on P & O UK going from the UK to the Mediterranean then back to the UK....sounds great. During the booking process it was brought to our attention that as of March 2013 you will only be able to use mobility scooters (any kind including TS) if you are occupying a 'disabled' cabin. Our cruise isn't until September but no disabled cabins available for this cruise...we have still booked but asked to be put on the wait list if such a cabin becomes available. We can manage if need be without the TS around the ship but it just makes life so much more enjoyable for my husband.

Apparently this is a new directive from Carnival that UK travel agents have been sent affecting all Cunard, Princess and P & O UK cruises. If we wanted to pay double the standard balcony cabin price, we could have a mini suite 'disabled' cabin but this was not an option for us. Previously the policy was that you had to be wheelchair bound to use a disabled cabin, now it has been changed that if you want to use a mobility scooter on board you must occupy a disabled cabin regardless of your level of disability. We are pretty disappointed at this change of policy and wonder how others feel. My husband has used his TS recently on a short cruise and found it very liberating and we are certainly taking it on our South American trip in January. I'm sure there are going to be a lot of disgruntled TS owners when this information gets around a bit more!

• 3 years later...

> I already know NOT to ride it off and on the ship

I know this is a very old thread but it contained a lot of priceless information and I thank all the people who posted in it (who are still around). But is this still what the voice of experience recommends, to not use the TravelScoot to get on and off the ship? That is one of the big reasons I'm looking at buying (not necessarily a TS but it's on the short list) rather than just renting.

Thanks, Katisdale. I've only been on one cruise before, there was no special ramp for wheelchair users (RCL) but the ramp didn't look too steep for an ordinary powerchair to manage. Although it certainly exhausted my husband who decided to be too macho to accept the offer of cruse employees to push me up! lol

• 2 months later...
> I already know NOT to ride it off and on the ship

I know this is a very old thread but it contained a lot of priceless information and I thank all the people who posted in it (who are still around). But is this still what the voice of experience recommends, to not use the TravelScoot to get on and off the ship? That is one of the big reasons I'm looking at buying (not necessarily a TS but it's on the short list) rather than just renting.

I use my TS to get on and off the ship all the time (about 6 cruises with it). Staff are helpful and guide me down and make sure the brakes work and they are in front and behind me to assist. Also my husband is usually right there as well. Have not had any problems. They also let me get on tenders with it too.

When ramps are too steep or only have steps someone from the ships crew carries my Travelscoot on and off for me.

Wendy

Thanks, Wendy. I bought a Triaxe Sport and will definitely plan to use it to get on and off the ship. Think I'll try to find a steep ramp locally to practice on as it doesn't have automatic brakes so I want to make sure I'm good with the hand brake before using it on a ship ramp!

• 2 months later...

I decided to respond to this because most of the answers are several years old. The travel scoot no longer uses a belt drive and now has a reverse switch, although I still prefer to use my feet in a small space such as an elevator. I have had it for a couple of years now and taken it on my last 5 cruises. It has really broadened my world. I typically have no trouble getting on and off the ships. Occasionally my wife will need to push on my back if it is a steep incline. On our last cruise on Fathom's P&O Adonia, the ridges and inclines made it necessary to carry the travel scoot up and down. If my wife was with me, she could do it. For those with some mobility but merely have difficulties with distance or length of time walking, I can't imagine anything better!

• 2 weeks later...

poolmwv,

You know mamasylvia got me to thinking, along with your post as well. There are a *LOT* of small scooters out there and they all have some sort of unique setup. I initially was leaning toward the TravelScoot but bought a SmartScoot. Mainly because of 3 things. Stainless Steel, disk brake, cheaper battery. But there are tons and tons of different ones that have some very clever designed features, like the Triaxe it has luggage bumpers.

So I guess my point is: Do lots of research. Talk to the venders directly. Try to ride every one you can. Then be happy with what you bought!

If you rent them, like I did, consider how many rentals would buy the scooter. I am discovering that I should have bought the TravelScoot 4 years ago and saved a lot of rental money.