Aunt Linda Sails to Alaska – Review of Radiance of the Seas Northbound from Vancouver

MisterMom

Nice to have you back! :)

Thanks so much. I’ve benefited from these detailed reviews so I want to “pay it forward.” As with life, though, it’s challenging to make the time to do so! I’m having such a good time reliving my memories from this trip, I’m sure I’ll finish this out!

I love this review! I hope you get to finish it. I'm waiting to hear your son's reaction to Skagway...

Not to give any spoilers, but our younger son made one of the most surprising statements I’ve ever heard him say in Skagway…. Stay tuned!

Up and at ‘em! Breakfast on the veranda. (I like Derrell’s stocking cap.)

DSC04549.jpg

Like Aunt Linda, Tim is quite the camera hog.

DSC04551.jpg

Our day in Skagway is jam-packed. We booked the “Skagway Extravaganza” which consists of a narrated coach bus ride up the Klondike Highway to mile marker 22.2 in Fraser, British Columbia, Canada. There, we board a train on the historic White Pass and Yukon Railroad followed by a salmon bake at “Liarsville.” Then, a private party in the Red Onion Saloon followed by some walking around time in Skagway. This “extravaganza” did not disappoint.

From Skagway, we can see both the highway (on the left) and the rail line (on the right).

DSC04564.jpg

As we climb the Klondike Highway, I sneak a peek of the WP&Y RR.

DSC04591.jpg

Here is the cantilevered bridge on the Klondike that spans a fault so it’s only connected to one side of the creek crossing underneath.

DSC04599.jpg

After a gorgeous ride up to Fraser, we successfully make it through customs and board the train.

DSC04649.jpg

The scenery is simply stunning. Malik took the camera and photographed just about everything he could. Here are some highlights.

DSC04695.jpg

DSC04696.jpg

Side note: My dad took us, as kids, on several train rides from the Amtrak Southern Crescent to a steam special from SC to Chattanooga. I have fond memories of those train trips. As such, I have “dragged” our boyz on several “train” trips from the train that circles Six Flags over Georgia to Tweetise Railroad in NC to the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway in North Georgia. Malik doesn’t share the same excitement that I do. However, about this time in the WP&Y RR trip, Malik says, “I’m never complaining about a train trip anymore.” I’m glad I finally found a train trip that we both could enjoy.

A peek down the valley to Skagway.

DSC04718.jpg

DSC04778.jpg

Thrilled at the train ride.

DSC04809.jpg

Sadly, we approach Skagway to end our trip.

DSC04817.jpg

We re-board our bus and take a trip to “Liarsville” for the salmon bake lunch, show and activities.

DSC04829.jpg

DSC04827.jpg

Mmmmm. Lunch. If you go to Liarsville, ask for extra “sauce” from the vat on the right to coat your cornbread. Yum. Also get one (or several) local Alaska-brewed beers.

DSCF0778-1_zps1fe01b47.jpg

DSC04826.jpg

After lunch, we have an opportunity to tour Liarsville and enjoy a quick, live presentation.

DSC04834.jpg

DSC04846.jpg

A reproduction brothel….

DSC04830.jpg

After the presentation, we have an opportunity to become gold miners.

Where’s the Beek?

DSC04844.jpg

Linda and Freddy give panning a try.

DSC04868.jpg

DSC04870.jpg

Lindsey SWEARS there’s glacial gold in the creek running through Liarsville.

DSC04872.jpg

BEAR ATTACK!

DSCF0802_zps1323b0b1.jpg

After the prepared activities, we have time to wander through Liarsville and the General Store. Side note: Aunt Linda has an “addiction” to toilet paper that has become quite an inside joke in our family. She must have several rolls on hand at all times. As it turns out, she goes through about half a roll IN A DAY! We don’t question it and just let it roll (pun intended). So, I thought it appropriate to get this shot.

DSC04877.jpg

We say goodbye to Liarsville and reboard the bus to head into Skagway for a tour of the Red Onion Saloon. We are greeted with liquid refreshments, one of which is the local Alaskan brew. Yum. More beer. (Linda wasn’t thirsty and doesn’t drink alcohol so I asked her to get a beer which she gave to me so I was two-fisting it on the tour. ;-) )

DSC04886.jpg

One of the “cribs.” (I almost posted this as our on-board cabin picture. J )

DSC04887.jpg

The Madam’s room.

DSC04889.jpg

Then, walking around time. Here’s the antique, but still operable, snow blower for the WP&Y RR.

DSC04906.jpg

DSC04893.jpg

The caboose. Luckily, Timothy likes train rides as much as I do!

DSC04894.jpg

Lindsey is tuckered out.

DSC04907.jpg

Well, our Skagway extravaganza has come to an end so we hoof it back to the Radiance. Here’s a sailaway shot.

DSC04910.jpg

Tonight is the second formal night. We skipped family pics on the first formal night so we have to cram in as many pics as possible.

DSC04921.jpg

You can see my forced grin as I’m telling everyone “Discomfort felt during formal portraits is temporary but digital photography is forever. Look at the camera and smile!”

image11_zpse2190407.jpg

This is my favorite.

image3_zps2a1452c4.jpg

• 2 months later...
Thank you' date=' thank you for the amazing photos and review.

