Royal Princess deckplans

Go-Bucks!

We're thinking of sailing on the Royal and have been looking at the deckplans. Plan to book a minisuite or deluxe balcony. Anyone have any opinions about which cabins and balconies look better than others? We prefer midship or aft. Seems like the balconies are very different sizes and some lack privacy from the glass walkway. Just curious what you all think. :D

I'm not sure how anyone cud give advice when the ship has never had a passenger on her.

While it's true that no one - except perhaps those who designed and are building her - could give 100% accurate advice in this regard, many of us have studied the deck plans, pictures of the large builder's model, as well as in-progress construction photos and the CGI videos, and feel we can give some advice. Friends of ours asked for similar advice, as they are planning to join us on our November 2013 voyage on the Royal.

So, with the foregoing disclaimers, I believe I can say the following:

The great majority of the balconies on the sides of the ship are going to be virtually identical and fully covered, similar to those on the Baja, Aloha and Riviera Decks on the current Grand Class ships. The exception, of course, as the OP identified, are those balconies under the Sky Walk on the starboard side and The Sea View Bar on the Port side. The corner "bump out" cabins beneath these venues are clearly not the standard, and are a little larger. As you indicate, I think these cabins (at least on the Sky Walk side) could be somewhat problematic for those seeking privacy on their balcony.

We have always preferred the larger 1/2 covered and 1/2 uncovered Caribe Deck balconies on the Grand Class ships, and were seeking something similar on the Royal. While we cannot be 100% certain, we believe we found this with the aft Deluxe Balcony cabins on Baja and Dolphin decks. Based on the deck plans, the builder's model and the progress photos, this appears to be the configuration. In fact, I pulled a screen grab from the most recent video Princess released - from the background when Mr. Caluri was speaking at the beginning - and believe I have the best evidence yet that our Baja aft cabin will have this type of balcony. Again, I cannot say conclusively, but it looks like a pretty good bet at this point.

As for the other aft cabin balconies, these appear to be of varying sizes (as indicated on the deck plans) and mostly or fully uncovered.

So, that's the best "educated guess" I can give you. And I know there are many others here on CC who have come to similar conclusions. I have some pic's I'd be happy to share if that would help, as well.

Best regards, and happy cruising! :D

Be carefeul also when selecting a balcony. There are many catagories in balconies and deluxe balconies that have obstructed views. When we were booking our cabin, the TA could not understand why we didn't want to go from a balcony with an unobstructed view in a great location to a deluxe balcony with an obstruction in a a poor location because the deluxe balcony was a cheaper price. We picked the cabin we wanted in the place we wanted and marked it NO upgrades. There appear to be many less than desirable areas on the Royal.

If you attempt to book a room at the least expensive balcony price the obstructed view rooms on the Marina deck are offered. Double click on partially obstructed view and this window explaining the view opens. It appears that these rooms have a non-glass balcony railing.

pop_book_title_new.gif

Stateroom Notes

PART OBSTRUCTED VIEW

NON-GLASS BALC RAIL

close.gifClose Window

This is the window that opens for the deluxe balcony DZ category on the Emerald deck E110. I wonder about the DZ balconies on the Marina deck M101-M104. They are facing forward and I wonder about the wind while sailing. Will the balcony be usable? Imagine all the sea days on a transatlantic cruise and not being able to go out there.

pop_book_title_new.gif

Stateroom Notes

PART OBSTRUCTED VIEW

NON-GLASS BALC RAIL/

EXTENDED ANGLED BALC

close.gifClose Window

Thanks so much for all the great tips!! Especially from 5:00_Somewhere! This is just the help we were hoping for.

Robgvic, I knew the CC members would come through. Never doubt that there is someone who can help you when it's needed. ;)

Archived