Falmouth: City Map, Walking Tour Map, directions to Club Nazz

dmwnc1959

Note that after you walk along the waterfront you will get to a locked gate just before Fort Balcarres and have to turn around and go back to the port. You cannot get into town this way unless you are on one of the official guided tours.

I'm glad I caught this post. Based on the maps I printed earlier we had planned to follow the walking tour and head to the fort before meeting up with our booked ride to go to Time and Place. Hmmm .... too bad the gate is locked.

I never knew there was a Fort, I had to go back to my pictures to look for it. I think I found it, but if that is it, there is really not much to see.

Something tells me that if it was a nice Fort, Jamaica would be using it for tourism for money ;)

Not my best picture, it is a crop. Ill take a better one next month.

DSC07319_zpscfa38839.png

DSC07265_zps80e25ad4.png

Edited by gambee

I'm glad I caught this post. Based on the maps I printed earlier we had planned to follow the walking tour and head to the fort before meeting up with our booked ride to go to Time and Place. Hmmm .... too bad the gate is locked.

We actually walked to the fort area on city streets, not following the path (we were planning to take the path back when we found the locked gates).

Fort Balcarres is on the property of the Falmouth All Age School. All that is left of the fort is a foundation, the old powder storage building, and a cannon. A security guard at the school offered to give us a tour in exchange for a donation to the school (and a small donation to him). There were a few people from the ship who were volunteering at the school doing construction work and repairs.

P1070228_zps6c0f21ef.jpg

The school

P1070232_zps4f4fd1c2.jpg

The cannon and fort remains. The tree here was knocked down during Hurricane Ivan but has managed to survive. It is something of a mascot for the school.

P1070233_zps9dba4667.jpg

The gunpowder storage building

P1070237_zps4044b0a5.jpg

The view from the cannon of a beach with fishing boats

P1070238_zps047f040b.jpg

Some of the construction at the school

P1070243_zpsd2efed9a.jpg

The view back towards the ship

• 11 months later...

Hi dmwnc1959: I'm leaving tomorrow for New Orleans, then sailing out on the Serenade of the Seas on Saturday. I've been search for a Falmouth Jamaica walking tour and all I've been able to find were sites where I could purchase tours. Finally, I googled using the term "self-guided" in my search and up popped your post with the links to your Flickr images of the maps you picked up in port. This was EXACTLY the type of thing that I have been looking for, so I just wanted to say a very big THANK YOU for that post!