Can you book non cruise excursions in advance?

tripletsmommy

I am wondering can you book excursions with out going through NCL? This is the second time we are going on NCL's star and last year we didnt do any excursions because of the high prices. Now I am wondering if you can do anything with out going through NCL? Thanks

If you can locate something online that you like, you certainly can make a reservation. You usually have to pay something in advance, either full cost or deposit. Many, many do it with no problem. You will be sending credit card information to a stranger in a foreign land, and make sure you find out about cancellation/missed port policy. And of course, the standard warning, if your late, the ship will leave you.

I suspect more folks book with a local than with NCL, but I don't know. I do know that at most ports there are many vendors waiting around to try to get you to sign up.

You can also find lots of information and reviews of tour companies in the Ports of Call section of this message board. Just look up where you are going and see what other CC members have to say about it.

We booked a tour last October because of the reviews we found on this site and had a great time.

Join the rollcall for your cruise - no doubt you will find other doing private excursions. We try to book as a "group" with other from our rollcall - there's safety in numbers. I have never had to prepay for a private excursion - most want cash anyway - at the end of the excursion. YMMV

If you go to the ports section of these boards, you will find tons of reviews, pictures and advice on who to book with and where to go. Pick something that interest you and research it.

We hardly ever book with the cruise ship because you can usually do the exact same thing with a company in that port for about 1/2 the cost. :)

Tour providers in port cities are acutely tuned to the needs of ship passengers. It's their livelihood. They know when the ships arrive and when they depart. I typically book 2/3 of my tours separate from the cruise line because of price. You can generally find similar excursions priced 25% -35% less, in my experience.

Pick and choose your excursions based on what you want to do and the options. On our western caribbean trip we booked everything outside of the cruise line and had a wonderful experience. In Alaska we booked a private fishing trip, plus we did an NCL excursion that wasn't available through other providers. When we went to Grand Cayman we booked off-line, and our boat got to stingray city an hour before the crowds. :)

The advantage of booking through the line is that they will wait for you if you are delayed (traffic, etc.) getting back to the ship, or they will get you to the next port on their dime. However, I got the same guarantee from my fishing provider in Juneau. Some will also argue that the ship can refund your money but you're "at risk" with a private tour if you can't go on the trip. We booked a day at Maya Chan on Costa Maya and Epic couldn't dock due to bad weather. The refund of our several hundred dollar payment was back in our accounts before you could blink an eye.

Bottom line is, there is a little more risk if you go off-line, but that can be minimized with some homework. The result can be a great trip for a fraction of the price.

Beyond the lower prices, you'll have a much more intimate experience by booking on your own. On previous Med cruises, we've done groups as small as four with a cab driver in Santorini up to 30 of us who chartered our own bus and guide in Barcelona. Riding in a comfortable minivan of eight along the steep cliffs of the Amalfi Coast is SO much nicer than on a bus of 40 or more! Your dining options are better, and you don't have to wait on the bus for those long scheduled restroom breaks. Your roll call is a great way to meet your fellow cruisers and arrange small group outings!

I used to book all my excursions through the cruise line, but after joining here I realized all the other options. My last cruise in April I booked all private through recommendations on the port pages. My upcoming cruise I did all private except for Belize. Just research everything and the amount of money saved is GREAT!!

I am wondering can you book excursions with out going through NCL? This is the second time we are going on NCL's star and last year we didnt do any excursions because of the high prices. Now I am wondering if you can do anything with out going through NCL? Thanks

absolutely!

Check the port-of-call boards for ideas, suggestions and reviews of excursions/guides!!!

Archived