Insurance Coverage

jhenry1

We have some coverage on our Chase Sapphire Platinum card. My question is has anyone made a claim on their coverage on their chase card? The amount we are covered for will not pay all of our cost but is it worth it to deduct that from the cost and purchase insurance for the balance? I need help? It does cover trip cancellation due to illness, death and etc up to $5000 for myself and $500 for my husband. that means I would buy 10,000 dollars less in travel insurance and that is a substantial savings.

any thoughts on this or does anyone out there have this card and have done this.

kandy

We have some coverage on our Chase Sapphire Platinum card. My question is has anyone made a claim on their coverage on their chase card? The amount we are covered for will not pay all of our cost but is it worth it to deduct that from the cost and purchase insurance for the balance? I need help? It does cover trip cancellation due to illness, death and etc up to $5000 for myself and $500 for my husband. that means I would buy 10,000 dollars less in travel insurance and that is a substantial savings.

any thoughts on this or does anyone out there have this card and have done this.

kandy

I have no experience with that card but here's one thing to think about if you should buy a plan to supplement the cancellation coverage that you already have on the card.

If you need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions some insurers such as Travel Guard require you to insure 100% of your pre-paid, non-refundable trip costs. So if you buy one of those plans and need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions and only insure the part of your trip costs not already covered by your credit card you'll be out of luck.

With other insurers it doesn't matter how much of your trip cost you insure. But if you do need the pre-ex coverage be sure you know what their requirements are to get that coverage.

kandy

You also need to look at the coverage for the Chase card to make sure it meets your needs. My DH and I bought plane tickets using this card for ourselves and 2 14YO friends. It became apparent that the grandmother of one of our guests was likely to die right before our trip. The Chase Sapphire has no coverage for such an event as it limits coverage to the cardholder and family, not the cardholder's traveling companions, even if the tickets were purchased with the card. Most commercial insurance will cover things that might happen to a traveling companion. -- Suzanne

Credit-card coverage is ok for things like baggage. For higher-dollar coverage, such as cancellation? It's worth about what it costs you... What if somebody other than the policyholder is sick or dead? How do you get home if you have to leave as soon as you arrive? (A regular policy would cover your extra costs) What about airline problems that prevent you from arriving? Weather? Jury Duty?

Check those exclusions (both with the Chase policy and whatever policy you purchase to supplement it) VERY carefully before deciding to reduce your other policy.

It's certainly your call... are the additional benefits of the additional premium on the other policy worth it to you?

Archived