Luggage Valet in FLL using United Airlines?

grammy c

We are cruising B2B 12/1-12/29 on the Eclipse and are traveling United. This morn. got a schedule chg. from them for the return making it really hard to get off the ship and to the airport on time. We now depart 11:19 instead of 1:30. We have never tried to leave this early, but some say it MIGHT be possible if you do self debark. and maybe the luggage valet. Has anyone sucessfully done this. Does Celebrity work with united? Also need help with quick schuttle to airport, if the valet thing does not pan out. Never had to deal with this schedule chg. before, and I'm beginning to panic. Any help would be wonderful.

We've had this happen... call United and tell them that the schedule change is unacceptable and why. See if you can get a later flight out. That way you won't be stressed about making your flight. We've had success doing this... once they learned we were departing cruisers, they put us back on the original flight.

Don't panic.

First, call United and tell them that this schedule change is not good for you and you would like other options. They should provide you a no-fee change if there is space available on a later flight.

If there is no option, then still, don't panic. FLL is very close to the cruise port. This time frame is not a difficult one to accomplish (assuming that the ship arrives on time, etc.).

Luggage valet is offered for FLL but there are several conditions -- there have to be enough people interested, the flight has to be within certain time parameters, and TSA has to approve you. I don't know whether your flight is within the time frame, and you won't know until you are on board. Even if it is offered, there might not be enough others signing up, so it still might not happen for you.

At this port, taxis are plentiful. You can tell the staff at Guest Relations that you are very nervous about your flight, and ask for an early disembarkation time. Get a taxi and within ten minutes or so you'll be at the airport.

Don't let this mess up your cruise!

Thanks to all. Have called United and at present time nothing is avail. but they say to keep calling back, which I will do. I wonder also, if we miss the flight will they put us on standby? Very new to dealing with such problems, and then add the fact, that flying gets more difficult every day. And then I also wonder, will my cruise ins. ,which includes the flight, cover any other charges if I just get stuck rebooking something else at the airport. Any clue?

I had a similar problem on a non-cruise trip this past summer. Read your conditions of carriage (contract). There should be a link to it on your receipt from United.

In our case the contract said if they change the flight by more than 2 hours, they would attempt to book you on a different United flight. If they could not do that they would try to book you on a different carrier with which they had a business arrangement (like US Air). Unfortunately they don't have arrangements with Southwest.

Also, ask about switching from FLL to MIA. Cruise lines have reasonably priced shuttles to the MIA airport from Port Everglades.

We had an 11:30 AM flight at the end of last cruise and we made it in plenty of time. We told guest relations that we had an early flight, We did our own luggage and quickly got a cab to the airport in FLL with time to spare. BUT i realize that it doesn't always happen like that and we were a little uptight because there was only one flight on the airline we had booked. For us, it turned out OK..

Thank you all. again. I do feel much better at days end. I did actually talk to united three time today to finally get to the point that when all is said and done I might be moved back to the original time slot. that being, because it is a holiday period, there will probably be more flights assigned. Apparently, airlines are simular to the stock world. Shuffel, shift, and change. Also talked to Celebrity, and it seems that they start to recieve luggage via the Valet ar 11:30 so that too might still be an option once on board. I have heard these horror stories before, but not to think it might be me LOL Really wanted to take ALL my stuff on this LONG trip, but will have to wait and see. Such is life. Happy Cruising!

Thank you all. again. I do feel much better at days end. I did actually talk to united three time today to finally get to the point that when all is said and done I might be moved back to the original time slot. that being, because it is a holiday period, there will probably be more flights assigned. Apparently, airlines are simular to the stock world. Shuffel, shift, and change. Also talked to Celebrity, and it seems that they start to recieve luggage via the Valet ar 11:30 so that too might still be an option once on board. I have heard these horror stories before, but not to think it might be me LOL Really wanted to take ALL my stuff on this LONG trip, but will have to wait and see. Such is life. Happy Cruising!

You helped me a long time ago with some issues, so I'll try to return the favor:

I saw in your public profile you live near Mobile, so I assume you're flying FLL-MOB through Houston IAH. There is a 2:30pm from FLL-IAH, a 4 hour layover, connecting to a flight to MOB arriving at 9:29pm. There are seats available, so perhaps you could ask an agent to move you to those flights.

I wouldn't be too optimistic that the old flight time will be back-the holiday schedules are already fixed, so I wouldn't expect any changes.

But I agree with the above that you will have no problems making the 11:19 am flight. FLL is so easy.

ORDMan--Thanks for the tip. I didn't really consider to re check flights from other locations AFTER the change. No, we usually fly out of Gulfport Ms. or Pensa. Fl. as they are ALWAYS way cheaper than Mobile, and are actually going from GPT this time, mainly because we are using tickets for a flight we had previously cancelled with United. I'm guessing if Mob. has the flight you mention there shouldn't be a problem, will check on that. It will still depend on cost, as these tickets (because of prior FEES) are becoming unbelievably expensive. If in fact, they would give me a full refund, I would cancel altogether, but I don't think thats going to happen.

Archived