Aunt Linda Sails to Alaska – Review of Radiance of the Seas Northbound from Vancouver

MisterMom

We make our way to the Aurora Theatre to get in line for the tender. We have The Marine Mammal Tour booked so we get priority tendering. Pretty convenient.

Will you please clarify? This is the second reference I have come across regarding priority tendering, the first being from the private tour operator we have booked to take us on a whale/wildlife watching tour. Do we have to get tickets to take an early tender? Our cruise is in 24 days, and to say we are excited is a gross understatement....

I am enjoying your report, and meeting your family. Thank you for sharing your trip with all of us readers.

:)

Oh, will definitely have the raspberry martini. Although the lemon drop has been my favorite up to now..

Edited by Seagalpat

• 8 months later...

Great info! I have read most, but not all of this. I think one of my concerns is that I am way over here in Central New York, and to cruise Alaska I will need to go to Vancouver or Seattle...then it is a 7 day cruise. I'm wondering about the flights, then getting ourselves to and from the port, etc. We really like to keep the traveling simple, and I usually just take one week of vacation time, no extra days. Since I haven't looked at the airfare and all that yet, I'm wondering if it might be a bit complex for us at this time, and maybe we should plan when I can get an extra day thrown in, such as the week before Memorial Day or something like that. It might make the traveling easier.

such as the week before Memorial Day or something like that. It might make the traveling easier.

It is indeed a great review and one that pushed me to book the trip rather than edit a few years like I has planned to do. And I am so glad I did as it was the best trip I have done.

As for travelling. It's really not that bad. I travelled from Australia for this cruise so from NY is a piece if cake.

I also went the week before Memorial Day and it was superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Great info! I have read most, but not all of this. I think one of my concerns is that I am way over here in Central New York, and to cruise Alaska I will need to go to Vancouver or Seattle...then it is a 7 day cruise. I'm wondering about the flights, then getting ourselves to and from the port, etc. We really like to keep the traveling simple, and I usually just take one week of vacation time, no extra days. Since I haven't looked at the airfare and all that yet, I'm wondering if it might be a bit complex for us at this time, and maybe we should plan when I can get an extra day thrown in, such as the week before Memorial Day or something like that. It might make the traveling easier.

You'll see what we did (arriving in Vancouver the day before and overnighting in Anchorage before flying out) but there's little that should prevent you either flying in the day of (not recommended - get there the night before) and flying out the same day you disembark.

You'll see what we did (arriving in Vancouver the day before and overnighting in Anchorage before flying out) but there's little that should prevent you either flying in the day of (not recommended - get there the night before) and flying out the same day you disembark.

The cost and hassles of travel to 2 different location many miles apart is exactly why we chose to cruise roundtrip from Vancouver.

We know it saved us nearly $900 in airfare alone compared to a one-way North or South Alaska cruise, and yet we get all the whale-watching and glaciers we can handle in a week.

That's one alternative to the north or south routes.

• 3 weeks later...

No one can hear enough praise, true? Your review is simply amazing, and your children, partner, Linda, and other family also just seem like such great people! I am new to this forum and just stumbled upon your review and couldn't stop until I finished. I truly enjoyed your storytelling and review and such positivity. I can just feel the joy in your family. I found your review by searching for reviews of excursions. I am taking the NB trip on this ship in June. My first Alaskan cruise was 11 years ago, when I was 9 weeks pregnant, with my only child, on this same boat. He will be accompanying me, along with my mom, on this trip. My dad died a year ago, and mom always wanted to go with dad on an Alaskan cruise. So sad it never happened, but we will do it as a family instead. I have even booked some of the same excursions as when I was pregnant, such as salmon fishing in Ketchikan, and the helicopter/sled dog in Juneau because I remember them so well and they were so incredible! it will be so amazing to experience this boat again and these same excursions again now with my son as a living person! I so remember the windows in the dining room and how the inside was outside from everywhere. Anyway, I really appreciate your effort in posting because it takes a lot of effort to share your pics and memories and the cruise line really benefits from this. Maybe your first drink will be free next time! And give Aunt Linda a spin for me!

No one can hear enough praise, true? Your review is simply amazing, and your children, partner, Linda, and other family also just seem like such great people! I am new to this forum and just stumbled upon your review and couldn't stop until I finished. I truly enjoyed your storytelling and review and such positivity. I can just feel the joy in your family. I found your review by searching for reviews of excursions. I am taking the NB trip on this ship in June. My first Alaskan cruise was 11 years ago, when I was 9 weeks pregnant, with my only child, on this same boat. He will be accompanying me, along with my mom, on this trip. My dad died a year ago, and mom always wanted to go with dad on an Alaskan cruise. So sad it never happened, but we will do it as a family instead. I have even booked some of the same excursions as when I was pregnant, such as salmon fishing in Ketchikan, and the helicopter/sled dog in Juneau because I remember them so well and they were so incredible! it will be so amazing to experience this boat again and these same excursions again now with my son as a living person! I so remember the windows in the dining room and how the inside was outside from everywhere. Anyway, I really appreciate your effort in posting because it takes a lot of effort to share your pics and memories and the cruise line really benefits from this. Maybe your first drink will be free next time! And give Aunt Linda a spin for me!

How wonderful you get to go on this trip with your mom and son, given their "connection" to an Alaskan experience.

I sailed Alaska as a kid with my parents and siblings. My dad passed from cancer about 8 years ago and I miss not having him around to experience these travels. Luckily, though, I see enough of him in Aunt Linda (his sister) so it's kinda' like he's with us. And great for your mom for continuing to live her life after your dad passed.

This trip really set the bar high for Aunt Linda so I know we'll be sailing Alaska again. I hope you have as wonderful and magical a time as we did!

• 6 months later...
Loved your review, great info! What are your thoughts on the drink packages offered? Worth it?

If you think your overall beverage spend for the cruise will be more than the total cost of the package, definitely get the package. Just got back from a transatlantic and probably should have gotten it with all the drinking on sea days. If you're staying onboard during your cruise rather than visiting ports, you'll likely drink more and benefit from the package.

Thanks for the comment!

• 5 months later...

Just finished re-reading your review for the third time. I really enjoyed it, gave me some ideas in planning our Alaska cruise in summer of 2016. Yours was especially helpful since the age range of the kids in your group is pretty close to mine.

I've enjoyed this review as well as others, hope you review your future cruises!!

• 2 weeks later...

I cannot wait to get home and read this with pictures (silly blocking programs at school won't let me see them here) as I'm on the southbound Radiance (Anchorage to Vancouver) later this summer with my running coach, her husband, and 80 or so fellow runners. :)

Thanks for taking the time to do it!!

Just finished reading it AND seeing your gorgeous pictures!! Thank you so much for doing it!!

One thing that confused me though... Do they actually have champagne in the Champagne Bar? Or it is just one of those confusing names? Here and other places I've seen people talk about the martinis there...to me martinis aren't exactly associated with champagne.

Just finished reading it AND seeing your gorgeous pictures!! Thank you so much for doing it!!

One thing that confused me though... Do they actually have champagne in the Champagne Bar? Or it is just one of those confusing names? Here and other places I've seen people talk about the martinis there...to me martinis aren't exactly associated with champagne.

Hi there and thank you! YES, there are champagne and champagne cocktails at the Champagne Bar. Derrell prefers his Strawberry Bellini - champagne with strawberry coulis.