Clothing ideas for early March

ILoveScotland

I am so excited, because I have decided to do the Round Trip in early March. This cruise has been in the top 5 of my bucket list for almost 20 years, and now I am at last going.

I'd always thought I'd want to do it during the summer in order to have all the daylight, but a friend told me she'd booked the March cruise, and I asked if I could tag along - she said yes. Seeing the beautiful photos here and the videos makes me know this should be a special time of year.

Now, my question: I know it will be cold and possibly snowy. What would those who've done the trip in March recommend in terms of clothing? Snow boots? Heavy coat? Rain coat? Walking shoes - not boots?

Thanks.

As told before I have done this trip last March (and Christmas 2010, and going back next February! ;) ). I can tell you what I bring for clothes and shoes.

For shoes, I have two pairs : one of light Aigle snowboots (a bit like these) and a pair of waterproof hiking shoes. They actually have a somewhat similar use but I like to bring two pairs "just in case". In most towns, even when it is snowy you won't be walking "in the snow" but rather on it (streets are cleaned all the time so the snow is never deep). It might get slippery though (you can find "micro-spikes" that will strap under your shoes - I didn't use them but some people found them useful. You can buy some on board but at Norwegian price!). Occasionnaly on some excursion you can walk ankle-deep in the snow (North Cape, for instance) so the snow boots can be handy.

For clothing, layering is the key. Bring a good windproof and waterproof jacket (I use my sailing jacket) and layers underneath. I usually have a light thermal underwear, a fleece jacket and then my coat. For the legs, long johns under a trouser are usually enough.

Remember to keep all your extremities warm (feet, hands, head, ears...). I have a beanie and a fleece buff, and I use light gloves (a bit like that) under warm ski gloves so that I can remove my gloves to take pictures without freezing my fingers.

Your worst enemy is actully the wind (which can greatly accentuate the feeling of cold) so make sure you are windproof! ;) If it snows too badly you will stay indoor anyway, but when the weather is nice and you want to be outside you have to be ready for the wind.

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed to know. I don't own any snow boots but will buy some and probably some other kind of cold weather hiking boot. Since I won't be using them much here at home because I've just moved to the North Carolina coast where the winters are very mild I'll probably buy inexpensive boots.

I have winter clothes since my previous home was in the mountains of NC, but taking some thermal underwear is something I hadn't considered. I'll buy that, too.

I'm going to pass this on to my friend who's going to be my roommate.

Beth

As I said in an other discussion it shouldn't be that cold anyway (expect arouns 30-40 ° F, unless the winter is exceptionnaly cold). Most of the Norwegian coast (except around Kirkenes) is under the influence of Gulf Stream which will keep the temperature "reasonable" even above the Arctic Circle.

Have you decided on a date (and a ship)?

As I said in an other discussion it shouldn't be that cold anyway (expect arouns 30-40 ° F, unless the winter is exceptionnaly cold). Most of the Norwegian coast (except around Kirkenes) is under the influence of Gulf Stream which will keep the temperature "reasonable" even above the Arctic Circle.

Have you decided on a date (and a ship)?

This has come about because a CC friend who is also a widow and on another forum for solo cruisers and who is on my upcoming Brilliance cruise posted that she'd booked the Hurtigruten cruise. I asked some questions, and here we are roommates. Since she was already booked I'm using her TA.

I am anxous to meet her in person. Anther widow from that same group will be on the Brilliance, and 8 of us have booked the Presidential Suite on Freedom of the Seas for December 2013. We wanted to cruise together and decided we could go in together in this magnificent suite and each pay about the same that we would pay with an inside cabin as a solo paying the single supplement.

For the Hurtigruten cruise, my friend and I have a package through Vantage Travel that includes a hotel stay the night before and the night after the cruise. The cruise itself leaves Bergen on March 7th returning to Bergen on March 18th. I think the ship will be the Polarys. I do know that Vantage has the entire ship reserved.

I've booked my flights using USAirways dividend miles but with a couple of the partner airlines.

Looks like a great opportunity (both of them, actually. I hope you will find your travel companions friendly and easy to live with. Is it possible to know the name of this other forum for solo cruisers? Is it on this board, or another?).

The MS Polarlys is the ship on which I did my Christmas voyage on 2010. I really enjoyed it. It's very warm and confortable and I really enjoyed the panoramic lounge which is very enjoyable when the weather is not so great (it has floor to ceiling windows so you can enjoy the scenery in complete comfort), and it has great outside decks. I found the food really good. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Beth:

the temperature in Norway is fairly reasonable but keep in mind that the ship is travelling at 15 knots. If you go on deck, you'll experience windchill and the temperature will feel 10 degrees colder. Expect rain or snow. Some sidewalks are bare, others covered in snow or ice. Food is great, you'll have fish and seafood to your heart's delight. You might see the northern lights on five evenings, you need clear skies and to be North of the arctic circle. Landscape goes from beautiful to more beautiful. Sit back and enjoy.

Looks like a great opportunity (both of them, actually. I hope you will find your travel companions friendly and easy to live with. Is it possible to know the name of this other forum for solo cruisers? Is it on this board, or another?).

The MS Polarlys is the ship on which I did my Christmas voyage on 2010. I really enjoyed it. It's very warm and confortable and I really enjoyed the panoramic lounge which is very enjoyable when the weather is not so great (it has floor to ceiling windows so you can enjoy the scenery in complete comfort), and it has great outside decks. I found the food really good. I'm sure you will have a great time.

E-mail me at bdglass1940 at yahoo dot com, tell me a little about yourself, and I'll tell you about the group of friends and why it's not appropriate to do so here.

Beth

• 2 weeks later...

I've been busy shopping since my last post.

I now have snow boots that are very comfortable and not heavy. They will even double as rain boots here where I live. I was about to order other boots and remembered I have some.

I have thermal underwear, a quilted down vest that I can wear here as well on mild winter days, socks for the snow boots, one pair of ski/snow pants and one new pullover sweater. I need to look at the gloves I have to see if I can wear them with liners.

Since I now live in an area that has relatively mild winters I'm buying the least expensive of all this that I can. Plus, I do most of my shopping online going through the USAirways website. It's amazing how many airmiles I accumulate that way.

So, now I can concentrate on what I need for two nights in New York, 8 nights at sea followed by 2 nights in Puerto Rico - all just two weeks away!

Archived