Land touring with a 4 yo

emeltee

I'm in the midst of planning a trip for me, DH, DD1 8, DD2 4, brother and my parents. I think we're shooting for a SB trip on Princess in June or July.

I'd like to spend some time touring before the cruise, but don't know what would be a appropriate for a 4 yo. She is pretty active, so sitting for long periods of time isn't in the cards for us. Would love to do Denali - but how many days would we need to reserve for it, and is it appropriate for an active preschooler?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Since you have specifically asked, no, Denali Park really is NOT recommended for an activie preschooler. In my opinion, the only reason to go there is to get INTO the park. This requires a long bus ride. With your "group" however, you could alter entries and plan less confined activites for the preschooler. You need to consider at least 2 overnights.

You need to be reality based if you are also considering a Kenai Fjords boat tour. This is a top scenic and wildlife opportunity, but again, a confined space with no way out, and inappropriate for a disruptive child.

IF you are willing to exit a shuttle bus, access into the park, could be possible, perhaps?

So is it possible if we do it ourselves? Or should I just wait til my kids are a bit older.

My brother wants to do some land touring, so if Denali is not recommended for my own kids, he could possibly take my parents and my family would do something else and we'll just meet up for the cruise.

Any recs on what would be good to see/do for young family?

I would fly into Anchorage and rent a van or car. I think a 4 year old could handle the inland touring in a car or van. You could stop and walk around if the kids get restless. And once at Denali, there is the kennel dog demonstration and the visitor center to help keep the child entertained. Bring or buy coloring books/crayons, other things they like to play with. Those that wanted to could do the shuttle or TWT. With so many people going, I'm sure someone would be available to stay with the child, switching off babysitting duties so the same person wouldn't always miss the activities. And just being in the woodland setting is enough for some folks.

You just have to plan activities around your family. I wouldn't recommend any organized tours for the children. As has been mentioned, you are stuck on the bus or boat for the duration, and it could be frustrating with a fussy child.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise.

The shuttle to Eielson Visitor Center which is the minimum ride to take, is about 4 hrs each way. It stops every 90 minutes for a bathroom break, but from what you've described, it doesn't sound like a good fit for an active 4 yr old. As BQ suggested, if you take your daughter on the bus, you'd have to be willing to hop off if she acts up, walk along the road for a bit until the next bus comes along with 2 available seats.

If you can afford the time, one option would be for EVERYONE to go to Denali, but plan on 2 days of bus trips into the park with the parents taking turns ... one parent goes one day while the other stays behind with the kids, then you switch. To entertain the kids, take a shuttle to the free sled dog demo then walk the trail back to the entrance, pick up free Jr Ranger kits to work on, enjoy exhibits at the Visitor Center, take the free courtesy shuttle to Savage River at Mile 15 ( 1 hr each way) then follow a maintained trail along the river. Usually you see marmots and rabbits here, occassionally caribou. Look at the Park's magazine, Summer Alpenglow for info on sled dogs, trails, exhibits, etc.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/newspaper.htm

http://www.nps.gov/dena/forkids/index.htm

BTW, it's a 5 hr drive from Anchorage to Denali. So your brother and parents would need 3 days/2 nites ... a day to drive there, a day for a shuttle into the park, and a day to drive back.

If you don't have enough time for 2 full days at the park, another option would be to split up and go in different directions. The kids could go south to the Girdwood area for 2 nites and enjoy the Wildlife Conservation Park, gold panning, the boardwalk at Potters Marsh, an ice worm safari at Beggich Boggs Visitor Center, hikes, or the $29 glacier cruise Portage Lake. Other stops outlined in this link: http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm There are B&B's around Girdwood or the Alyeska Resort, or if you drive a little further some nice cabins at Summit Lake Lodge. Good luck !

Archived