NOLA-flight leaves at 5pm

mitsugirly

When we return from our star cruise in December, our flight doesn't leave until 4:55pm.

I'm just wondering what do you do until that time? I hate the thought of hanging out at the airport for that long with a 4 year old. Every time we've cruises out of either NOLA or Miami, we always keep our bags with us over night and walk off whenever we want (usually by 9-9:30am) and we make it to the airport by 10:30 and have to wait around until our 12 noon-ish flight. I know that our daughter has gotten restless just waiting on that amount of time. If we get there about the same time again this cruise, we are talking about a possible 7 hour wait! :eek:

Any suggestions on what to do? I've heard others mention about hanging out and seeing the sites before their flight, but what do you do with your luggage? :confused:

Rush It Courier Service operates a baggage transfer service at the cruise terminals that will deliver your baggage from the terminal to the airport. This is a perfect service for those that have later flights and want to enjoy the sights of the City after the cruise and before departing for home. A great way to extend the vacation. We are also working on a system to deliver bags from the airport to the cruise terminal on arrival, to allow those early arrivals to start their vacations early. For more information and rates, call (504) 471-0080.

A couple of suggestions, walk to Jackson Sq.or by taxi and take the horse and buggy tour then check out. http://www.auduboninstitute.org/visit/insectarium

http://www.auduboninstitute.org/visit/aquarium#ref=topnav

When we return from our star cruise in December, our flight doesn't leave until 4:55pm.

I'm just wondering what do you do until that time? I hate the thought of hanging out at the airport for that long with a 4 year old. Every time we've cruises out of either NOLA or Miami, we always keep our bags with us over night and walk off whenever we want (usually by 9-9:30am) and we make it to the airport by 10:30 and have to wait around until our 12 noon-ish flight. I know that our daughter has gotten restless just waiting on that amount of time. If we get there about the same time again this cruise, we are talking about a possible 7 hour wait! :eek:

Any suggestions on what to do? I've heard others mention about hanging out and seeing the sites before their flight, but what do you do with your luggage? :confused:

Once you sort out the luggage question (good suggestions above), take your daughter to the Aquarium. It's right next to the port, on the waterfront next to the Algiers Ferry.

Ride the Algiers Ferry. It's free, just walk on. A short wait at the other side, and a free ride back.

Also check out the Mardi Gras Museum. I think it's moved over to near the port? Admission fee, but your daughter will love the floats and costumes.

Finally, a short ride on the waterfront streetcar, which you can also get right at the waterfront stop next to the Aquarium and the Ferry. There is a small charge, but it's a fun ride that's short enough to be interesting for younger kids.

End the day with Beignets at Cafe du Monde. Your daughter will love the sugary french donuts. Bring something along to clean up the mess she'll make!

My kids have been going to, and loving New Orleans, since they were babies. They're both grown now, but still love the city.

we used Rush It Courier Service last week - get off the ship early - they start getting off about 8am - give the luggage service your luggage and they will have it delivered to airport - $25.00 for 4 bags - enjoy your whole day and go to airport about 3 - I'd get a cab at 3 - fabulous service

we used Rush It Courier Service last week - get off the ship early - they start getting off about 8am - give the luggage service your luggage and they will have it delivered to airport - $25.00 for 4 bags - enjoy your whole day and go to airport about 3 - I'd get a cab at 3 - fabulous service

Do you have to get off the ship early? We are usually eating breakfast at 8am and strolling around one last time before getting off. We don't like to be one of those that are rushing to end our vacation. :D

You said give the luggage service your luggage...is this "Rush It Courier Service" like standing out front waiting for you to pull your luggage outside to them? I'm just wondering how it all works.

We would just plan on walking around NOLA and seeing the sites. We don't plan on going to any of the museums or anything we would have to pay money for (other than grabbing a bite to eat). We love just strolling around and riding the street car and taking pictures. Maybe hit the water front. We've been to NOLA before, so nothing new. Plus we ate the Beignets at Cafe du Monde. We didn't think it was all that it was hyped up to be for the huge line we waited in for a place to sit and the price.

Do you have to get off the ship early? We are usually eating breakfast at 8am and strolling around one last time before getting off. We don't like to be one of those that are rushing to end our vacation. :D

You said give the luggage service your luggage...is this "Rush It Courier Service" like standing out front waiting for you to pull your luggage outside to them? I'm just wondering how it all works.

We would just plan on walking around NOLA and seeing the sites. We don't plan on going to any of the museums or anything we would have to pay money for (other than grabbing a bite to eat). We love just strolling around and riding the street car and taking pictures. Maybe hit the water front. We've been to NOLA before, so nothing new. Plus we ate the Beignets at Cafe du Monde. We didn't think it was all that it was hyped up to be for the huge line we waited in for a place to sit and the price.

I spoke with the lady at Rush It, she says they will be in the terminal right after you go through customs. You can drop off your bags with them and they will take them to the airport around 10:30 or so after the ship has been "offloaded". We have a 4:15 flight and plan on dropping off our bags then ride the street car and go to Jackson square (depending on the weather) and maybe the aquarium then head to the airport and pick up the bags around 2:30. She says there shouldn't be any problem.

I spoke with the lady at Rush It, she says they will be in the terminal right after you go through customs. You can drop off your bags with them and they will take them to the airport around 10:30 or so after the ship has been "offloaded". We have a 4:15 flight and plan on dropping off our bags then ride the street car and go to Jackson square (depending on the weather) and maybe the aquarium then head to the airport and pick up the bags around 2:30. She says there shouldn't be any problem.

Thanks for the information. That helps. I will have to give them a call.

Is the street car within walking distance? I can't remember. We rode the street car last time (from where you get the Beignets), but got off around the waterfront and walked back to our hotel. So, we never did ride it all the way to the port (which I believe when I had a map of the routes, it showed that it did go all the way there right?). When we went last time, we had someone on our roll call come and pick us up at the hotel and take us to the port. It seems like the port was right there on the main rode and within walking distance to almost everything. Correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally got around to calling "Rush-It" to have the bags delivered. They said you could either pre-pay or do it once you unload off the ship and go through customs. So, that's good. Then you pick up your luggage once you get to the airport (which they are located right beside Southwest, which is who we are flying with) and check the luggage in at the airline. They've been there 13 years they said. So, it sounds like this is what we will be doing.

I also contacted Airport Shuttle and was asking about their roundtrip shuttle service. They did tell me that they HAVE to pick you up from a hotel. They can't pick you up from a store, restaurant, or anything like that. So, that means I have to pick a hotel that they can pick me up from at 2pm (they said). Any suggestions on a "good hotel spot" that I should have them pick me up at? Should it be somewhere around the Riverwalk...like the Hilton area or something? Or a different location?

Ha you're on our flight home! lol I just read back to the beginning of the posts and saw your flight time and that you're on southwest. I was just looking at ours today or I might not have noticed the connection.

I'm sure we'll just cab it back to the airport. We've done the shuttle thing in Vegas and find ourselves frustrated with the stopping to pick up other passengers and such. We'd rather spend a little extra and go straight to the airport when we're ready.

Are you prebooking Advanced Checkin/Rush it? I keep going back and forth between prebooking and just dropping stuff off. I think I'd rather book though just so I know it's done.

What are your plans for the day after we get off the ship? I'm sure we'll wonder around Jackson Square some and then probably head towards Bourbon St for a bit too. Not real sure on our plans. I would say not to pick a hotel near the port/riverwalk because most likely you won't do much in that area after the cruise. If I were you, I would probably pick something close to Jackson Sq. It's a short walk from there to the French Quarter or Royal St and there's a lot to do just around the square. It would probably be a safe place to plan to get picked up close to whatever you ended up doing. IMHO

Ha you're on our flight home! lol I just read back to the beginning of the posts and saw your flight time and that you're on southwest. I was just looking at ours today or I might not have noticed the connection.

I'm sure we'll just cab it back to the airport. We've done the shuttle thing in Vegas and find ourselves frustrated with the stopping to pick up other passengers and such. We'd rather spend a little extra and go straight to the airport when we're ready.

Are you prebooking Advanced Checkin/Rush it? I keep going back and forth between prebooking and just dropping stuff off. I think I'd rather book though just so I know it's done.

What are your plans for the day after we get off the ship? I'm sure we'll wonder around Jackson Square some and then probably head towards Bourbon St for a bit too. Not real sure on our plans. I would say not to pick a hotel near the port/riverwalk because most likely you won't do much in that area after the cruise. If I were you, I would probably pick something close to Jackson Sq. It's a short walk from there to the French Quarter or Royal St and there's a lot to do just around the square. It would probably be a safe place to plan to get picked up close to whatever you ended up doing. IMHO

Wow, that is so cool that we are on the same flight. :p

I know they said that they have to pick up by 2pm, so I figured that would be plenty enough time to get to the airport (if there happens to be others getting on during that time frame as well).

