Traveling with Stepkids - Custodial Parent's Permission

Triplel

My husband and I will be cruising next month (Princess - Southern Caribbean) with my stepkids. Their mom knows and is fine with us taking them. We previously cruised with them in 2008 (Mexico) and had no notarized permission slip, and there were never any questions at all; I think they assumed that they were my kids. We all have passports and the same last name. Is it strictly necessary to obtian a notarized statement from their mom? I don't think it will be a huge issue, but at the same time I don't want to throw a wrench in the works! I would appreciate advise from other's on their experiences with this situation.

You are required to have notarized consent from your stepchildren's mother to take them abroad. While you may not be asked to show it because it is assumed they are your children (same last name), I would get the consent and take it. They can deny you boarding without it. Why risk ruining your vacation over some simple paperwork?

Better to have it and not need it, than need it an not have it.:)

I agree wholeheartedly! We took my kids on a cruise last summer and got the notarized letter from their father. Despite the fact that the kids have a different last name than my husband and me, nobody ever asked for the letter. Nevertheless, I was glad that I had it, just in case. It's really not that difficult to just get the letter signed and notarized, and it is well worth it for the peace of mind.

Yep, take the documents. On our cruise to Alaska in June we took three grandchildren with their parents - no problem there but we also had the son of our DIL. That DS and DIL were not on the cruise and the DIL's son came with the marriage so he had a different last name.

We made sure we were covered head-to-toe with consent forms (travel and medical, signed and notarized by both DIL and the boy's birth father) as well as the normal birth certificates, id, etc.

After all that, the boy had a minor medical problem requiring treatment by the ship's doctor and never was any paperwork requested, nor was anything beyond the birth certificate required at check-in (Note: Our check-in was in Seattle, a different experience from highheel girl's).

Still glad we had them and recommend you do too.

Archived