Diving St Thomas with Royal Caribbean?

TexCruise371

In 2011, I didn't have time to complete my certification, but I wanted to dive in St Thomas. I did the INTRO TO SCUBA dive, here in St Thomas. It was that or wait a year. There were about 8 of us, but there were 2 divers who came along with this group who were certified and went out on there own. I believe the area was called Buck Island. I had a good time, but our dive was severely limited by a person that in my mind, without needing to justify to anyone else, was an idiot. This person couldn't swim, yet signed up for a scuba excursion. This demanded so much of the instructors time that I'm sure he cut us short. What I did see in the short time I was there was amazing and I would have loved to gone back down.

I am going back, but I am going private with Blue Island Divers based on recommendations here.

I hope you get more info, but I thought this might be a little helpful.

(Oh, the company that RC used, did come into the CC forums with a fake user name and talked up the company. )

• 2 weeks later...

I have done both, dove through the ship and done a private excursion. I would suggest going through Blue Island, Red Hook or Coki Dive Center. They are all very good.

The biggest difference was the trip through the ship had 50 + divers on it, where the others had 6-10 which was a much nicer experience.

We booked through Island Marketing with a small local outfit (sorry can't remember their name - I'll try to find it and post later). We actually did a single diver/5 snorkeler private trip which was great. Significant price difference and they picked us up (in their boat) right next to the ship and returned us there - it was a snap!:D

Don't dive with the ship at St. Thomas, there are several excellent private operators there. I've dived with Blue Island Divers twice and wouldn't use anyone else. The last time was in August when I was there on Oasis of the Seas.

Archived