i'm new to this site, can you help me?

tarababy18

hey all,

i'm new to this site and i was just wondering if anyone could help me decode what some of the posts say. what i mean by this is can someone explain what the "codes" mean? i know that CCL is carnival cruise line, but i don't know DH, DD, DS, etc, etc, etc. if you could help that would be great... i don't need all of them, just the basics...

"Dear or Darling" Husband, Daughter, and Son... I've seen both used on message boards... Also, I use SO alot- Significant Other. IMO- In my opinion, IMHO- In my honest opinion.... That should get ya started a bit...

thank you :) i thought that it could be dear or darling, but i wanted to make sure, thanks for the others too, i appreciate it.

i have not booked a cruise yet, i have to wait for my boyfriend to get back from his business trip this week before i can. i'm looking at the Carnival Destiny sailing on August 14th, 2005. This is the first time i'm doing any of this so i'm kinda clueless and so if anyone has info it would be greatly appreciated.

i posted under "Destiny, past, present, future" also

thanks again for the help :)

Tara,

The Destiny was our first cruise and caused the start of our addiction. We took the Destiny to Canada on a 5 day just to see if we would like cruising. Well... it changed our idea of vacations. I hope you like it as much as we did. If you have any specific questions you can email me directly at:

harvey@cruisemementos.com

Ditto to "welcome to the addiction" . I'm on this board everyday. It's insane. I have freinds who are cruising with me. It's great. It's a tremendous source of info, and occassionaly a few gas bags, but what the heck. It's fun. Happy Sailing

Tara - In addition, you might want to know the correct wording for a few things related to cruising.

For instance:

It's a SHIP, not a boat.

It's a CABIN, not a room.

The guy in charge of keeping your cabin perfect is a STEWARD, not a stewart.

There are many more little faux pas, but these tend to be the worse. Welcome to the boards.:)

Don't mean to be picky but it's Worst, not Worse.

Then there's Sign & Sail, it's really Sail & Sign. (Think of it that you have to be Sailing before you can Sign anything).

We were on the Destiny twice now, it's a great ship and the one that started the Bigger is Better revolution back in the late 90's. The Southern Caribbean itinerary is great. You'll love those islands.

Destiny was our first also, started talking about our second while we were still on Her. Incredible ports of call, if you go make sure to book and excursion in Dominica. Its a beautiful rainforest island and a great break from the beaches on the other ports. We are looking forward to booking the liberty and freedom when we get back. Less than a week can't wait!!!!!!!!

Tara - as you can already see, people love to point out the errors in grammar, spelling, etc. Loads of fun that is. Also, if you really want to get things going, try asking questions about any of the following:

Kids on cruises

Formal night attire

Getting appropriate identification the day before the cruise leaves

Cruises v. Other vacations

In all seriousness, most information here is very helpful.

Tara - as you can already see, people love to point out the errors in grammar, spelling, etc. Loads of fun that is. Also, if you really want to get things going, try asking questions about any of the following:

Kids on cruises

Formal night attire

Getting appropriate identification the day before the cruise leaves

Cruises v. Other vacations

In all seriousness, most information here is very helpful.

You can add the following no no's also...

jeans in the dining room, swim diapers in the pool, irons, candles, blenders, roll calls on the wrong board, asking questions without doing a search first.

The list goes on and on but I am addicted anyway:)

Tarababy,

If you enjoy this cruise and eventually want to try another, you can save yourself a lot of money if you can book well in advance. For example, comparing the week you are considering for the same week in 2006, you could save $300 per person if you were booking a year in advance for the cheapest inside cabin.

Some peoples schedule's don't allow them to plan that far ahead, but if yours does it's worth considering.

i just finished typing a whole thing and when i posted it, it failed and didn't post (as far as i know)

anyway, we didn't book it yet because our vacations were switched from june to august, so i decided that since i couldn't decide what location to go to for vacation, i said "hey, why not a cruise?"

i have been reading and reading to the point where i think my eyes are going to dry up and pop out of my head, so if i repeat myself i'm really sorry...

as for formal nights dinning, i remeber wearing skirts every night to dinner because it was the safe way to dress appropriately... casual for casual nights, and dressy enough for fancy nights... but i want to make sure what my boyfriend has to wear... are khakis and polo shirts good for the casual nights and a nice shirt and slacks good for fancy nights? i tried asking the perosn from carnival that called me but she didn't answer my question very well. (( i feel like this is going to be the only part of the trip he's not going to enjoy ))

thanks in advanced for all of the info, i really really appreciate it :)

i just finished typing a whole thing and when i posted it, it failed and didn't post (as far as i know)

anyway, we didn't book it yet because our vacations were switched from june to august, so i decided that since i couldn't decide what location to go to for vacation, i said "hey, why not a cruise?"

i have been reading and reading to the point where i think my eyes are going to dry up and pop out of my head, so if i repeat myself i'm really sorry...

as for formal nights dinning, i remeber wearing skirts every night to dinner because it was the safe way to dress appropriately... casual for casual nights, and dressy enough for fancy nights... but i want to make sure what my boyfriend has to wear... are khakis and polo shirts good for the casual nights and a nice shirt and slacks good for fancy nights? i tried asking the perosn from carnival that called me but she didn't answer my question very well. (( i feel like this is going to be the only part of the trip he's not going to enjoy ))

thanks in advanced for all of the info, i really really appreciate it :)

Tara-

You will find that the dress code on non formal nights on the Destiny is more casual than most ships. Since this ship embarks at 3 different ports per week, shorts are actually allowed in the dining room on San Juan, Barbados, and Aruba nights. Most folks wear nicer shorts or capri outfits. You won't see flip flops and tank tops :) On formal nights, most folks did dress to the "nines" though. From dressy cocktail dresses to long sequin gowns for the ladies and the men really weren't seen without a jacket- most had ties on as well. It's a very dressy affair and alot of fun to set aside that special occasion outfit to go with it all. Don't miss out on all the photo ops too- we spent major $$$ on them, cuz the photographers were really outstanding...

You both will have a blast!

but i want to make sure what my boyfriend has to wear... are khakis and polo shirts good for the casual nights and a nice shirt and slacks good for fancy nights?

Tara - If he adds a jacket and tie for formal nights, he'll be fine. We took our first cruise last year without really knowing what to expect, and we had a great time! (That's why we're going on another this year - and are already looking at 2006...) Don't get too stressed out about clothes - you're on vacation. Take a look at the packing suggestions on the Carnival site (under FAQs). Most importantly, have a great cruise!

Archived