Cruising with a 2 year old- camp and potty questions

cruzinlisa

Okay some of these may be as much parenting questions as they are cruising questions, but here goes. This will be long, bear with me please:

My DD is currently 21 months. She will be 2 years and 3 months when we go on our cruise on Carnival Conquest in April. One of the reasons we booked a cruise this vacation instead of Disney World, Florida or other vacation options is that Carnival has Camp Carnival starting at 2 years old. We figured she will have a chance to play :) and mom and dad have a chance to relax and get a little break each day. :D I don't expect her to go all day every day, but even a few hours would be nice and I think it will help maintain structure to her day on sea days.

She has been going to a private baby sitter since she was 6 weeks old. My baby sitter has had just a few other kids (besides her own) at a time, so its almost like being with family. I ASSUMED she would have no trouble with camp. But lately she has started to develop separation anxiety/stranger anxiety, when not around familiar people. She is fine to drop off at sitters or grandma and grandpas but even semi familiar places (church nursery where she goes weekly) she will cry. This is my first child, so I don't know, is this something that she will likely grow out of in six months? Assuming that she does not, she will probably cry a little and cling when we drop her off. Generally within a few minutes, once engaged in something else, she will stop crying and play. Is this a going to be a huge problem or is this something that the Camp Carnival counselors are used to? If she absolutely hates it, we won't take her to camp, which will be disappointing, but of course we will deal. But I think it would be good for her, to be able to play with lots of toys, run around, and do things she really can't do outside of that room.

My other question is a potty question. We are working on generating interest in the potty now, so I imagine she will either be potty trained or working on it. Has anyone had issues with toddlers and the toilets on a cruise ship. If I remember correctly the ones in the cabin are not really high up and are manual flush, right? As far as camp goes, I know that Carnival (unlike many other lines) will change diapers. Will they assist her at all. I am not expecting them to potty train her, but minimal assistance. I will try to make sure to dress in her things that don't require snaps or buttons.

Thanks in advance. I know my cruise is a ways away and a lot will change with my DD in 6 months, but I want to work on whatever I can now.

If your child cries at first and then stops, they will keep her entertained. If...and that's a big if!....she continues, they will call you...so no worries...they won't let her just sit and cry for hours! And yes, she may very well "grow out" of the stranger fear. It's just something that you'll play by ear!

I do think the Camp Carnival staff will help with the toilet....I don't know if they will change diapers. If an "accident" happens, they will call you.

Just go without hard and fast plans....and all will be good!

Carnival will change diapers if diapers, wipes and change of clothes are provided. They will also assist with toileting. We used to bring DS's diapers, wipes, change of clothing in a small backpack with his name on it. Many times they have changed him.

The staff can be hit or miss as far as what they will tolerate. Some will not let you leave if they are crying hysterically. Others will try to engage the kids but call you after a few minutes if they are still crying. Honestly I have found Carnival to be the least nurturing/engaing out of the kids camps. We have also sailed Disney, Rccl and NCL. As you can see by my signature we have alot of experience with Camp Carnival. My 7 year-old has sailed 14 times since the age of 7 months and my 3 year-old 8 times since he was 8 month-old.

Some tips we use, definitely tour the camp embarkation day with your child so he/she can become familiar with it while you are there. If other children are there try to introduce them. Look at pictures (search webshots) before you go so you can prepare your child at home. Talk up how much fun it will be. Go to the family welcome aboard party the first night in the disco. Your child will meet his/her counselors then. Bring extra toys onboard just in case and if they stay in camp great, if not you have a back-up.

My DD is currently 21 months. She will be 2 years and 3 months when we go on our cruise on Carnival Conquest in April.

As you noted, a lot will change in the next 6 months. She will go from a toddler and all of the sudden she'll be a little girl (my older DD is 2 years, 8 months). This is such a fun time in your child's life, and she is going to change SO much.

But lately she has started to develop separation anxiety/stranger anxiety, when not around familiar people. She is fine to drop off at sitters or grandma and grandpas but even semi familiar places (church nursery where she goes weekly) she will cry. This is my first child, so I don't know, is this something that she will likely grow out of in six months?

[/Quote]

It really depends on the kid, and it could change from day to day. I think previous posters have given you great advice as to how to get her acclimated. Our day care provider is similar- just my 2 daughters and another little girl. The first time I took our older DD to back up day care (through my husband's employer), we were nervous wrecks. She LOVED it. The staff will be better trained to handle hesitant and clingy kids than your church nursery would be.

My other question is a potty question. We are working on generating interest in the potty now, so I imagine she will either be potty trained or working on it.

Lol. Yes, there is a chance that she may be potty trained, but 2 years and 3 months is very young to be potty trained consistently. My DD started going on the potty at 18 months. Here we are, over a year later, and she is not yet trained (though she goes several times a day). Kids can be stubborn, and they can regress. We are hoping and praying that she is fully trained by our cruise in March so that she can enjoy the kids program on RCL and use the pool. (And so that we only have to bring diapers for one kid, not two!). If I were you, I would hope for potty training but plan for diapers. Even if she seems to be potty trained by then, the craziness of travel could pose some issues, so plan on bringing a good supply of pull ups. Even if our daughter is fully potty trained by our cruise, I will still probably plan on wearing pull ups on her when we are in port. Sometimes you can't get to a bathroom quick enough!

One thing that you may want to look into, that I am also considering, is that they sell fold-up potty seats that you can place over toilets for little ones. They sell them for $8 or $9 on Amazon.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope she does grow out of the clinginess/stranger anxiety soon. Lately whenever we are around anyone she does not know to well she starts acting so shy, so I am not sure if its an almost 2 year old thing or a personality thing. I don't think she would cry too long, at Church she usually cries a little when we walk in, but she will go to the toys and I will sneak away. She is easily distracted by toys (what kid isn't right). I am just worried that they won't let us leave if she is crying. But I guess they are used to dealing with children so they are probably used to little ones being apprehensive. We did use some after hours baby sitting last cruise (she was 15 months) but she was not as clingy then.

I probably will be a little disappointed if she does not like camp. Last cruise camp was not an option and we had a toddler that wanted to go go go but had no where to run and play. So she was stir crazy. Add overstimilation and not wanting to nap and you get the idea. I just want to avoid that this time.

I guess I need to come up with Plan B as to how to get her to use up energy if camp does not work out. There are not a lot of places for little people to run around (or even walk at times). Ideas for that.

One of my twins wouldn't stay at Camp at 2 (we went the week after they turned two). I still got some free time by taking her in her stroller after she fell asleep at night.

I brought a step stool for my girls to use in the cabin bathroom. A plastic one doesn't take up any room in the suitcase and doesn't weigh much. In camp it's all kid sized.

Best,

Mia

Archived