Anyone done the Horseback Ride & Swim and Dunns River Falls Excursion through Royal?

Kenlorz

We are still trying to figure out what to do in Falmouth, Jamaica when we dock there on the Allure in March. I've heard a million times that everyone should do Dunns River Falls at least once in their life, so we thought we would try that, but we would like to do it in conjunction with another stop. We are thinking about doing the Horseback Ride & Swim with Dunns River Falls excursion directly through RCCL. I think its FY09. Has anyone done this before? What were your thoughts? I know I could book it cheaper through an independent tour operator, but I think we want the reassurance of the boat not leaving without us ;). So, I would really like to know how it is through Royal directly. Thanks in advance for your help!

I've done Dunns twice and both times through RCI. I recommend it. Yes, you might save a little money booking it yourself, or just taking a taxi/bus, but with RCI, they handle all the arrangements. Also, if the ship misses the port or for whatever reason the excursion cannot happen, RCI will cancel it for you and refund your money.

Have not done the horseback, but Dunns is fun. Much different in 2011 than it was in 1994, but still neat.

FYI, it's a LONG drive from Falmouth via bus....

Stay on the ship... Jamaica is a dump!

While I agree Jamaica isn't the most pleasant port in the Caribbean, I think this is a little harsh.

There are some good excursions. We've never had an issue at Dunn's River Falls and have not been harassed too much by the locals. We also did a Dolphin encounter and no issues there either.

If they ask you to buy something, simply say no thank you and keep walking.

We just did the zipline and dunns river falls last month through RC and LOVED it! Anna was our tourguide and crazy Joe was our bus driver and they looked out for us every step of the way. They warned us where vendors would be agressive and how to just keep walking past and not stop and how to handle if you wanted to purchase the dvd, or not at Dunns River Falls.

It was a great experience. We loved the zipline tour and the guides on the zipline were amazing. I'd highly recommend it!

We did the Horseback Ride several years ago when Navigator of The Seas was calling on Ocho Rios. It was a nice leisurely ride through a plantation, then a change of saddles at the beach for a short ride through the ocean. Although the water ride was kind of short, it was real neat to do it anyway.

:D

I agree with VA Beach Cruisers. Stay on the ship! Enjoy the amenities on the ship and don't waste your time! The "falls" is nothing to see but dirty water flowing over dirty rocks. I stayed in Jamaica for 10 days and made the mistake of paying a small fortune to do this excursion. It was a lesson well-learned.

We did the Horseback Ride several years ago when Navigator of The Seas was calling on Ocho Rios. It was a nice leisurely ride through a plantation, then a change of saddles at the beach for a short ride through the ocean. Although the water ride was kind of short, it was real neat to do it anyway.

:D

I have not been to Jamacia, however I agree that a horseback ride in the Caribbean is really cool! My daughter loved her ride in St Kitts and riding a horse in the ocean was a dream come true for her and the highlight of the trip.

Also generally speaking I do recommend booking thru the ship esp when you are doing two things, safer as far as getting back and worth the extra $$ sometimes. Esp in a higher crime island.

Stay on the ship... Jamaica is a dump!

Jamaica is BeAuTiFulL!!!! Yes - the ride to Dunns River is a bit long, but the scenery is amazing; Even my 3 teenaged boys thought so. There are some vendors you pass through after the Dunn's climb, but not nearly as awful as the ones on Labadee!!!! We went back to the ship while being docked at Labadee after about 2 hours. Man made beaches and crude vendors~ we will take Jamaica any day of the week.

Archived