It is so sad that, the only question I have, you can't answer. When am I going to travel there?

Hahaha:):):)[/quote']

August 2014 with us!

I know. I know. Do you have any questions I can answer?

I was really enjoying your review! It looked like your balcony was port side. Would you recommend port over starboard as far as the scenery goes? There is nothing I enjoy more than breakfast on the balcony or a cocktail on the balcony before dinner!:)

Well, I have a few minutes to spare so let’s see if I can wrap up this review. I’m going to dust off the cobwebs of my memory but at least I’ll have some cool pictures to share.

Today is a sea day so it’s a day to just chill out. However, even sea days in Alaska have some excitement. We have a nice breakfast in the MDR and then announcements start overhead about our approach to the Hubbard Glacier. I want to get a good spot on the helipad but by the time Derrell and I get there, every railing spot is taken. However, we manage to finagle a good spot.

Our approach to Hubbard…

DSC04961.jpg

(I don’t have a good pic of this but the staff had set up coffee, hot chocolate and adult “shots” for both (for sale) on the helipad so everyone could warm up if needed. I believe they had hot water for tea, too.)

DSC04979.jpg

This pic has been my desktop pic at work for many months now.

DSC04989.jpg

Some close-ups of the glacier calving into the bay.

DSC05108.jpg

DSC05229.jpg

Naturally, the blue in the ice was beautiful.

DSC05005.jpg

The captain got very close and turned the ship a couple times so we could get several views of the glacier. Occasionally, we could hear the “white thunder” which was the sound of the glacier moving and cracking. It was spooky but very cool. Alas, it’s time to depart. A ship photog grabs a cool pic of Derrell and me.

image2_zpsf57a9c16.jpg

The crew also launched one of their rescue boats to bring a piece of the glacier onboard for an ice carving. I don’t recall the carving, but I did manage a pic of the chunk.

DSC05241.jpg

I’d hate to be the guest that had my luggage hauled on that luggage cart.

Suddenly, the cruise director comes on board and announces the rescue boat has spied some Alaskan wildlife ahead off the port side of the ship. I swear the ship must have listed with everyone scurrying over to see what he was talking about. Well, not to be a spoiler (but I will be), there was, indeed, some Alaskan “wildlife” on shore.

DSC05247.jpg

DSC05253.jpg

DSC05260.jpg

A bit of a prank for the passengers but a prank with a cause to raise awareness of the fundraiser occurring onboard.

Since we had the remainder of the day to simply enjoy the ship and each others’ company, my sister and Lindsey try the rock climbing wall and are quite successful.

DSC05289.jpg

DSC05294.jpg

Somehow, my sister convinces Malik and Cameron to play a round of mini-golf. (On our Carnival Dream cruise, I had to bribe the boyz to play a round with Derrell and me. I upped the ante and bet them if we won, they would have to do the waterslides with me. I forgot what their bet was if they won because, naturally, the old men kicked their butts!)

This is a neat way to experience Alaska – on a floating golf course.

DSCF0915_zps2871d505.jpg

Malik just doesn’t get cold – still wearing shorts.

DSCF0916_zps971a16fe.jpg

DSCF0921_zps324b9514.jpg

Here are some random FYI shots for those sailing on the Radiance.

Minifridge

DSC05316.jpg

DSC05317.jpg

DSC05318.jpg

Kids’ area (I think this was for the under 3 years old)

DSCF0934_zpsc3426aeb.jpg

As usual, we have a family meal together – this time Anytime Dining. Service and food were wonderful. We all have a busy day tomorrow with travel and further adventures (for some of us).

Sadly, this is the day we debark in Seward. My sister and her family have to fly back today so they bus it to Anchorage to catch their flight.

To give Linda an even more in depth taste of Alaska, I’ve taken my biggest risk of the trip. I have booked a rafting trip through the Kenai Canyon. Not just the short trip, but the all-day, lunch included craziness. Linda doesn’t know how to swim and I simply don’t know what we’re in for.

Unfortunately, with the weather as misty as it was and this being a potentially very wet trip, my pictures are sparse. We rented a car in Seward to drive to the Alaska River Company outpost. We got geared up and met our guide, Torch. We liked Torch. Nice, handsome guy. Anyway, we rafted the Kenai Canyon and reached the lake. The river part was pretty tame. Torch pulled onto a beach and we had sandwiches for lunch. I’m not a big sandwich fan but anything tastes better on the shores of an Alaskan lake after a cool rafting trip. After lunch, Torch started the engine on the boat to zip across the lake to where we took out and met up with the van to return us to the outpost.

Perhaps you’re wondering if Linda liked the rafting trip or not? To this day, when I ask her her favorite parts of the trip, the rafting adventure is at the top of her list. Success!!! Here’s a pic of us (and Torch) after surviving the rafting trip.

DSC05330_1_.jpg

Torch and Linda

DSC05326.jpg

We stopped for some ice cream on our way back to Seward. It’s now time to complete our final (planned) adventure in Alaska and that’s a Dome Car on the Great Alaska Railroad!

DSC05778.jpg

DSC05334.jpg

DSC05344.jpg

Derrell has to butt in my photo. J

DSC05346.jpg