Leaving in 4 hours and more nervous than excited :(

amocksun

I'm leaving on my second cruise in 4 hours...and I'm having awful anxiety. I'm so scared that one of us will get sick or hurt and have to get air lifted, or worse, not have time to. My anxiety wasn't this bad last time. Does anyone ever feel this way? Can someone help me feel better? This is NOT fun...I just want to enjoy it.

aaahhhh....the joys of anxiety. when i started having great vacations in 1995 my garden-variety anxiety became travel focused. not to reveal too many personal details but i was tested for a broad range of ailments about 3 weeks before our annual great trip. about 5 yrs ago someone asked me if it was just anxiety over really being able to go as the trips were life-renewing for us. could not "live" w/o them. we are theraputic foster parents spending our lives with kids who have been terribly abused and neglected. i was frustrated that i couldn't have figured that out for myself and a lot sooner! the next year i bit the bullet and ignored the awful symptoms that really meant nothing and haven't looked back. i do have evacuation ins but don't even think about usin g it anymore. the brain is a powerful tool...use it to your advantage and have a great trip!

Searoses said it. The brain IS a very powerful tool. It can make you terribly anxious or it can soothe you. CHOOSE to put yourself in a place where you don't believe all of these false messages the brain is sending you. If you firmly and consciously tell yourself you are relaxed and calm, then your brain will begin to send you different messages. It takes practice. Be assured that if there is a medical emergency, the ship's crew will know what to do. They are trained and practiced at this. YOUR job is to learn to calm and soothe yourself and to enjoy your well-deserved vacation. Keep practicing this and it will become easier over time.

Breathe in and out slowly and deeply.

Searoses said it. The brain IS a very powerful tool. It can make you terribly anxious or it can soothe you. CHOOSE to put yourself in a place where you don't believe all of these false messages the brain is sending you. If you firmly and consciously tell yourself you are relaxed and calm, then your brain will begin to send you different messages. It takes practice. Be assured that if there is a medical emergency, the ship's crew will know what to do. They are trained and practiced at this. YOUR job is to learn to calm and soothe yourself and to enjoy your well-deserved vacation. Keep practicing this and it will become easier over time.

Breathe in and out slowly and deeply.

I agree 100%. Tell yourself you and your traveling companions are healthy and fine, and you will all be fine on the cruise. Then stop thinking about it! Do something fun instead and focus on that.

You need this vacation. You deserve this vacation. Time to put your "service above self" motto to the side. You are the one who is to be pampered. You are derseving of enjoymnet. Now inhale and exhale as deeply as you can for 10 to 15 times. While you are inhaling and exhaling concreate only on inhale and the exhale. When you stop the exercise sit or lay down for 5 minutes and just let your mind wander (maybe to an imagary spring or country side where you are the only one.) If you start to make "lists" in your mind, stop and estart the inhale and exhale excerise then repeat the mind wandering 5 mins until you are able to complete it. Time to take care of your self and rejuvate your mind and heart. Enjoy!!!!!

I'm leaving on my second cruise in 4 hours...and I'm having awful anxiety. I'm so scared that one of us will get sick or hurt and have to get air lifted, or worse, not have time to. My anxiety wasn't this bad last time. Does anyone ever feel this way? Can someone help me feel better? This is NOT fun...I just want to enjoy it.

Why don't we make a deal.

Your friends here on cruise critic, will do the worrying, and you on the other hand have the time of your life!!!

When you get back tell us the fun you had:)

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

Archived