What do you do when your flight doesn't leave until 5pm

tulipcityfamily

Booked our return flight out of FLL, but it's not until 5pm. We are cruising on the Carnival Freedom, so the airport is real close. What excusions does Carnival offer when your flight leaves later in the day? Four years ago we took a tour to the Everglades, which the kids loved, but I really don't want to do this again. Any ideas?

I'm not sure what specifically is offered for your embarkation port on your cruise, but there are usually at least a couple for embarkation ports. They often include an airport drop-off. On the Carnival website, go to "manage my booking" and check the shore excursions listed for that port. Check the excursion times carefully, to ensure it works with your flight schedule. Good luck!:)

Sorry, I cant really recommend any excursions, but I do recommend doing one. Did you check out the debarking excursions from Carnival? You have done one before, so understand not wanting to repeat, but there must be more that that. Personally I would prefer to book a day of debarkation tour with the cruise line, and you keep your luggage with you till you get to airport. Or, if you are braver than me, and dont mind driving in unfamiliar territory, I would suggest renting a car and spending the hours exploring the things and areas that interest you and family. I just would hate to hang out at the airport all day. Airports are not very entertaining these days IMHO.

Its tough after debarkation to just "hang" because you are usually stuck with your luggage. What I have done when I had a late flight is to boogie to the airport check my luggage and investigate whether your tickets can be honored on an earlier flight...its amazing how many times we have gotten home before we were even scheduled to leave. If your a family just don't plan on sitting together if you do get a bump up in flight time.

If no planes out at least your rid of your luggage....so then check on a rental car. For about $35 and a tank of gas you can "see" the city, check out the beach, go to a mall, see a movie, have lunch and enjoy your day.

We've done both of these during mini layovers in Ft. Lauderdale before or after sailing on the Freedom. Loved them both!

http://www.lioncountrysafari.com - Need to rent a car

http://www.junglequeen.com - Can take a taxi from port

We did these activities with 3 grandmothers in 70's, a 11 year old, 8 year old, and 5 year old. Great for all ages!

Check internet for coupons first.

I have been to Ft Lauderdale at least 30 times,

I would rent a car from Thrifty or Dollar at Port Everglades,

they are alot cheaper than the airport, maybe lay on the

beach and have lunch, go shopping and return the car

to the airport about two hours before your flight.

You can pick the car up at Port Everglades and return

it to the airport location.

After our last FLL cruise, we took the CCL Everglades tour. They pick you up at the cruise terminal, put you on a bus, and head for the Everglades. When we got to our destination, we then boarded a large air boat and saw the "sights". When done, we were dropped off at the FLL airport with plenty of time for our flight.

Also, if your airline is included on their list, may I suggest you sign up for luggage express via the cruise line. Then you will only have your carry on bags to lug around.

That's what we did, and it worked out well!

Just a suggestion, of course!;)

Archived