Change in Taxes/Fees

Hoping you kind folks can explain something to me.

We are currently booked on back-to-back sailings of FOS for next spring. I was on the Royal web site yesterday and noticed that the price for our cabin category (PR) had gone up just slightly for each sailing (less than $50 per person), however, the taxes and fees had gone down considerably from what we were paying ($175 per person, per sailing!). That is a total decrease of $700.00 just for the taxes and fees!

I emailed my TA who will be getting us the reduced cost, but I am curious as to why the taxes and fees alone would change, and why so radically? Its been less than a month since we made our original reservation.

Any clarity you guys can provide is greatly appreciated.

On our last cruise we had a reduction in the cruise insurance, mind you we didn't complain. I need to call my TA this morning and ask why our daughter is linked to our reservation, since she is now moved into our JS. She initially was in the adjoining D-1 but we were able to move her into our JS two months after we booked, and noticed during Online Check in yesterday, that she was still showing up as linked to our Reserv.

Not sure where you're seeing the $175/pp charge, but just checked our May 2012 FOS invoice against our May 2013 FOS invoice, and port fees and taxes went up by $4 - from ~$81/pp to ~$85/pp. I've never seen those fees top $90 on any 7-night RCL cruise, so my guess is the number you're looking at includes PrePaid grats, Insurance, as well as the port fees. Anything you get credited (like OBC or C&A discounts, gift certificates, etc.) lowers that number.

Not sure where you're seeing the $175/pp charge, but just checked our May 2012 FOS invoice against our May 2013 FOS invoice, and port fees and taxes went up by $4 - from ~$81/pp to ~$85/pp. I've never seen those fees top $90 on any 7-night RCL cruise, so my guess is the number you're looking at includes PrePaid grats, Insurance, as well as the port fees. Anything you get credited (like OBC or C&A discounts, gift certificates, etc.) lowers that number.

We have not pre-paid grats or purchased any insurance.

For the first part of our B2B on 04/14 we are currently paying a base fare of $664 plus taxes and fees of $277.73 for a total of $941.73.

For the second leg on 04/21 we are currently paying a base fare of $674 plus taxes and fees of $259.75 for a total of $933.75.

All prices are per person.

We have not pre-paid grats or purchased any insurance.

For the first part of our B2B on 04/14 we are currently paying a base fare of $664 plus taxes and fees of $277.73 for a total of $941.73.

For the second leg on 04/21 we are currently paying a base fare of $674 plus taxes and fees of $259.75 for a total of $933.75.

All prices are per person.

Is this invoice coming from RCL or from your TA?

This is our invoice from RCL for our May, 2013 FOS cruise (two weeks after yours):

Cruise Fare

Vacation Protection Plan

GRATUITIES

Taxes and Fees

When added together, my total fees come to $256.08. I'd go back to the TA and ask for a line item breakdown.

We are paying 207.40 for two of us. But we live in Florida and I think we are paying Florida Sales tax in addition to the port taxes. So its about $45 more than just paying the port taxes.

There should be no sales tax charged, I think some are looking at a TA's price breakdown and not RCI's breakdown, some TA's show some of the non commisionable cruise fare seperatly where as RCI do not. This makes it look like a lower cruise price and a higher tax and fees price.

orville99 and uksimonusa- I think you guys helped me figure this out! The invoice I was referring to came from my TA, so she probably has the fees broken down differently than the Royal web site. That makes sense.

We've been cruising for a number of years now but just started using a TA (whom we love) two years ago, so still learning. Thanks!!

Cruzeluver, our TA probably breaks everything down similiar to yours. She shows at the bottom, under each of our names, Cruise Price, Govt Charges & Fees, & Insurance, so it is broken down what the cost is PP in each column, total for each category then overal total cost of the cruise. Pretty much as orville displayed theirs.

Archived