questions about the sail & sign card

tarababy18

ok, i went on a cruise in 2001 (Victory to Canada) so i remember having to have my card with me at all times. now that i'm of legal age to drink, would i have to carry my driver's license or photo id with me in order to buy drinks or is my s&s card enough? also, is it worth buying the soda card if i don't really drink soda. i usually drink either water with lemon, lemonade or fruit punch...

another question, even tho i will have my card on me, should i bring my id or passport off the ship with me? i get nervous when i have to carry such important docs with me, i check for them constantly and worry about losing them. i don't mind just carrying the card because it's one thing i have to keep track of and not 3 or 4.

Yea carry photo id sucks, and you know they swipe your card you picture and DOB is on the screen. they are really strict, at the start with asking but they ease up towards the end. did not buy much booze just wine at dinner.

They take you passport, and store it. you need your sail and sign card a form of picture id and i would suggest a second form of id.

I didn't have to carry my ID. Heck, they never took my card before they served me anyways. Apparently though, after midnight, security changes up and underage kids were able to drink because they didn't check in the bars (as told by a 17 YO).

Tara - Looking at your screen name, I'm wondering if you are 18? Alcohol is not served to anyone under the age of 21...and your S&S card will be coded as to your age if under 21.

About taking your ID off the ship....Yes, you'll be on foreign soil and you should always have proper ID with you. In MX, for example, there will be guards who check ID as well as your S&S card. Put all necessary forms of ID in ONE place and have handy. Definitely your passport needs to go on shore with you. (You might want to make a copy of it and leave in your safe in the cabin.) Some folks take the copy on shore with them, but foreign governments do NOT accept copies - they want the original to look at, should you run into a problem.

.......Nick said they take your passport and store it. I'm assuming he means the purser's office does this? However, that's just not true. They do NOT take your passport if you are a U.S. citizen.

Your sail 'n sign card will be your "pass" that you're old enough to buy alcohol. So, no ID required to prove that.

You can't get on and off the ship without sail 'n sign card, not can you get in and out of your cabin, so that's a must. The CD says take your picture driver's license with you to every port, so that's what we do. We've never taken our passport, but we may live to regret it if we ever miss the ship!

Tara

.......Nick said they take your passport and store it. I'm assuming he means the purser's office does this? However, that's just not true. They do NOT take your passport if you are a U.S. citizen.

Passports for all non-US Citizens must be surrendered at check-in. However, I read on a thread recently that this policy has changed :confused:

Your sail 'n sign card will be your "pass" that you're old enough to buy alcohol. So, no ID required to prove that.

You can't get on and off the ship without sail 'n sign card, not can you get in and out of your cabin, so that's a must. The CD says take your picture driver's license with you to every port, so that's what we do. We've never taken our passport, but we may live to regret it if we ever miss the ship!

I watched security 'card' a group of young looking 20 somethings on the Miracle a few weeks ago. Made them all get their photo ID's out to compare to the S&S card. I'd carry my photo ID everywhere I go, just in case you have problems. Definitely carry it into port, they won't let you back through the port gates without it.

so the general concensus i'm getting here is to take my sail and sign and my license with me when i get off and lock up my passport?

(i'm 21 by the way, the 18 in my sn is the day of my birthday, Jan 18th)

Tara, I don't think anybody said to lock up your passport -just the opposite. Better safe than sorry - take it with you when you go off the ship.;)

true, atleast i have time before the cruise... thanks for the help

Archived