Laundry Package

HMAN

I read on another post about a prepaid laundry package? I'll be on the Zuiderdam Nov 12th with my wife and 9month old daughter and I want to know if anybody knows if it exists and how much it costs and does it inlcude dry cleaning?

Thanks in advance.

Harry

On our recent Ft. Lauderdale to Rome cruise on Westerdam we purchased the unlimited laundry package for $95. This was for a 15-day cruise. I believe the price for the unlimited package varies with the length of the cruise. It does not include dry cleaning. If you get your laundry to your room steward by 9 AM it will be returned by the evening of the next day. Shirts and trousers, etc. are returned ironed and on hangers. Other items are returned folded.

Please help with this question on dry cleaning, please! I was planning on just having my formal gowns dry cleaned and pressed on the ship as they are all silk and will probably wrinkle in transport from Dallas to Venice.

How expensive is this going to be and will they do a good job? Is this a pipe dream? I could have then cleaned here, but would have to have them pressed on the ship anyway...

Anyone done this?

When I was on the Zuiderdam in spring of 2004 they would wash everything you could stuff in the supplied bag for $12. Do they still offer this?

Yes the $12 Laundry By The Bag is still there. :) Not sure about dry cleaning but the Zuiderdam offers unlimited pressing for the entire cruise for $30. Hope this helps.

We just got off the Ryndam Sunday and they were no longer offering the $12 per bag for laundry. We paid $45 per week for unlimited laundry services. Self service laundry was $2 to wash and $1 to dry.

-Vickie

• 1 month later...

Just a question about the 'unlimited laundry' package. DH and I are booking a 21-day panama canal cruise on the Zuiderdam for next year. I don't think I could pack enough clothes to last the whole trip, so laundry has to be done. I understand the cost varies with the length of the cruise. $95 was quote for a 15-day cruise. Was this cost per person or for the stateroom? Thanks.

I have found that the quality of the pressing and laundry is fine. Also that the prices are likely LESS than on shore unless one lives in a high cost city (e.g. NYC, San Francisco)

On cruises that run longer than about 10 days I always send my tux and other jacket/suit to the dry cleaners. It doesn't cost THAT much more than on land, and it always helps. Usually the suit is wrinkled and in need of cleaning by then. Especially if I've done any dancing or sweating.

Please help with this question on dry cleaning, please! I was planning on just having my formal gowns dry cleaned and pressed on the ship as they are all silk and will probably wrinkle in transport from Dallas to Venice.

How expensive is this going to be and will they do a good job? Is this a pipe dream? I could have then cleaned here, but would have to have them pressed on the ship anyway...

Anyone done this?

Well, having silk dry cleaned here is more expensive than for other fabrics.

I have several silk outfits (not elaborate gowns) and find that they travel well when you use lots of the cleaners thin plastic covers - I hang a couple of bags on a hanger and then the dress, then cover with another couple of bags, carefully remove the hanger and lay the whole thing on a flat surface,smooth out any creases, fold carefully and roll the garment. In the cabin unroll, shake out and hang up - by the night you need the garment it will be pristine. I tried it at home first leaving a garment packed and rolled for several days - it came out fine and works for other fabrics too.

I can not remember if it was HAL or Princess, I am pretty sure it was HAL, but at one time there were two prices on dry cleaning. one day or two day. The two day was 1/2 price.

One of our table mates who did 2-3 cruises a year would bring her formal wear onboard dirty from the last cruise and sent it out the minute she unpacked and did the two day service. She said it was cheaper than at home and all her formal dresses never had wrinkles from the trip to the ship..

The laundry package sounds like a good deal. Do I just go to the front desk on the first day to arrange this?

Thanks -

cindy

Either that or ask your room steward about it. Apparently there is a cut off date to sign up for this too...6pm on your second day of the cruise. This is according to the print material I obtained on my March cruise.

Was on the Rotterdam 10 from Venice to Rome and the unlimited was $70 but he dry cleaning is very reasonable. We only packed for 6 days as we spent 3 days in Venice before the cruise and 3 in Rome after so we sent our clothes immediatley the first day and then turned clothes in each day and we had plenty for the 16 days! :p

Thanks for the info. We'll be on the Rotterdam for 15 days and have pre- and post-cruise stays so there will be a fair amount of laundry I'll want to have done on the ship. On the last cruise, the room steward was new and this was his first time away from home and family. He was barely able to clean the room let alone know about the laundry. I only knew about the infamous 'launder all the clothes you can pack into it for $12' laundry bag because of the information provided by all of the kind people on this board.

Thanks again -

cindy

With all the questions around about laundry packages and the different answers people have given, I wrote to HAL and got this reply:

"Unlimited "laundry and pressing" packages are available

7-day sailing $ 45 per person

10-day sailing $ 70 per person

14-16 day sailing $ 95 per person

17-21 day sailing $120 per person

There is also an unlimited "pressing only" package for $30 per person for any length of itinerary. For guests in full Suites (category "SC") and the Penthouse Suite, full-service laundry is complimentary on all ships.

For $12 per bag, we will wash and dry your clothes. Laundry bags can be found in your closet within your stateroom. This package does not include pressing or

dry cleaning. There is a 48-hour turnaround time for this service and it can only be purchased onboard.

All rates are subject to change or withdrawal without prior notice. Holiday sailings may have different limitations or rates.

Self-service launderettes are situated in various locations onboard our ships, with the exception of our Vista-Class ships (ms Zuiderdam, ms Oosterdam, ms Westerdam). The facility consists of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards. There is a charge for the use of the laundry facilities; irons and ironing boards are provided at no cost. For safety reasons, we ask you to refrain from ironing clothes in your stateroom."

Thought this might help someone else.

Archived