Bernards Tours

TSUmom

Those of you that used Bernards tours, how far in advance did you book? Also which tour did you take? We are interested in more sight seeing and beach time than shopping. Thank you in advance for any input.

He has at least two van/buses. The tour we had with him, which was excellent spent about 45 mins at Orient Beach where there are beach bars to sit and maybe 25 or 30 mins at Maho Beach to watch the aircraft come in over the beach.

Bernard books full pretty quickly since he gets good reviews here on CC. We have used him twice. This last September, when we arrived, they were thinking they were putting 15 people in ONE van. When you pay $40 pp for a tour, I did not expect to be piled into one van. I refused that arrangement and suddenly another van appeared and six of us went in that van. We enjoyed our day and our driver was Bernard himself. They have lost of rum punch in their cooler along with ample water, diet coke, sprite, and maybe there were other flavors of soda as well.

Those of you that used Bernards tours, how far in advance did you book? Also which tour did you take? We are interested in more sight seeing and beach time than shopping. Thank you in advance for any input.

On both of our tours the shopping time was only about 30min in Marigot, which was perfect. Gave us a chance to stretch our legs and walk along the waterfront. Pretty area!!

Thank you for all of your input. I went ahead and booked with them. Now on to planning St Thomas:) I live for planning my cruises and daydreaming (while I am at work:eek:)

In St Thomas, I suggest you look at Godfrey Tours. We have been with him and it was excellent.

We just took the tour with Bernards tours on Oct 10. It was great !! the rum punch was flowing and there was also water, beer, and soft drinks available. The tour itself was excellent. We stopped at the Iguana Farm, a place where sea urchins are caught and you could walk out on the sandbar and across the bay if you wanted to. Then it was off to Orient Beach for a brief stop.

Our driver, David was great. He told us all obout the Island and all of the villages that we passed through on both the Dutch and French sides. From there we made our way to Marigot for about an hour of shopping and then on to Maho Beach and the Sunset Beach Bar. We saw an Air France jet land and another take off and actually blow some people off the beach. An American airlines flight was late, so we did not get to see it land. From there we headed back to the ship through vilages that we had not seen before.

We arrived back a the port with about an hour and half to spare. We will do another tour with Bernard when we make it back to St Maarten. If you have never been on one of his tours, you are missing a great experience !!

We just took the tour with Bernards tours on Oct 10. It was great !! the rum punch was flowing and there was also water, beer, and soft drinks available. The tour itself was excellent. We stopped at the Iguana Farm, a place where sea urchins are caught and you could walk out on the sandbar and across the bay if you wanted to. Then it was off to Orient Beach for a brief stop.

Our driver, David was great. He told us all obout the Island and all of the villages that we passed through on both the Dutch and French sides. From there we made our way to Marigot for about an hour of shopping and then on to Maho Beach and the Sunset Beach Bar. We saw an Air France jet land and another take off and actually blow some people off the beach. An American airlines flight was late, so we did not get to see it land. From there we headed back to the ship through vilages that we had not seen before.

We arrived back a the port with about an hour and half to spare. We will do another tour with Bernard when we make it back to St Maarten. If you have never been on one of his tours, you are missing a great experience !!

I just booked with him - we chose tour #2 because none of us in our group wanted to do that much shopping and wanted to spend more time at the beaches. thanks again

Godfrey's tours are conducted in open safari buses. We have used them twice and enjoyed both times. Just want everyone to know, there is no air conditioning and you are riding in an open air bus. Getting onto the bus can be a bit tricky if anyone has mobility issues. Have a great time on St. Thomas.

I have signed up for Bernard's Tour #1 - it indicates that it makes a short stop at "Orient Beach" - is this the "clothing optional" beach? I just want to know before I get there, in case my husband and my 19 year old son's eyes pop outta their heads!!

I have signed up for Bernard's Tour #1 - it indicates that it makes a short stop at "Orient Beach" - is this the "clothing optional" beach? I just want to know before I get there, in case my husband and my 19 year old son's eyes pop outta their heads!!

Yes, Orient Beach is the clothing optional beach - I think that is why my DH wanted tour #2 - it has a longer beach time and less shopping time....:eek:

Yes, Orient Beach is the clothing optional beach - I think that is why my DH wanted tour #2 - it has a longer beach time and less shopping time....:eek:

That's where we will be for a few hours before going to Maho The tour #1 lists this as a photo op ;) I think it just stops at the middle of the beach near the famous sign.

sign.jpg

Warn your husband and sun that there is almost always 50-60 year old male "hanging out" right at the sign. I think he(them) are the unofficial greeters.

That's where we will be for a few hours before going to Maho The tour #1 lists this as a photo op ;) I think it just stops at the middle of the beach near the famous sign.

sign.jpg

Warn your husband and sun that there is almost always 50-60 year old male "hanging out" right at the sign. I think he(them) are the unofficial greeters.

So it sounds like the people on the nude beach don't look like the people on the sign!

The nude portion of the beach is to the left of the place where you come onto the beach. Usually, the sun worshipers are a ways down the beach and you have to stare to be able to see them and some people do. When we were there in September, a topless female bather walked past us on the swimsuit side of the beach. When you are on the French side of St. Maarten, all of the beaches have the topless option but not on the Dutch Side.

Can you believe I posted that Orient Beach sign and CC took it down? However I have seen others posted and they remained. Go figure!!

We only saw 2 nude people and they were pretty old.

You will like Bernard’s Tours. Going for the second time next April.

Laura

The nude portion of the beach is to the left of the place where you come onto the beach. <snip>

If you send friends to the Right on Orient to avoid the Clothing Optional section of the beach, you may end up with some very surprized friends. :)

gary

Archived