VIP Self Assist COMMON SENSE!!!

LHP

Our last time on the Ecstacy, we were on the same deck as the doors off the boat, and we came out of our room on the last day...or I should say, attempted to come out of our room on the last day, and the hallway was jam packed with 100s of people with barely enough room for them to breath. It looked like the ship was going down and people were clamoring to get off. They had announced numerous times, including about 20 min before this, NOT to go line up in the halls, that they would call people, etc...It appeared it made no difference at all.

Our last time on the Ecstacy, we were on the same deck as the doors off the boat, and we came out of our room on the last day...or I should say, attempted to come out of our room on the last day, and the hallway was jam packed with 100s of people with barely enough room for them to breath. It looked like the ship was going down and people were clamoring to get off. They had announced numerous times, including about 20 min before this, NOT to go line up in the halls, that they would call people, etc...It appeared it made no difference at all.

On the Fantasy in May (2012) we were doing self-assist and were on Empress deck which is the deck that you disembark from. We had a cabin on the side to leave about 3 cabins in from the doors. This deck and cabins were 1 for Self-disembark and it was supposed to be around 7-7:15am. We looked out our door at around 6:45 and could not get out. We sat in the room til the TV told it was time and then had to basically fight our way out of the room into the river of humanity. We did get off within minutes and were waiting on East Bay about 15-20 minutes later for the daughter to pick us up... back in our bed by 8am sleeping off the farewell party (:( alas no more).

Why in the world people want to be the first to get off is beyond me anyway. Just wait awhile, enjoy a cup of tea and get off when the mad rush of all the important people are through.

Because it is a 14-hour drive home and we have obligations to be at work the next morning...

yes, I wish I lived nearer a port (any port).

Because it is a 14-hour drive home and we have obligations to be at work the next morning...

yes, I wish I lived nearer a port (any port).

And all the other people with a 14 hour drive want to get off, too. So it will be a zoo no matter what and all the harping about other stupid people who are in a rush or don't have any common sense really won't make the experience any better.

If you HAVE to get off live with the consequences.

We just got off of the Freedom and had regular disembarking zone1. We also had the same in January on the Freedom. In January we were in a taxi, on the way to pick up our car by 8:30. Fast with no problems at all. This was just as self disembark was started. There was a group that left at 6:30 AM and it pretty much died down to no folks at 7:00 AM. Announced the zone one just before 8:00 AM. This time I could not believe the number of self disembarking people and there must have been half of the ship dragging bags off. By 8:45 they finally called zone 1 but there was still a line waiting to go through custom's. Long story short I will make sure to wait until the last minute to disembark next time.

Why in the world people want to be the first to get off is beyond me anyway. Just wait awhile, enjoy a cup of tea and get off when the mad rush of all the important people are through.

I don't see it either. That rush to get off is like slamming the door shut after the reason for the cruise in the first place, to relax. I savor those last few minutes to relax, let that mad rush go through.

We've never done self-assist because we thought it was for people who had only one piece of luggage the size you could put in the overhead bins in an airplane. I'm certainly glad I've never attempted to do this now since reading all of these horrible experiences.

I'm claustrophobic and even worse when there are crowds of people. I'm the person who gets out of the elevator when more than six people get on with me. Since I book the cruises and the flights, I am in control of when we get off the ship and I always ask for a high number at guest services if we are given a low number for our luggage tags so that we can avoid the crowds.

We've never had to wait in a long customs line like someone else here pointed out. We generally just breeze through after locating our luggage. There are always plenty of taxis outside and we are on our way to the airport in no time.

Maybe I should be thankful for all of those pushing and shoving people who are getting off the ship at the very first opportunity. It makes it quicker for those of us who prefer to wait and avoid the crowds. :rolleyes:

The numbers are for luggage control, where they are placed and when they are available. You can leave anytime after your number is called. No need to get another number. Hopefully this saves you some time on the last day.:)

Many times our luggage is the last in the #1 spot as we are usually one of the last off the boat.

And, if you like to drag along your own luggage I have never seen anyone from any cruise line confiscate luggage that someone wants to schlep around themselves on debarkation, no matter what time it is.

The point of that comment was. When people try to carry to many things at once, they have a tendency to drop stuff every few steps and the whole process holds up the line as they stop and pick things up again.. Its not because they risk confiscation by the cruise line.

What? I don't understand that statement at all.

Have you tryed to use a walker and drag a suitcase at the same time? Cant be done unless you tie the pull out handle around your waist and tow the suitcase behind you like a trailer.

And, if you like to drag along your own luggage I have never seen anyone from any cruise line confiscate luggage that someone wants to schlep around themselves on debarkation, no matter what time it is.

The point of that comment was. When people try to carry to many things at once, they have a tendency to drop stuff every few steps and the whole process holds up the line as they stop and pick things up again.. Its not because they risk confiscation by the cruise line.

Yes, folks who are going to do self assist should pack accordingly.

I pack A LOT but my luggage stacks and straps into an easy traveling set.

Archived