I thought about pre-booking, but have decided against it since you can just walk up and do it instead and you never know if plans get changed. I think if it was to be bad weather or raining out when we return the last thing we'd want to do is be out walking in it and we'd probably just go straight to the airport and hang out (wouldn't be happy about it, but would be dry).

We haven't really made plans. We thought we'd just head out of the port walking and head toward the Riverwalk and Jackson Sq. There's nothing really that we have to do or see. I really don't want to do anything where we are spending a bunch of money (like the aquirium or whatever) since we will just be getting back from the cruise. I love to take pictures, so I'll probably just want to see the sites.

I'm going to have to google maps the area and see what there is around there and a hotel to give them a name of...just in case.

What do you guys plan on doing?

Wow, that is so cool that we are on the same flight. :p

I know they said that they have to pick up by 2pm, so I figured that would be plenty enough time to get to the airport (if there happens to be others getting on during that time frame as well).

I thought about pre-booking, but have decided against it since you can just walk up and do it instead and you never know if plans get changed. I think if it was to be bad weather or raining out when we return the last thing we'd want to do is be out walking in it and we'd probably just go straight to the airport and hang out (wouldn't be happy about it, but would be dry).

We haven't really made plans. We thought we'd just head out of the port walking and head toward the Riverwalk and Jackson Sq. There's nothing really that we have to do or see. I really don't want to do anything where we are spending a bunch of money (like the aquirium or whatever) since we will just be getting back from the cruise. I love to take pictures, so I'll probably just want to see the sites.

I'm going to have to google maps the area and see what there is around there and a hotel to give them a name of...just in case.

What do you guys plan on doing?

If you're mostly interested in taking pictures you'll love Jackson Square. The cathedral behind the square is so beautiful, both outside and in. Other hotels near by include the Inn on Bourbon (I think thats what it's called) and the royal Omni. They are both a couple blocks but the blocks are small, you won't mind the walk.

There is an old convent several blocks from the square that I'm very interested in touring but haven't made it so far. Not sure if they are open on Sundays but if so we might be doing that. I'm sure we'll be grabbing one last yummy lunch in NOLA, we absolutely love the food in this city! lol

If you're mostly interested in taking pictures you'll love Jackson Square. The cathedral behind the square is so beautiful, both outside and in. Other hotels near by include the Inn on Bourbon (I think thats what it's called) and the royal Omni. They are both a couple blocks but the blocks are small, you won't mind the walk.

There is an old convent several blocks from the square that I'm very interested in touring but haven't made it so far. Not sure if they are open on Sundays but if so we might be doing that. I'm sure we'll be grabbing one last yummy lunch in NOLA, we absolutely love the food in this city! lol

Yea, I love Jackson Square with the Cathedral and the horse drawn buggys. It was simply beautiful. We couldn't go inside last time, they were having a wedding that day. What a beautiful place to have a wedding!

IMG_4793-M.jpg

I will check into seeing where those hotels are that you mentioned. Maybe they just weren't marked on the map.

Yea, I love Jackson Square with the Cathedral and the horse drawn buggys. It was simply beautiful. We couldn't go inside last time, they were having a wedding that day. What a beautiful place to have a wedding!

IMG_4793-M.jpg

I will check into seeing where those hotels are that you mentioned. Maybe they just weren't marked on the map.

There was a couple getting married outside by the statue when we were there in April. It was such a beautiful background. I didn't know you could get married in the cathedral, I'm sure it would be stunning!! I'm sure we'll go in again, it's just so breathtaking!

I did check and the convent I want to tour isn't open on Sundays (I was afraid of that, pretty sure it's why I missed it the last time). I think we'll try and go see it Saturday before the cruise instead then. DH isn't super interested in it but I can't wait to see it!!

Approximately how much did the cab cost from the cruise terminal to the airport?

I think it's about $36 - in my experience airport shuttle services are typically the same as or as expensive as they charge by the head. The best I can come up with on the shuttle is $36 each to my hotel, roundtrip.

Taking into the consideration the hassle of no port pickup, grab a cab on your schedule (especially if you have small kids) and no other stops (shared ride). Accordingly, I always grab a cab if there is more than one of us.

Approximately how much did the cab cost from the cruise terminal to the airport?

Flat fee of $35 for the first two persons, $12 per person for three or more, plus a $1 fuel surcharge per trip (not passenger).

How are the Shawangunks looking on this nice sunny day. :-)

Archived