NCL Alaska cruise tour 8/13

kryn

My husband and I are booked on NCL Sun Alaska Cruise Tour 8/1/2013 - 8/12/2013.

We fly into Fairbanks,AL for 2 nights and then 2 nights in Denali and then to Whittier to board NCL Sun on 8/5-12th. We fly home from Vancouver. Has anyone done this cruise tour on NCL? I'm not worried about the cruise part as we have sailed with NCL several times. I'm apprehensive about the land tour part. Any suggestions? Thanks

I didn't realize these tours were new for NCL! We had already decided to have NCL arrange our flights and transfers. This trip is too expensive to try to arrange all that and then worry about making our connections ect.

I didn't realize these tours were new for NCL! We had already decided to have NCL arrange our flights and transfers. This trip is too expensive to try to arrange all that and then worry about making our connections ect.

Frankly, have you looked at other touring options? It is simple to do interior touring on your own, if you look into it, AND are interesting in doing so. Yes, some people just arent'

BUT with your "expensive" comment, you may want to look further into what you booked and be certain it is the best option for you. Do you already know what is available for your touring options in Fairbanks and with Denali Park, are you also aware that what you have booked, is the most costly and least distance in? Flights and transfers are easy. All you need to compare with is an open jaw booking. Unless you have more plans than what is included in a cruisetour for Fairbanks, it is hardly worth going there. Did you book this because you wanted to go to Fairbanks, or only because it was a package and it sounded good? Do you know the details about touring Denali Park- this is usually the highlight of cruisetours. If you don't, then perhaps find out. http://www.nps.gov/dena

An alternative to also consider is independent. I definately suggest flying into Anchorage, especially if you don't have any preference for Fairbanks. Having a car is greatly superior for seeing and doing much more. With what you have currently booked you are missing the Kenai Peninsula, and especially the simple add on of a Prince William Sound boat tour out of Whittier- FAR superior to anything seen from the ship for glaciers.

A final comment, there are excellent purchased coupon books for Alaska discounts. These are best utilized by independent travelers. They offer significant savings.

Actually NCL has been doing the cruise tours on a pre cruise basis in 2012 - they flew you from Anchorage to catch the Jewel in Seattle for the cruise portion. For 2013 they are adding the Sun to provide one way cruises and making the cruise tour like HAL, Princess, RCCL, and others have been doing for years.

Perhaps NCL has learned from the others mistakes - or not.

I would rather cruise Northbound and do the land portion on my own either in a car or RV - I would also use the AKRR to get from Whittier to Anchorage. - The on your own allows you to spend as much time as you want or need in the various hot spots of the interior from Anchorage to Fairbanks. You can also change plans based on weather. I am in the planning stage of such a tour and using the AKRR as the sole transportation it is looking at around 3000.00 pp for 7 days - 8 nights.

I also agree that if possible fly out of Anchorage - most of the flights I looked at fly to Anchorage and then to the lower 48.

Actually NCL has been doing the cruise tours on a pre cruise basis in 2012 - they flew you from Anchorage to catch the Jewel in Seattle for the cruise portion. For 2013 they are adding the Sun to provide one way cruises and making the cruise tour like HAL, Princess, RCCL, and others have been doing for years.

Perhaps NCL has learned from the others mistakes - or not.

I would rather cruise Northbound and do the land portion on my own either in a car or RV - I would also use the AKRR to get from Whittier to Anchorage. - The on your own allows you to spend as much time as you want or need in the various hot spots of the interior from Anchorage to Fairbanks. You can also change plans based on weather. I am in the planning stage of such a tour and using the AKRR as the sole transportation it is looking at around 3000.00 pp for 7 days - 8 nights.

I also agree that if possible fly out of Anchorage - most of the flights I looked at fly to Anchorage and then to the lower 48.

The purchased coupon books come out next month, and in the past have always had Alaska RR discounts. Your above comments about "on your own" references car and RV, but planning with only Alaska RR- for "such a tour". To compare-there are significantly more limitations going by railroad.

Yes BQ I am aware of the options and the pluses and minuses of each - I have only looked at the all train option at this point - and really don't like the limited nature of the schedule. That is why I am still researching, defining and refining my trip. The car and RV plans are next. I really don't know if I will ever get to pull it off but now it is a nice diversion for my spare time.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived