Suggestions of logistics visiting one Fort please

shuyak

It is told El Morro will be good for the first timer, and San Cristobal is equally impressive. Would like to visit one of the Fort after docking (@ 3:00 PM) and before meeting @ Plaza de Armas in Old San Juan (@ 4:50 PM) for a privately arranged excursion. Any suggestion of logistics visiting one Fort is appreciated.

It is told El Morro will be good for the first timer, and San Cristobal is equally impressive. Would like to visit one of the Fort after docking (@ 3:00 PM) and before meeting @ Plaza de Armas in Old San Juan (@ 4:50 PM) for a privately arranged excursion. Any suggestion of logistics visiting one Fort is appreciated.

The Plaza is about equidistant from the two forts, so the difference is going to be minimal.

It is a slightly longer walk to El Morro, but the fort is more compact and can be taken in more quickly. The views are also superb. San Cristobal is a bit closer to the pier, also very scenic, but also more sprawling and might take longer to fully appreciate.

I wouldn't say there's a huge difference in either esthetics or logistics.

We don't dock until 3 and the forts close at 6. What we plan to do is to go to San Cristobal first then take the FREE trolley to El Morro!!

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/free-trolley-old-san-juan/

That will save us time and money!:D

CaroleSS: Thank you for the trolley map! Trolley to El Morro then walk back to Plaza de Armas seems to be a good combination. Will save St Cristobal for next time.

I find this map if you are interested:

http://www.travelmaps.com/

Thanks, Lard Greystoke and Colorado Kat.

With less than 2 hours available, should I walk, take trolley, or take taxi? Thanks.

I've never taken the trolley. But, the answer depends on how long you have to wait. Since a moderately-paced walk is only going to be fifteen or twenty minutes, anything but a short wait for the trolley would not save you any time.

I've never taken a taxi, but I suspect that within the limits of Old San Juan it might actually cost you time. It's not exactly highway driving within the city walls.

Google Maps says it it only an 18 minute walk from one to another, but it warns that there are not sidewalks or pedestrian paths. I would suppose that as long as we stay off the main road, we'll be ok. Guess we'll make the determination based upon the availability of the trolley. If it's there, we'll take it, if not, we'll walk.

I've never taken the trolley. But, the answer depends on how long you have to wait. Since a moderately-paced walk is only going to be fifteen or twenty minutes, anything but a short wait for the trolley would not save you any time.

I've never taken a taxi, but I suspect that within the limits of Old San Juan it might actually cost you time. It's not exactly highway driving within the city walls.

I understand the walk from pier to fort is only 2 km but uphill. Walking would be the choice - only that I am not sure how well my asthma can be controlled under heat.:( Better save energy for the Flavor of San Juan later. :)

Nole0202: Thanks about the humidity! I was hit hard this summer for that.

Traveling Library (what a cool name): Good points. Do you know if it is relative flat or uphill from St Cristobalto to Plaza de Armas? Thanks!

Fort San Cristobal to Plaza de Armas is slightly downhill. It is uphill from the Old San Juan Pier to the Fort.

San Cristobal has several levels and some steep steps to the lower levels. It is still worth going to. El Morro has fewer steps but a long walk to the front gate, though taxi's I think can take you right to the entrance.

Thank you for the "cool name" compliment.

Fort San Cristobal to Plaza de Armas is slightly downhill. It is uphill from the Old San Juan Pier to the Fort.

San Cristobal has several levels and some steep steps to the lower levels. It is still worth going to. El Morro has fewer steps but a long walk to the front gate, though taxi's I think can take you right to the entrance.

Thank you for the "cool name" compliment.

Thank you!

Last year we walked and toured both forts in 2 hours. We waited 20 min for a trolley and ended up walking. If you are in decent shape the walk isn't that bad. We were rushed but were glad to see both. We then took our time walking back from El Morro checking out the stores and Christmas lights.

• 1 month later...

We've done both forts, one per visit. It's definitely an uphill trek but well worth it for the views along the way, including the architecture.

Note that they are National Parks so if anyone's a senior citizen and has a National Park admission card, that'll get you and another person in. Or you can pick up your National Park card there, which is what I did. I still have the receipt as a souvenir, too.

S

I have the exact same schedule planned for my first visit to San Juan next March, we are doing the ''Flavors of San Juan'' tour and we have to be at the Plaza de Armas by 5:00pm, thanks for all the info, i wasn't sure that we would have time to visite one fort before the tour but now i know that we can.

cheers!

Archived