Whale sightings in November?

sandyoftheseas

Most of the whales will have returned to cooler waters by November.

I heard on the radio the other day that the day boats were still seeing a couple of stragglers but the bulk of the population are already south of Sydney and heading further away.

JacintaH- Thank you for answering my question. We were planning on possibly taking a whale watching tour while in Sydney but, from your response it sounds like it would just be an expensive boat ride LOL. We are now planning on going to the Taronga Zoo instead.

This makes me wonder if there will be other sea life to spot from the ship at that time of year (November). Can anyone tell us what to be on the lookout for?

What is your intinerary MJC? You can range from tropical waters to temperate waters and the sea life will all be different.

JacintaH- Thank you for answering my question. We were planning on possibly taking a whale watching tour while in Sydney but, from your response it sounds like it would just be an expensive boat ride LOL. We are now planning on going to the Taronga Zoo instead.

A day at Taronga Zoo will be lots of fun, its a great spot.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Australia last trip in June and July and there were many whales with calves....great experience. We also go whale watching around the world and sometimes miss the season :(

Karen

While November isn't the peak of the whale season, like say June or July is, you may still see the odd straggler. Dolphins are playfull all year around on much of the Australian coast. I saw loads last weekend on the beach off the Queensland coast.

Talk to the local operators where you are, they will know the best spots for each location. Good luck :-)

Archived