Ventura problems

drewlin

Just noticed on the P&O forum that a major problem has occurred on Ventura - "Currently on Ventura and after a rough passage into the bob one of the deck welds on deck 17 overlooking the Laguna pool has split open leaving about a 2 inch gap across the deck.The area is now taped off."

Not sure how this will affect the mini cruise due to depart tomorrow.

Photo of the split is on http://www.nb-kelly-louise.com

Latest post on P&O forum

"They have now removed the cladding from the underneath and we can see the I beams which support the deck plates all have clean breaks in them. The glazing panel just beneath has suction pads on it just in case. The area around is creaking.

Looks like being a substantial repair to me."

Assuming that this is correct I suspect that the party cruise is now history, and that Ventura may be out of action for some time whilst the full extent and cause of the damage is ascertained and repairs are carried out.

Can anyone confirm where the crack is. Does it actually crack on the physical deck you walk on from one side of the ship to the other or is it just the aluminium frame and surrounding barriers???

If the deck is not damaged then obviously P&O can get it fixed but if it is damaged then there may be safety impications and access to the area for passengers may be restricted. I hope it is not that bad.

Also from what I have read I believe the lower hull and lower decks are made of steel and the upper decks made of aluminium to save weight and keep the weight low and stop the tall ship from tipping over.

Can anyone confirm where the crack is. Does it actually crack on the physical deck you walk on from one side of the ship to the other or is it just the aluminium frame and surrounding barriers???

If the deck is not damaged then obviously P&O can get it fixed but if it is damaged then there may be safety impications and access to the area for passengers may be restricted. I hope it is not that bad.

Also from what I have read I believe the lower hull and lower decks are made of steel and the upper decks made of aluminium to save weight and keep the weight low and stop the tall ship from tipping over.

This from P&O: "Repairs will be made to an aluminium deck on Ventura upon arrival in Southampton today. This has no structural strength or safety implications.

“Ventura will leave Southampton later today as planned for a two night cruise."

– I hope this goes some way to allay everyone's concerns, but please, anyone who's on Ventura for the mini-cruise, keep us updated.

Thanks

Here you go:

19 October 2012 Last updated at 14:24

P&O's Ventura cruise ship undergoes crack repair work

Repairs to a cruise ship are being made in Southampton after a crack appeared in its top deck while it was at sea.

Passengers described the crack on board P&O's Ventura cruise ship as three inches (60mm) wide, stretching the entire width of the aluminium deck.

The company said an inspector from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency is on board and the crack raised no structural strength or safety concerns.

The ship is expected to resume sailing later on a short cruise to Belgium.

Archived