Unuasual and off the beaten path things to see in Cozumel or progresso

jtwanabe

Progresso is so small you can take the $3 double deck bus and circle most of the entire town, not that much to see. Not unusual though.

I liked going to Merida and now there is a bus for $25 offering it. The peacefull town and proud of it.. I liked the town and hanging around the square mostly. Its huge, 8 million I believe and at least there are people who speak english. Progresso I have trouble finding my way around and no one I found last time (again) speaks english. One time I was there looking for nail clippers, forgot mine and got a hangnail.. it took forever to find someone who could tell me where the drug store was.

Our first trip to Cozumel, we took tour of the east side of the island, and went to a wondeful beach - Playa Bonita. Out of the way, quiet, and served the best salsa ever. It's rustic and beautiful.

CRUISE_2010230-1.jpg

CRUISE_2010132.jpg

I did the around the island tour and saw the main town where they showed the houses they put teachers in and how they do the mortages and do it for the homeless so there are no homeless on this privately owned island.

We saw the above side of cozumel .. they dont recommend people go here because of rip tides.. very very quiet except on weekends. No lifeguards of course. I dont think most people even know there is a ocean side to the island as above. Good pictures.

I did the around the island tour and saw the main town where they showed the houses they put teachers in and how they do the mortages and do it for the homeless so there are no homeless on this privately owned island.

We saw the above side of cozumel .. they dont recommend people go here because of rip tides.. very very quiet except on weekends. No lifeguards of course. I dont think most people even know there is a ocean side to the island as above. Good pictures.

The surf was pretty rough there that day - but, we did see people snorkeling. I didn't realize Cozumel was a privately owned island - thought it was part of Mexico :)

We were really glad to experience this. We're going to "tourista" heaven - Mr. Sanchos in December.

The surf was pretty rough there that day - but, we did see people snorkeling. I didn't realize Cozumel was a privately owned island - thought it was part of Mexico :)

We were really glad to experience this. We're going to "tourista" heaven - Mr. Sanchos in December.

Its still part of Mexico. They said it is owned by 7 families I think. They really do take care of the people there from what our tour guide said.

Personally, we like to walk back to the cemetary. I know it sounds strange, but even living in south Louisiana and seeing cematarys here, I like theirs better. They actually build little mansions for the dead.

Easy to get to. From Pizza hut it is I think 2 blocks back and 3 blocks to the right. You can't get lost and there is the added bonus of walking by houses in the neighborhood and lots of doors are open so you can have a look inside. If it is after school time there are tons of kids playing in the streets. Lots of cool things to see back there even though it is only a couple of block from the tourist area.

Hardly anyone will speak english in that area so if you want to chat, you should know a smattering of spanish.

Personally, we like to walk back to the cemetary. I know it sounds strange, but even living in south Louisiana and seeing cematarys here, I like theirs better. They actually build little mansions for the dead.

Easy to get to. From Pizza hut it is I think 2 blocks back and 3 blocks to the right. You can't get lost and there is the added bonus of walking by houses in the neighborhood and lots of doors are open so you can have a look inside. If it is after school time there are tons of kids playing in the streets. Lots of cool things to see back there even though it is only a couple of block from the tourist area.

Hardly anyone will speak english in that area so if you want to chat, you should know a smattering of spanish.

Not one bit strange to us.........On our upcoming Halloween cruise plan on visiting cemetery 's at Key West (also Haunted Robert the doll at museum ) and Cozumel cemetery (will be there for All Saints Day of the Dead celebration) Cemetery will be decorated......

Not one bit strange to us.........On our upcoming Halloween cruise plan on visiting cemetery 's at Key West (also Haunted Robert the doll at museum ) and Cozumel cemetery (will be there for All Saints Day of the Dead celebration) Cemetery will be decorated......

We flew down to Coz one year for the celebration. Trust me, midnight is the time to be there. One of the best times I have ever had in my life.

And to visit the church in the square. People standing outside in their finest because there was not an inch of space left inside. After church there is a party on the square with music and dancing.

So much to see that you do not get on a cruise. Pizza Hut seems to be the meeting spot. The people start pouring onto the streets the minute the ships pulled out.

Climbing the Lighthouse at the South part of the Island

lighthouseonCozomelIslandMx.jpg

cozomellighthouse1.jpgIt cost me about 10.00 to get in the park. Its off the beaten path and as long as you get there "early" you can climb to the top without all the hords of people. there isnt much room inside and i can amagine the crowds of people waiting to climb it on a excursion. I rented a Jeep and drove there on my own.

Climbing the Lighthouse at the South part of the Island

It cost me about 10.00 to get in the park. Its off the beaten path and as long as you get there "early" you can climb to the top without all the hords of people. there isnt much room inside and i can amagine the crowds of people waiting to climb it on a excursion. I rented a Jeep and drove there on my own.

Punta Sur on Cozumel is cool!

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/fantasy_c_07/coz1/ps.htm

IMG_9102.JPG

Punta Sur on Cozumel is cool!

We really want to visit Punta Sur 12-21, we will be on the Magic. How long of a taxi ride should we plan for? We have 5 maybe 6 going, our port time is 8am-4pm, ship time of course. Looked for an excursion but didn't see one, we've been to Coz a few times and feel comfortable navigating it on our own but really don't want the hassle of renting a car, would prefer a taxi/driver, any recommendations would be very much appreciated! :D

Archived