Car Rentals in Cozumel?

tripletsmommy

Either Isis, or Smart Car rental. $45.00 for the day... The big rental places will get you for well over $100.00 a day.

The laws are a bit different down there , be careful .. Small accident could cost you a lot of cash..

P.S. If you just want to see the island take the dune buggy tour its a good time;)

Not sure what kind of car you can rent that will fit six?? Be very careful, enough horror stories about being involved in accidents. You can be locked up for a good amount of time while the authorities "investigate". Probably safer to hire a vehicle and driver. Good luck.

Not sure what kind of car you can rent that will fit six?? Be very careful, enough horror stories about being involved in accidents. You can be locked up for a good amount of time while the authorities "investigate". Probably safer to hire a vehicle and driver. Good luck.

These days , I totally agree .

From another thread . For what its worth..;)

"I have been doing a lot of research on if we should rent a vehicle or not in Cozumel Now don't get me wrong the chances of you having an accident may be slim but do I want to take that chance? No! I have been to Cozumel before and agree in the past no crime etc. But from what I can understand Mexico has made a new law that requires you to pay for lost wages to any local that gets hurt in an automobile accident and from what I have read no insurance you take out will cover this new law so you better have plenty of cash on hand and from what I can tell some locals are abusing it. Here is also a link to another cruise forum that I found take a look at at it and make up your own mind. The story about the pastor is true if you don't think so look into it yourself."

I have to agree with the above poster. You need to make sure you take entire insurance coverage from the dealer so that you can walk away, it will cover any scratched dents etc. Most Mexican's are driving without a license let alone insurance.

I have rented cars throughout Mexico for a couple decades as we use to stay there for two to three months at a time.

A couple other comments is to watch your speed limits as there a more corrupt cops through out Mexico and its worse now, they now rental vehicles and they have a scam of pulling you over to charge you with speeding, they will say that they will take your license plate and in order to get it back they will tell you to pick it up the next day at city hall and pay a fine.

You can ask what the amt is and offer to pay him on the spot, which he will most likely agree to.

Either Isis, or Smart Car rental. $45.00 for the day... The big rental places will get you for well over $100.00 a day.

The laws are a bit different down there , be careful .. Small accident could cost you a lot of cash..

P.S. If you just want to see the island take the dune buggy tour its a good time;)

Have been thinking about doing a dune buggy tour, but have hesitated because of the insurance issue. Thinking about using Island Marketing. Do you know if the tour operators provide the type of insurance coverage that covers everything?

Did you go on a dune buggy tour and if so, which one. How was it?

Archived