P.O Oceana Advice

dothon21

I use TravelEeze which is similar to Stugeron but comes in chewable pastilles.

Our bay crossign on Oceana this spring was horrendous. Two tablets per day kept me from being sick.

Watching the horizon is OK but the difficulty is finding a place on the ship where you can see the horizon and not be subject to the violent movements.

I found spending a quiet day reading in Le club worked for me. Anywhere near the middle of the ship is best. Think of a seesaw, the middle does not move as much as the ends!

I have crossed the bay 8 times now and have experienced one storm and two 'lumpy' crossings, the rest were OK.

Don't worry :)

were is the best place to be on ship when crossing the bay and what todo if ill

any advice welcome for first time cruiser

Advice:-

1. Stop worrying.

2. We have crossed the bay 30+ times at all times of year, with only 2 bad and 4 lumpy crossings.

3. If you have sailed before and know you are susceptible then take precautions. Do not assume you will be ill.

4. If all else fails go and see the doc, bend over and £60 later you will be fine.

5. I refer you to point 1.

Gan Canny

Dai

If you really start to feel ill, lie down on your bed in your cabin. Thats the only thing that really works for me along with od-ing on the sturgeon!!

We have crossed the bay many times now and I have to say its been bad more than good - but I always think its a bit like childbirth - you forget it or else you wouldn't go through it again!! lol!!

If you really start to feel ill, lie down on your bed in your cabin. Thats the only thing that really works for me along with od-ing on the sturgeon!!

We have crossed the bay many times now and I have to say its been bad more than good - but I always think its a bit like childbirth - you forget it or else you wouldn't go through it again!! lol!!

I forgot to say above, I quite like a bit of bumpy:) you just do not get enough for me:rolleyes:

Gan Canny

Dai

I think rough seas are a bit relative. What one person considers rough, another person may think is just a little bit of movement, and some people's stomachs are stronger than others. So it is difficult to generalise. We crossed the B of B on Oceana in April, in a force 10 or 11, and spent most of the morning in the Starlights watching War Horse, and although it was a bit bumpy, I would not consider it as being rough. At lunch in Plaza, there was a great lurch which sent crockery & food sliding all over the floor. The staff just cleared it all up and carried on.

Brian

Like you we were very worried about crossing the BoB and so for our first 2 cruises we travelled by train to Venice and Barcelona for the start of our cruise as I don't fly. However we decided that we couldn't go on like that so bit the bullet and booked a P&O cruise to the Canaries. Unfortunately, it was rough but we took precautions mainly by taking Sea-Legs (Bonine) tablets the night before we set sail and then every night throughout the cruise and also had ginger ale in the cabin - just in case. We did have a rough crossing but I'll be honest we were absolutely fine and I think you will be surprised how well the ship moves even in strong winds. It's not at all like a ferry crossing. The bigger the ship the more stable it feels in general

I think the most tempting place to be is in your bed and I had some rough crossings to Harwich on North Sea Ferries when that is what I did, but scientifically you should sit on deck if you can and keep your eye on the horizon. I do think you can see the waves against the portholes on the lower decks so if you're inside you're best a bit higher up - above Deck 7 at least

To reassure you, we have crossed the Bay a number of times since and the Atlantic too and the vast majority of people on the ship are absolutely fine even on the odd occasion the winds are stronger

Archived