What options are available for abandoned passengers?

How do you encrypt with MS Word? and add a password? where can I buy a credit card sized flash drive?

Click the Microsoft Office Button , point to Prepare, and then click Encrypt Document.

In the Encrypt Document dialog box, in the Password box, type a password, and then click OK.

You can type up to 255 characters. By default, this feature uses AES 128-bit advanced encryption. Encryption is a standard method used to help make your file more secure.

In the Confirm Password dialog box, in the Reenter password box, type the password again, and then click OK.

To save the password, save the file.

You can buy the credit card size flash drive from amazon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The shore time verses ship time could be confusing and there is a variety of other reasons someone might miss the the ship. Although it didn't happen to me it easily could have once in Venezuela when I got quite sick and it took us longer than expected to return to the ship. Maybe it shouldn't be assumed that it's just more "drunks" being left behind.

I have all our important documents scanned and saved onto a credit card size flash drive, it fits in the same plastic pouch my sea pass card is kept in so I have it where ever I go.

I have on it:

Passport

Birth Certificate

State Drivers License

Travel Insurance

Health Insurance Card

Copy of Credit Cards

Travel Papers,

Flight tickets

Hotel Bookings

List of emergency contacts

Kathleen

Absolutely BRILLIANT!:)

Click the Microsoft Office Button , point to Prepare, and then click Encrypt Document.

In the Encrypt Document dialog box, in the Password box, type a password, and then click OK.

You can type up to 255 characters. By default, this feature uses AES 128-bit advanced encryption. Encryption is a standard method used to help make your file more secure.

In the Confirm Password dialog box, in the Reenter password box, type the password again, and then click OK.

To save the password, save the file.

You can buy the credit card size flash drive from amazon

Thank you so very much!! I appreciate the detailed instructions. I will copy and paste them and find a card on amazon. Thanks again!

We were on the Freedom of the Seas this past April. When we were leaving Grand Cayman the captain called out two names to call guest relations. After a while we found out that the couple were not on board. A pilot boat came right up side the ship and pulled away. No one got off the pilot boat. Thought this was extremely strange. It happened again. Then a second pilot boat came by and the couple climbed on board the sip and off we went. About an hour late. The next day we found out that the staff had trouble finding the couples passports and that was the only reason they made it back to the ship. The first pilot boat was there to get their passports and take them back to shore.

The reason they were late, they were looking at the clocks in the stores forgetting we were on ships time NOT island time. During a Q and A the next day, the Captain did tell us that the couple will be getting a very large bill for delaying the ship

Do you really think they were charged? I guess for the pilot boats? I wonder how much. Can you picture the conversation between the couple?????

I really take exception to the word abandon. How much clearer can it be that "on board" is 30 minutes before departure. Although I understand that the unexpected can occur, most incidents are usually people who did not plan sufficient time for return the ship. Why should the many be inconvenienced by the few? Why should the cruise line incur port penalties and surcharges for a few stragglers.

Finally, if you are an international traveller, it would be wise to carry at least three things:

1. Passport or photocopy of passport if the cruiseline is holding it.

2. Credit card

3. Contact information for port agent. This information is always published in the daily newsletter. If a ship is missed they will help the poor unfortunate souls who missed their ship.

bought a credit card sized flash drive and then I scanned everything that I wanted to have on it. I encrypted it in MS Word and added password protection to the files as well.

You seriously think that encryption by MS Word and PW protection on a thumb drive will protect you? Your idea is interesting... at a minimum I would use purpose built software with at least 128 bit encryption.

No all the files are encrypted and passworded... so not a stolen identity waiting to happen.

I encrypted it in MS Word and added password protection to the files as well.

There are certain times on each trip when those passwords will be right with those files. Unless you're going to tell me your memorized them.

The thing about 255 character passwords? You have to take them with you. I wasn't just saying on shore excursions or in port. You will have them together at some point and if they get lost together... your entire life is in one spot.

Your cool with that? Sweet. Good for you.

The really fun thing is that someone's probably going to do it and think "encryption" means 12345 or password1 or just skip that part entirely. Obviously, you don't. Hopefully, (faith in humanity) the vast majority won't, but someone will.

Somebody may know the answer to this, but I'm repeating what I think I read on here once. I think somebody said that once the ship leaves the dock, (hoisted all the lines and such) the cruiseline is "charged" to dock again.....So I'm guessing once they're "away" from the dock is when they would have to pay again if they came back. That might be why they are somewhat willing to meet a pilot boat, but not come back to get somebody

Anybody got any insight into this?

They better have the cash to pay the pilot boat. They won't take you out for free.

You seriously think that encryption by MS Word and PW protection on a thumb drive will protect you? Your idea is interesting... at a minimum I would use purpose built software with at least 128 bit encryption.

Yes I seriously think it will protect me. MS Word uses 128 bit encryption and you don't have to have passwords that are 255 letters long. A good mix of letters and numbers works very well. I guard the flash drive as I would my passport or any other important document. As for remembering the passwords that is what I do. I do not write down passwords. You may think it is a stupid thing to use but I don't and there have been many people who like me think it is a option for them to be able to have copies available if they were needed. It is no riskier than carrying the originals with you.

Back in the 90's I witnessed a pilot boat carrying passengers who missed the ship. The ship slowed down to almost a stop and the pilot boat pulled up along side and 2 passengers climbed aboard, they same way the pilot climbs aboard when reaching a port, and the way Customs climbs aboard today. Don't know how much they had to pay for this, but I'm sure there was a charge of some sort. Do they still do this, I wonder? Perhaps not cause it seems a little dangerous for a novice.

Yes, I've seen them do this. Both last month from the Oasis and a few years ago on the Mariner. All aboard, means all aboard..

Another way to encrypt your documents is through Adobe Acrobat Professional (if you have it). Adobe Acrobat Pro, will also let you add any other documents such as PDF, MS Words, Excel. JPG, .txt etc... to a single Adobe Acrobat PDF file and encrypt it with password.

Just thought of another idea for the US Department of State issuing the passport to come up with a Passport micro chip which can be inject in your body and can be scan by a scanner. In that way you don't have to worry about bringing passport with you. :D:D

I'm sure 'abandon' was a poor choice of word and the OP realises passengers miss the ship and aren't abandoned.

I like CC and these forums but half of posts are taken up contradicting people or picking people up on words, grammar and spelling. It gets rather tedious !!!!!!

Yes but in this case it's an important distinction. People just seeing the subject line may get a bad impression of RCCL. It may also come up in a search. In fact it's probably slander and RCCL could take legal action if they wanted to.

And for the grammar, it's quite apparent that when it comes to the apostrophe most people don't know its proper use. How hard is it to remember that it's ONLY means "it is?" Or that a plural doesn't take an apostrophe? Even my 10 year old knows that.

It's hard to resist sometime correcting people especially when they're going on about how smart they are. Although I think I have, until now. But I was provoked I tell you!

I have all our important documents scanned and saved onto a credit card size flash drive, it fits in the same plastic pouch my sea pass card is kept in so I have it where ever I go.

I have on it:

Passport

Birth Certificate

State Drivers License

Travel Insurance

Health Insurance Card

Copy of Credit Cards

Travel Papers,

Flight tickets

Hotel Bookings

List of emergency contacts

Kathleen

Wonder if you could take pictures with your IPhone, a little easier to display immediately, but a little harder to carry. :)

Just thought of another idea for the US Department of State issuing the passport to come up with a Passport micro chip which can be inject in your body and can be scan by a scanner. In that way you don't have to worry about bringing passport with you. :D:D

ewww - shudder... that's a scary thought. :eek::confused:

Archived