While at the Denali lodges

califgary

We will be on a cruisetour visiting Talkeetna Denali and Copper River - my question is we are doing the Tundra Tour (all day) in Denali, but I wonder if at the other lodges are there hiking trails etc that you can do without signing up for an official tour? We'd like to explore on our own just wonder if these lodges are close enough to some areas where we can just go on our own......

Any info much appreciated!

thanks

We will be on a cruisetour visiting Talkeetna Denali and Copper River - my question is we are doing the Tundra Tour (all day) in Denali, but I wonder if at the other lodges are there hiking trails etc that you can do without signing up for an official tour? We'd like to explore on our own just wonder if these lodges are close enough to some areas where we can just go on our own......

Any info much appreciated!

thanks

Not sure how long you're staying at Denali but there are hiking trails near the park entrance and visitors center. There is a bus that runs between the Princess Lodge and the visitors center (at least that was the case three years ago).

Here is a link:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/dayhiking.htm

If you are staying multiple days, you might want to go to the visitor center and hike some short or longer hikes from there. Short hike is Horseshoe Lake and for a more strenuous hike, try Mt. Healy. Denali does not have any real trails except by the visitor centers. Every day there are Discovery "Disco" Hikes led by a park ranger and they have various levels of difficulty and length. Generally about 4 hours or so. You sign up 1-2 days in advance at the visitor center and the numbers are limited. I think less than 10 people per group. Then you take the bus to the designated starting point. You will hike in the park without trails. We were in Denali 10 days and it was the highlight of our trip. These hikes are free. Highly recommend checking this out if you have the time.

"Other lodges", is referenced in the question. Sorry, neither of these lodges, has much worthwhile around the lodge areas. They both can be "walked" around but you'll be done in an hour. They are both isolated and require either Princess tours or Princess shuttle buses for other activities. Why did you choose them? I would suggest you consider that question, and figure out how you wish to best occupy your time. Each has excellent touring activities available and many highlights. Your problem is you don't have a car.

Archived